Toggle Always Run Is Killing Me

kberling

I have this problem too, and I use a controller to play the game (disability related). I do not HAVE a button mapped for Caps Lock -- there's literally no way for me to fat finger it because the button doesn't exist. It's insanely annoying because every time it happens, I have to pause the game, put down my controller, reach over to the keyboard on the table behind me and hit Caps Lock, then resume my game. It makes me want to bite something. I'm going to be forced to map a button to Caps Lock just so I don't have to keep doing this every time it decides to randomly switch itself to Always Run. I've noticed it happening frequently after a battle -- my theory before reading this thread was that it might be killcam related -- but I can't seem to reproduce it and I just don't know what's causing it. I'm relieved to hear it's not just me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only time I've noticed this happening to me is when I'm galloping along and hit "M" to look at the map before lifting my pinkie off the Shift key. When I come back, the caps lock is still off but I'm now just walking on Shift-W. I just hit the Caps Lock and forget about it. The only time it bothers me is when I Alt-Tab out to do something and find myself typing IN ALL CAPS.

I just push the left stick up on my pad while lying in bed, works for me :D

But seriously, i struggled to play Oblivion with the keyboard too many buttons to press and the auto run on their was terrible as well! :(

I've read all kinds of complaints and problems by others about Skyrim, especially concerning the PC user interface (which sucks like nothing has ever sucked in this world), and I've shared most of those problems. But I've not seen anyone mention "Toggle Always Run." In my game, the computer frequently switches on its own between run = W and run = Shift + W (I prefer run = Shift + W). Enter a new room, it switches. Go to a cutscene crtical kill during combat, it switches. Talk to somebody, it switches. Loot a body, same thing. This is literally getting me killed since I'll come out of a cutscene or enter a room needing to run only to find that I'm now walking and I have to hit caps lock to switch back. Very little margin for error in this game during combat which is fine but only so long as the game itself isn't sabotaging your efforts.

I'm asking about this because, since no one else has mentioned it, I'm wondering if the problem is specific to my set up. For me, this is really taking all the fun out of the game.

Got the same exact problem you described. I have no idea what is the root cause of this problem. I am not sure if my solution will work for you (or any of the other responded posters) as it will require you to spend some money.

I have a Logitech G13 Gamepad.With it I am able to program any keysets, macros, multi-keys and toggles I desire. I just use toggles and multi-keys to circumvent the problem. The problem still exist I just don't notice it.

I HIGHLY recommend the Gamepad to anyone out there playing games on a PC. It will forever change the quality of your experience. Unfortunately this solution will hit you in the wallet.

p.s. If you get one with a LCD you can use it in conjunction with FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/) to monitor your FPS, take movies and screen shots with zero performance hit! Yes, zero.

Edited by Glhadiator

Using a gamepad or any other controller doesn't fix the problem. As I stated, I use a DualShock (which was free with my PS3, incidentally) and it makes no difference. My keymapping software, XPadder, can do all the same keysets, macros, toggles etc as any gamepad on the market -- and a great deal more. But the issue still remains that no matter which keys\buttons you assign for movement, the game continues to arbitrarily do the equivalent of pressing the Toggle Always Run key whenever it chooses to. Once it's decided to go into Always Run mode all by itself, you will find yourself running whenever you move until you physically press the actual Toggle Always Run key\button to switch it back. That's what makes it so maddening.

Using a gamepad or any other controller doesn't fix the problem. As I stated, I use a DualShock (which was free with my PS3, incidentally) and it makes no difference. My keymapping software, XPadder, can do all the same keysets, macros, toggles etc as any gamepad on the market -- and a great deal more. But the issue still remains that no matter which keys\buttons you assign for movement, the game continues to arbitrarily do the equivalent of pressing the Toggle Always Run key whenever it chooses to. Once it's decided to go into Always Run mode all by itself, you will find yourself running whenever you move until you physically press the actual Toggle Always Run key\button to switch it back. That's what makes it so maddening.

A. I didn't say it would fix the problem, I said it is a work around (look up the word circumvent).

B. It sounds like you don't know what a G13 gamepad is, IMHO.

C. And for the record, I have six dual shock six-axis controllers. ( I know what their capabilities are.)

D. I concur with your stance on no one telling you their game controller method is better than yours. But don't you think you think you should afford the same respect to others? (especially since you weren't even the OP and advice wasn't even directed at/to you?)

E. If you feel the need to flame someone for making a suggestion you don't like perhaps you should consider starting your own topic. That way you can ask for advice and then slam people for giving it. :thumbsup: Unless you don't need advice due to your expertise.

I didn't mean to step on your toes there. If you took it the wrong way, I apologize.

I do know precisely what the G13 is. The reason I use a PS3 controller is due to disability; my hands are seriously arthritic and most of my fingers no longer bend properly, which makes it impossible to hit more than one key at the same time. I went through a whole lot of different gamepads and gaming mice and joysticks and assorted other gaming aids when I first started heavily playing PC games, and eventually discovered that my old DualShock + Xpadder work far better for my needs than the more expensive options out there. Everyone uses a gamepad for their own reasons, and if you find the G13 is best for what you want out of it, good for you. I have nothing against it.

My only issue is that when I read your post, you seemed very determined to sell people on the expensive G13 as if it were somehow able to make dealing with the Toggle Always Run bug easier. It doesn't. The only way to correct the bug once it occurs is to hit whatever key or button you have assigned to Toggle Always Run. For standard keyboard + mouse gamers, by default it's the Caps Lock key. All you need to do is hit that key. Not exactly a big deal when your hands are already right there on the keyboard. The bug isn't frustrating because it's annoying to correct; it's frustrating because it happens, period, and when it happens it tends to disrupt your gameplay. Correcting it is simple. Avoiding it ... is impossible.

What makes the bug so damned annoying is that when it first happens, it'll either slow your character in mid-stride or speed you up unexpectedly. There's always going to be an instant when you realize the toggle's been switched, and that instant is sometimes when you've just committed to an action only to find your character didn't react as expected. Once it's already happened, correcting it is as simple as hitting Caps Lock or whatever button is applicable, but it's too late to prevent that instant from occuring. The damage is already done as soon as your character starts moving unexpectedly slowly or quickly, usually at the most annoying moment possible. No gamepad or controller or any other thing will ever eliminate that aggravating instant. So in that regard there's absolutely no point in spending money on a G13 that can't fix the issue the same way a DualShock can't fix it.

That's all I meant to say.