SkyEdit

Edmond Dantes

Hey everyone,

Has anyone tried to successfully use the SkyEdit to create a completely unique item with custom mesh? I tried making a new item in by duplicating a vanilla armor, giving it a new editor ID, then I clicked on "model" which I assumed is how to assigne the mesh for the item, but nothing happened. One of the button does nothing, and the other opens a menu where you can exchange your item model but only for other in-game model.

My question is, can you use SkyEdit to assign custom mesh or is this not part of the tool's capability? If it can, how to do it? (and yes, I have already asked in the official thread, still awaiting for a reply. Meanwhile I thought I'd ask here too)

I'd appreciate a reply from anyone who may have had experience using it. Thanks.

Have done this for weapons ... two points where supported

For Static Model, press the '...' thingee next to bring up another box (with info on what is originally there) where can enter a new Editor ID and then down at model just type in your pathing info to the 1stperson nif using. Apply or Save this (hitting copy button option to create a new FormID).

As for Model don't click the > thingee, just type in the pathing info to your new nif over what is there and hit apply (after have changed the E ID).

Also make sure have latest version of SkyEdit

For armor have done some circlets .. here just used Skyedit to build esp with new E ID/F ID item and features, then used Tesnip to edit the pathing to new nifs. I am sure other may be able to provide better info on this then me, but at this point, unless in the template field for SkyEdit, not sure that the latest version supports doing this for armors

Edited by jsnider193

Thanks for the replies guys,

Unfortunately, I've already done the things you suggested . Whenever I try to make a new esp I always load up the esm. And the button "..." next to the word "model" don't do anything at all. According to what you told me, another dialog box is supposed to show up, but for me, when I press it, nothing happens. I also tried manually typing, but I can't type anything in the text box next to model.

I read the instructions thoroughly and as far as I can tell, there is no special requirement for the install either. It's supposed to be able to run from anywhere. One thing I did notice though, is that if I try to run it with as administrator (which I am) sometimes it would says "fail to load Skyedit.ini in mode rt". Not sure what that means but basically I'm still stuck.

Anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Alright, so I suppose it really is no use to try and force it with armors. So far the only thing I got it working on was weapons. I'll just use TesSnip then for now.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

Thanks for the replies guys,

Unfortunately, I've already done the things you suggested . Whenever I try to make a new esp I always load up the esm. And the button "..." next to the word "model" don't do anything at all. According to what you told me, another dialog box is supposed to show up, but for me, when I press it, nothing happens. I also tried manually typing, but I can't type anything in the text box next to model.

I read the instructions thoroughly and as far as I can tell, there is no special requirement for the install either. It's supposed to be able to run from anywhere. One thing I did notice though, is that if I try to run it with as administrator (which I am) sometimes it would says "fail to load Skyedit.ini in mode rt". Not sure what that means but basically I'm still stuck.

Anyone else has any ideas I'd love to hear it.

Edit: Alright, so I suppose it really is no use to try and force it with armors. So far the only thing I got it working on was weapons. I'll just use TesSnip then for now.

Thanks again for the help guys.

I'd also appreciate a tutorial on custom armor meshes, but think that will have to wait.

I'd also appreciate a tutorial on custom armor meshes, but think that will have to wait.

No need to wait for that, there are already quite a bit of discussions going around about getting custom armors in-game. One of the most helpful thread I can think of is this one:

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/478312-tutorial-3ds-max-skinned-meshes-into-game/

There's also a video tutorial I think floating around somewhere about armor rigging, but I can't remember where. I'll post back if I find it.

Of course, if you meant making a custom armor from scratch then you'd probably need to find a tutorial for 3d modelling specific for your software.

Edited by Edmond Dantes

The dots open nothing but actually they must open the resource viewer.. so just open the resource viewer from the toolbar.. From there you must drag&drop your wanted mesh into the model but there's another problem. Resource viewer doesn't show the custom meshes.. maybe it will show yours ..

• 3 weeks later...
Yes you could try what Hayk says with opening it from the toolbar and then dragging it in. Also another way you could try is to secondary click on your armor from the main view and open it with batch edit or maybe even raw data (hex) and type in the path to the nif model manually like that.