Stories about dumb times for Hired Thugs to show up

Excaliburp

Most players should have encountered those Hired Thugs at least once by now, and since they'll follow you anywhere, they tend to show up at the worst possible times, whether for you or for them. I have a few, but I'll try to keep them short, since they're mostly about the thugs getting their asses handed to them by other NPCs.

First one is at High Hrothgar. You can already tell how bad this is gonna turn out. I was in the middle of the shout tutorial session, and had just went outside to learn Whirlwind Sprint, but Borri was taking his time to leave the building, so I did a quick wait-1-hour. Along with the Greybeards came the Hired Thugs, happily strolling along with them old men towards me. Declaration of intent to kill follows, and they start chopping. I start running away to summon a flame atronach since I was a squishy mage, then I turn around just in time to see the whole fight stopped by repeated Ice Form shouts. The Greybeards then mopped up with some more breath shouts. I didn't even get to do anything. Unfortunately, Lydia was caught in the crossfire, so when she thawed out, she immediately started hacking away at one of the Greybeards. More Ice Forms. Then when she went into her crawling "Hold on a sec, lemme catch my breath" animation, the Greybeards turned on me. Needless to say, before long I was pressing F9 while watching my frozen tumbling corpse.

My second story is from another one of my characters. There's that Thieves Guild quest that ends with you on the lying ground during a cutscene, and get carried out of the dungeon afterwards. So my character wakes up and I'm talking to the NPC lady. Remember, this game's conversations happen in real time? Well, in the background, behind the NPC, there was this familiar-looking trio slowly walking up the staircase that goes down into the dungeon entrance. I hurriedly finish off all the conversation options just in time to break conversation and hear their opening line. Combat starts, I move back to try and spread them out a little among the rocks and debris, only to see the NPC who I was talking to earlier kicking the crap outta the guy at the back. I think I managed to get a total of 2 dual-wield power attacks in before she wiped them out.

There's something to be said about their job dedication, despite their tendency to fail spectacularly. One group follows me all the way up the 7000 Steps, and the other follows me all the way through a long dungeon filled with deathtraps, only to turn around and walk right back through all that once I get brought out of it, presumably through one of those special dungeon shortcut exits that brings you back near the entrance.

So, anybody have any stories to share?

They showed up at Riften ten seconds after I went full werewolf, surrounded by guards. I bashed a couple heads and swam for it. The guards got their murder on.

They usually show up after I discover Anise's secret (the old woman in the house between Bleak Fallow's exit and Riverwood) and end up having to kill her because she attacks me. Last time I was battling the mercs at Goldenglow Estate for the Thieves and suddenly had 7 enemies on my neck instead of "just" 4...

I got surprised at Riften gates by them, and they were doing fire damage. I was totally unprepared and managed to kill one of them, looted him and ran back inside the city. I had a slit of life left and no potions so I sprinted into the temple of Mara and hid, which worked.

On reading the contract it was one of the Riften guards that had hired them (wtf?). That explains why the guards wouldn't help me but why oh why the contract? I had no bounty and everything I had done (eg stolen) was done in pure sneak mode... I hate psychic guards!

I think I will kill all the Riften guards when I'm bif enuff :armscrossed:

They showed up during the day in the middle of the College of Winterhold after I became Arch Mage. They were quickly magicked into the ground by various apprentices and teachers. The thugs were sent by some mage at the college that I stole some frost salt or a mammoth tusk from. I can't remember which. The messed up thing was that it was a clean steal with no witnesses. Edited by justwannaddl

Right after I sacrificed Lydia at the alter of Boethia, some thugs showed up, well they got sacrificed right along with Lydia, lol.

The hit was sent by Solitude guards, for randomly stealing stuff in solitude. I guess none of them had a good enough knee to go out and go adventuring for me.

Edited by Beriallord

not sure the name but the cave with the miners and werewolf hunters talking about it. saved it, killed the miners. they said " are job here is done " took a few steps down the road, then got pwned by thugs which came after me for stealing. this was a about 5 days ago... :thumbsup:

turned into a massive graveyard in minutes, about the only time i seen them.

I am sure some of you might know the location i am talking about.

Edited by Guss

I was standing on the wall outside of Whiterun and saw them walking up the road toward the main gate. I cast fury on one, and immediately the entire Khajiit encampment went after them. It was a bloodbath.

I don't even bother reading their notes, I couldn't care less who sent them. I appreciate the free (low end) gear.

Right after I sacrificed Lydia at the alter of Boethia, some thugs showed up, well they got sacrificed right along with Lydia, lol.

The hit was sent by Solitude guards, for randomly stealing stuff in solitude. I guess none of them had a good enough knee to go out and go adventuring for me.

Well then, they must have taken arrows to the knee to render them unfit for adverturning and ended up as guards?! :wallbash: