Tried evreything and STILL getting CTD's? Here's the FIX

rayne58

This worked for me completley I used to only be able to run like two HD texture mods or else I would consistently CTD what I have is ENB and the 4 GB launcher but those werent doing the trick and I found this for my Battlefield 3 CTD's and it fixed skyrim as well 100%.

Fix:

Windows 7/Windows Vista

* In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.

* In the command prompt type this exactly:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

Then hit enter.

* Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.

* Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.

* Changes take effect on reboot.

Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES

Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.

Reboot and you are back to normal.

SOURCE

*This was not made by me I take no credit I am just sharing what I found and really worked for me.

**Do not PM me about how it works or any troubleshooting because well I dont know I just followed the directions.

I recommend reading this before you try out something like this on 32bit system or if you're getting errors. (It seems easy to undo luckily :) )

In other words: It's not 100% stable. If your system uses more than 1.5gb for kernel, as in your example where it gives 2.5gb to programs/1.5 to kernel, you'll get issues or a spam message saying you're out of space.

The kernel space is NOT the minimum amount of ram used when no other programs are running. Some drivers want to use the 2gb space from the start (even though it doesn't need it or actually use it).

Edited by Pronam

Okay so pretty much you just need to adjust that value I guess properly to the amount of ram you have for it to be stable im assuming? Thank you for the heads up too though with those seetings and 4 gb ram (32 bit 3326) avalible I seem to be pretty stable.

Also kernel memory is just what the drivers use??

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion.

Would this be viable on a 64 bit system? And If I had 8 GB of ram, would there be a way to utilize it all with this command? And if so, what would be the value I'd need to input?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, It's 4AM for me so I'm half asleep.

haha its all good, to be honest I really dont know I just found this and am sharing it but I would assume it works the same way and also I wouldnt tell it to use all 8gb as the other guy said you need room for drivers so maybe use half of your ram?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, thanks for the suggestion.

Would this be viable on a 64 bit system? And If I had 8 GB of ram, would there be a way to utilize it all with this command? And if so, what would be the value I'd need to input?

Sorry for playing 20 questions, It's 4AM for me so I'm half asleep.

As far as i know there is nothing you can do to make skyrim use all 8 GBs of ram. Even with LAA flagged in the most recent patched its rare for your system to even reach 4GB much less more. its why theres no reason to have more than 8gb or ram unless youre doing some serious multitasking- extra unused ram is just wasted.

Things will never really improve until someone in the game engine coding department at Bethesda, with more than 3 neurons connected, learns what the phrase "purge cell buffer' means, If i enter Breezehome, I don't really think the game needs to keep the textures for the mountains on the other side of Riverwood in memory right at that moment!

Also disabling AA, AF and TF will considerably improve stability, yes you get some 'jaggies' on certain textures but I'd much rather that than having a CTD every 5 to 20 mins

Disabling those ridiculous and pointless over-sized textures as well ... When will people learn that High Definition is NOT the same as High Resolution?

DX only uses the file size it needs to for your current screen resolution, hence the advantage of .dds files which include the pre-rendered 'mips' . The game will only use the closest in length to your current resolution and the position of the required texture on screen so unless you are running the game at 4000 x 4000 resolution it will never use 4096 x 4096 texture size in game period! If your running at say 1920 x 1200 the biggest file you would ever need is 2048 x 2048 and then only for large terrain areas. A chicken texture even at 512 x 512 is overkill as the chicken is probably only 20 x 20 pixels on screen.

Also the fact that many video cards being used currently barely support texture sizes of 2048 x 2048 let alone 4096 x 4096.

For example at 1920 x 1200:

With AA, AF or TF turned on your video card will 'blur' the main 2048 x 2048 texture file with the next size down "mip" but at a considerable cost to GPU power and memory because it has to load both versions, effectively doubling he amount of VRAM required, to display a 'filtered' version on screen.

With AA, AF and TF turned off, the game will select the next closest 'mip' in length below your current resolution and your video card will 'upscale' it to match your resolution, so hence the 'jaggies'

Having more detail in the texture is one thing (you could make a water texture just by having a flat blue square, but it won't look real good, you can however ad more "Definition" to the image without having to increase the actual overall texture size.

• 2 months later...