• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

rwross

rwross

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 48 posts
Hi Guys...

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before; i did a search but didn't find anything.

Are there plans to have NMM include the option to launch Skyrim via SKSE and/or Skyrim 4GB.

My suggestion would be to have both as mutually exclusive checkbox options. Mutually exclusive because if NMM launches Skyrim 4GB then that program will launch SKSE itself if it finds it. Then there are folks who will not want to run the 4GB extender and, for them, just having the option to launch SKSE would be optimal.

I'm not sure how big a deal this is right now because there aren't a lot of .esp mods available with most mods being texture replacements until the CK is released. However, without SKSE integration into NMM, I don't see how folks will be able to manage the load order of their Mods and thus would have to choice between either launching via NMM w/o SKSE or launching via SKSE and forgoing all the utility provided by NMM.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems like a fairly important feature to be added...

q111

q111

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
SKSE can already be started with the NMM, simply instal SKSE in the right directory, then click on the dropdown to the SKSE-Option.

To start with 4GB Skyrim, simply go to the custom launch option of SKSE, then go to 4GBskyrim.exe (or whatever the exe is called); after that you can launch 4GB skyrim with SKSE together (since 4GBSkyrim automatically launch SKSE).

What would be useful is that the NMM make SKSE the default after it's installed. (to make 4GB default would be of no use, at least as Beth keep their promise, because in one of the next patches a LAA-Flag will be the default.

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Staff
  • 18,485 posts
NMM will already automatically launch SKSE if it is installed properly. And if there are no mods that require SKSE, then it doesn't do anything to your game one way or another. So why not install it now to save the trouble later?

NMM will not launch 4GB Skyrim unless it is told to using the settings to create a custom launch command. Which then launches 4GB Skyrim, which launches SKSE if it is installed.
Any check boxes would be redundantly redundant. :tongue:

If you don't want either one, just don't use them.

rwross

rwross

Journeyman

• Premium Member
  • 48 posts

NMM will already automatically launch SKSE if it is installed properly. And if there are no mods that require SKSE, then it doesn't do anything to your game one way or another. So why not install it now to save the trouble later?

NMM will not launch 4GB Skyrim unless it is told to using the settings to create a custom launch command. Which then launches 4GB Skyrim, which launches SKSE if it is installed.
Any check boxes would be redundantly redundant. :tongue:

If you don't want either one, just don't use them.

I agree...so the problem is with me, but I'm not clear how to accomplish either case...let me clarify.

I have SKSE installed in the same location as the Skyrim and NMM exes. There was mention above of a SKSE option pull down within NMM, but I didn't see that. Is it new? Currently NMM does NOT launch my SKSE and I do believe I've installed it properly because it does function as expected when I launch SKSE manually.

With respect to 4GB Skrim...can you provide an example of the customer launch commands to which you refer.

I'm sure part of my problem is that it's been over five years since I switched from PC to Mac and I've forgotten most of what I once knew about EXE launch parameters...so...I'm feeling rather dull ;-)

Thanks in advance...

bben46

bben46

• Staff
  • 18,485 posts
If you look closely at the Launch Skyrim button, there is a small arrow to the right, That is the pull down menu that has Launch SKSE and Launch Custom Skyrim.

However, as there is a new update to Skyrim today, SKSE will no longer work. It will be updated to work with the new version soon. One of the new feature of the new Skyrim version is an LAA patch built in that makes the 4GB mod redundant and no longer needed. :laugh: Best thing is to remove any 4GB patch you are using, and any custom launch that starts a 4GP batch and let the new version control that.

For now, until SKSE is updated you will be stuck with the Launch Skyrim only. And, any changes you made to the ini files are also gone, I hope you kept a backup. :thumbsup:

q111

q111

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
Oh, i didn't know that it automatically set SKSE as standard after its installed: but maybe i simple left NMM open when i installed SKSE, so this may be my mistake.

And IMHO there's no need to uninstall the 4GB patch if you have enough memory space, because it does not install anything in the skyrim directory.

bben46

bben46

• Staff
  • 18,485 posts
If you look at the launch button, there is a small arrow just to the right of 'Launch Skyrim' if you click on that you will get a drop down menu that allows starting with SKSE, or starting with your own custom launch command. Whatever you select in that list will be persistent - that means it will remember your choice and it will become the default. Sorry if I misled you into thinking that SKSE is auto started with the Launch Skyrim button. :facepalm:

Page loaded in: 1.070 seconds