Toggle Always Run Is Killing Me

kberling

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've observed.. The only time it switches on me is if I happen to be holding down the shift key when a killing blow or conversation starts.

I had this for the first time yesturday. And as stated above, it happened when i followed someone by walking (holding shift). At some point the guy i followed started an interactive discussion and when it ended, i was automatically in walking mode, I didn't have to press shift anymore. I had to press caps lock to stay in running mode.

i guess than when i reconnect tonight, everything will be back to normal

I know it may seem stupid....

But if you hit CAPSLOCK it will toggle Auto Run on and off.

So in effect, it turns your SHIFT key from RUN... WALK.... RUN.... WALK

If you don't notice you pressed CAPS then you are messing with yourself :biggrin:

Right. CapLock is the default key for "Toggle Always Run". But what I'm saying, what is happening to me, is that in effect, capslock is turning itself on and off.

this is happening to me aswell, cant say whats causing it, but guaranteed 30 mins of gameplay it'll happen multiple times... its switch by itself, lol.

Right. CapLock is the default key for "Toggle Always Run". But what I'm saying, what is happening to me, is that in effect, capslock is turning itself on and off.

Same thing happening to me. I thought this was not a bug but a "feature" because it only happens in palaces or inns.

There's a line in the .ini where you can choose whether you want running or walking to be the default. It's not a bug; just a poorly implemented feature.

as I said this may indeed be a feature. The reason behind is, that when you are in close quarters like houses or Inns (i never had it outside or in Caves or in Ruins etc.) its unusual to run around (when was the last time you saw somebody running indoors except for sport or house burning down?). I have to agree with "Rennn" here, it seems to be a poorly implemented feature.

Very low priority on the "fixing list" though!

• 3 months later...

I had this problem. But I quickly learned that it has to do with if your Running or Walking (Even Sprinting) When you do something, which almost always includes doors into new areas such as in/out of the College of Winterhold.

I have noticed a few instances where it toggled without entering/leaving an area, but in that case I believe I missed something or simply toggled it myself by incident.

Edit: What I mean is if your running when you "Open [whatever]" you'll be running on the other side by default and you'll need to toggle it back.

Edited by Cipherthe3vil

This happens to me every single time an NPC "grabs" my attention and takes control away from me. This will invariably flip the behavior of the Caps Lock key. Whenever this happened in Oblivion (there seemed to be various things other than this which would trigger it in that game) all that was necessary was to tab-out, hit the caps lock key, and then tab back in, again, and this would restore the "Always Run" function to being on when the Caps Lock key was on.

This doesn't work for me in Skyrim. I have to go through this process twice -- not just once, and, even then, it sometimes takes a third try to get things back the way I want them. Let's face it, folks. The PC interface for Skyrim is abysmal, even though I've heard that the Bethesda team had the PC in mind when they created the interface. My only comment has to be that nobody on that team must have ever actually used a PC in a game, much less the game they were designing. Don't expect this to get fixed any time in the foreseeable future. Bethesda couldn't care less at the moment about PC-specific problems. They have their hands full enough just trying to fix the the quest and game-breaking bugs that affect all the target platforms. And revamping parts of the game that aren't actually "broken". We probably shouldn't go there, though (smithing).