Changing the spells followers use.

zerther

Is there a way to change the spells followers use? I tried the addspell command in the console to give brelyna fireball, but she still uses firebolt. I'm kinda stumped.

Also tried hasspell and equipspell but i can't figure out exactly what those commands do/how to use them correctly.

Edited by zerther

From what I can tell the spells they use are influneced by the level of thier skill in that form of magic. Destruction for firebolt. Look in your talent tree to see how high it is in points to gain the -50% mp cost for the level of the spell. Novice, Adept, ect. I've tried giving my npc a mod damage boost, not force, and instead of using the low level flames, which don't ever make my npcs start killing each other, she was tossing fireballs which aoe'd and started a small war in my allies. :wallbash:

You probably need to use the console to add/remove which spells they have, using the "addspell" command, though I'm not sure if their is a "removespell" command or not. A list of spell ids can be found here. Also, depending on which follower you have, you may need to change the class, using the "setclass" command, and a list of those can be found here

So for example, what you would do is hit the "f" key to get into first person. Then, get your follower in front of you and press the ` key. With the console up, click your follower with the mouse, you should see a series of numbers and letters appear. Then type in: addspell 00012fd0, which would give the selected npc firebolt. Then enter command: setclass 0001317a, which would make the npc a combat elemental mage.

*edit*

I know the havgraven use fireballs, try changing the class to that and see what happens, though be careful and save your game before hand because I'm not sure what bad might happen.

*edit part 2*

You can also give npcs shout abilities with the console, one of which is a fireball. I've done this and it works, however, it will inflict damage on you if you're in the blast radius

Edited by snackynak

• 1 month later...

I figured this out myself with.. a lot of experimentation. The console command for equipping spells is "equipspell (Spell ID) Right or Left" or player.equipspell (Spell ID) Right or Left

For example, if you already have your follower or other npc selected by clicking on them you would type in "equipspell 0001c789 right".

Then the targeted npc would have fireball equipped in their right hand. If you want them to have it equipped in both hands, just do that same command but use "left" instead of "right" at the end of the command.

I'm not sure how long the npc will continue to use the spell, but if it's stronger than their other spells they 'should' use it indefinitely.

Edited by Xanins

• 5 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread and thanks, but did anyone figure bout how to remove a spell from a follower? What would the console command be?

I dunno the console command but there is a simple way if you use EFF just go into the trade menu on magic and transfer the spell you like to miss for follower to learn into your way and he will forgot than the spell, but this will just work if it´s not a spell from follower that he knows also rootspell

regards

• 7 months later...