Headgear Slots

evinhart

Hello fellow Fallout 3 lovers:

I downloaded the CRI Squad mod (excellent mod, a must have), and in it is the CRI version of the combat helmet. The special thing about this helmet is that when wearing it, I can still wear the CRI Targeter (included in CRI mod), and the Tactical Radio Headset mod (again, a must have). These mods come from different creators, and are completely unrelated. However, when I equip ANY other varients of the combat helmet added by mods, I cannot wear the headset. I have heard about 'equipment slots' (? not sure if that's the right term) and I want to know if there is a way for me to modify the equipment slots of combat helmets from other mods using programs like the GECK, Blender, Nifskope, GIMP (and any others I don't know about). I want to know if anybody can provide me with a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this, or direct me to a tutorial that already exists. Thank you for your time.

Here are the links to:

CRI Squad: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5717

Headset: http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=16783

Hope these links help

Looking in the GECK at Armors you will see Biped Object. This basically tells FO3 what "slots" the items uses on the NPC/Player. All of my examples are for use on the head. This is normally picked by the modder depending upon exactly what the mesh is and covers. It is really more or less to make sure things look right in game. If you look at the top and bottom items you see that both are basically full head cover helmets (Versions of a Stealth Helmet and Power Armor Helmet ), but the bottom one does not use the Headband slot. Another item that used that headband slot, such as a night vision goggle, could be worn with this item. I could easily change the top one and remove the Headband used slot and allow it to also use any item that needed to use the Headband slot. Keep in mind that this does not mean these items will look good together, but only means that you can wear them at the same time.

So if you want two items to be worn at the same time you just need to go into the GECK and make sure they don't use the same slots. The Tactical Radio Headset uses the Headband and Hat slots. So you need to open the GECK to edit whatever mod has the headgear you want to use with the TRH and Double-Click the Headgear you want to use it with and make sure the Headband and Hat slots are not highlighted by clicking on the slots to remove the highlight. In my examples I could use it with 2 and 4, but not 1 and 3. In the case of 1 I could remove the Headband Slot and since the Hat slot is not used it would then work ok.

Keep in mind that you can't just go crazy and change stuff at will with no issues. The items meshes still have to play nice with each other or you'll have a mess as they try to occupy the same space and overlap looking terrible.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resp87h9/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BipedObjectH.jpg