Advice on spellsword build

sweagle

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking of playing a spellsword. I was considering playing an Imperial, but would a Breton make a better spellsword? I was considering using heavy armor, but the general consensus is you just don't need to if you put the right perks into alteration and use armor boosting spells?
I've done Imperial, they work fine, and the Voice of the Emperor comes in handy when you're in over your head. Your defensive skill is really a personal choice. Heavy Armor is passive, so it doesn't take time, nor magicka to cast, and is always on, so you don't find yourself unprotected when it wears off. Look at the respective trees, though, Alteration eventually gets to Magic Resistance, and Spell Absorbtion, which solid armor just doesn't do. If you stack it on a Breton, you can be very well protected from physical, and magickal damage. There's also no reason why you can't cast Ebonyflesh over your heavy armor for nigh invulnerability. An often missed option is doing without any of them, and playing a Glass Cannon, though you can't effectively use the spell/sword combo while avoiding the melee altogether.

I usually wear Robes, and heavy Boots/Gloves with a Dragon Priest Mask for minimal protection, magicka assistance, and little encumbrance. With Ebony Flesh, and my usual suit, I can get up to 250 armor, which is not bad, if not completely capped. On a Breton, with the Lord Stone, and all 3 MR perks, that's also 80% magic resistance, but lighter than full hide, so your stamina doesn't go down as fast from sprinting (which you'll have to do with Breton's stubby little legs.)

As for what's "Better", it's up to you. Bretons don't start with armor skills, but their natural resistance, and daily power synergise with the spellsword a little more. I usually prefer Redguard, but go with what you like.

As for 2H, I find the slower running speed, striking, and having to switch to cast anything to be too much of a penalty for better damage per strike. 1 handed weapons generally do better DPS, you just have to swing them more often, but having to put it away, and get magic out is the dealbreaker for me. Sometimes you need that healing RIGHT NOW! Try it out, you may get better results.

Edited by Psiberzerker

Redguard is a good choice also. That's one of the nice things about hybrid builds; they really can fit with almost any race even in the older games.

I find the distinction between a Spellsword and a Battlemage to be a lot more of a lore/RP distinction. Later on, a "Crusader" premade class appeared. I'd say if your emphasis is melee, with an offensive magic component you're a Crusader, if it's primarily offensive magic with melee backup that's a Battlemage, and if you are balanced, that's a Spellsword. There's certain other specializations that could be Knights, Paladins, Death/Shadowknights or quite a few other concepts from both TES and other universes. The history of a lot of these classes across the 5 games is varied; in Arena Battlemages wore leather, in the Skyrim game guide they're described as being in heavy armor. Go figure. Pick a name for your "class" that you like.

As to weapons, the thing I like with 2-handers is the alpha strike. DPS may be a bit lower, but you will one-shot a lot more weak opponents early on, especially if you are not skill training or doing the alch/enchant/smith thing.

Edited by Diamondeye97

To me, Spell/sword is a combo in both hands. Battlemage is more a swicth between magic, and melee, like the Ranged/2H hybrid. Crusader/Paladin would be mostly Restoration, armor, and a mace, like the Vigilants of Stendarr (especially if you're RPing to rid the realm of a specific Evil, like wiping out all Draugr for Meridia. I did that once, it took forever!) Shadow/Deathknight, or anti-paladin would probably be Conjuration, or more specifically Necromancy with the usual Knight kit of Armor, Hand Weapons, and possibly a Sheild (I call this varient Necroknight.) The last one would be a Nightblade, which I play pretty much classic, except for Destruction, which is kind of anti-stealth. Even with Quiet Casting, the mushroom cloud, and people running around on fire usually clues in even the dumber AIs that they just might be under attack. It's a handy fallback for when the jig is already up, and you may need to blast your way out, though.

As to weapons, the thing I like with 2-handers is the alpha strike. DPS may be a bit lower, but you will one-shot a lot more weak opponents early on, especially if you are not skill training or doing the alch/enchant/smith thing.

By "Alpha Strike", do you mean the Power Attack? It's indeed powerful, and a nice way to finish off enemies you softened up, or still slowed/burning/drained by destruction magic. The transition just slows me down, and if there're multiple survivors, that can still get you killed. That tactic is pretty much what I do with a Spell/Sword, use the blade, or mace to finish off anyone who gets close, or for Critical charges on Stamina while my magicka recovers. Oh yeah, I forgot Wuld can be real useful for clearing the melee after pulling off your strike. By the time you turn around, they're usually clumped into the blast radius, or path of Ice Storm. The debuffs from Destruction, or Illusion really help the hybrid, who may be weaker in melee due to his lack of specilization.

Personal preferance, again. the reason i like the Spellsword combo is that you have both out all the time, so if they're close, you hit them, if not you can Bolt them, without wasting time on transition. That, or Nightblade, which I play pretty much the same way, but with Stealth, and Mind Control, instead of out in the open with Destruction/Conjuration.

Edited by Psiberzerker

<snip>

Frost damage is a good enchantment type to start off with, especially if using a fast weapon, because the rapid strikes will prevent enemies from using power attacks at all, which is crucial to close combat survival. Absorb Health is also pretty cool because it enables you to maintain your offensive momentum for longer without stopping to heal, but it tends to be expensive/rare.

<snip>

Okay, back to the never-ending discussion. :thumbsup:

It took me awhile to get to, but damage stamina is my favorite dagger enchantment now and its pretty cheap for the amount of stamina drain. Have had a lot of luck with those daggers, frost cloak, and ice storm. Many people say there is a lot of frost resistance in the game, but I just don't see it. An ice storm from each hand is pretty cheap magicka wise and can drop a whole room full of bad guys, even if they're hiding behind something. Course, I've killed more followers with ice storm than any other AOE spell.

What enchantments do you put on apparel? I go for elemental and magic resist because the frost spells take care of most melee guys and resistance keeps the casters in back from frying me too quickly. Archers have been the bane of my guys for a long time now and have caused me more game restarts than anything else in Skyrim. If my characters had fantasy nightmares, they would be of ragdolls sliding across the floor with arrows sticking through their necks. I hate archers and they dictate a lot of my playstyle with weaker character classes. I've been 1-shot with over 200 health by archers. It seems that I need about 230 health, or the armor equivalent, to survive a serious archer shot. I've been thinking about health enchantments instead of resist just because of archers.

It took me awhile to get to, but damage stamina is my favorite dagger enchantment now and its pretty cheap for the amount of stamina drain. Have had a lot of luck with those daggers, frost cloak, and ice storm. Many people say there is a lot of frost resistance in the game, but I just don't see it. An ice storm from each hand is pretty cheap magicka wise and can drop a whole room full of bad guys, even if they're hiding behind something. Course, I've killed more followers with ice storm than any other AOE spell.

What enchantments do you put on apparel? I go for elemental and magic resist because the frost spells take care of most melee guys and resistance keeps the casters in back from frying me too quickly. Archers have been the bane of my guys for a long time now and have caused me more game restarts than anything else in Skyrim. If my characters had fantasy nightmares, they would be of ragdolls sliding across the floor with arrows sticking through their necks. I hate archers and they dictate a lot of my playstyle with weaker character classes. I've been 1-shot with over 200 health by archers. It seems that I need about 230 health, or the armor equivalent, to survive a serious archer shot. I've been thinking about health enchantments instead of resist just because of archers.

Depends on the build, but I'm a big fan of Absorb effects, especially Stamina, and Health, or Magicka for Nightblades, and Spellswords. If I'm resorting to the Blade on the latter, it's usually because I'm out, and combat has gotten close, so it's a quick way to recharge, while denying the enemy.

For clothing enchants, I usually go with Magicka Regen, and casting discounts, and/or fortify stats. I don't like to do the 100% off 2 schools build, because i figure Bethesda put Magicka in the game for some reason, and it makes playing a mage boringly easy, especially if it's Destruction. It's kind of nice to have Robes of somethingorother that don't look like the standard sets, though the Master Robes (male model) look trenchcoaty enough. If you clear the Imperial side of the Civil War, you can get Ulfric's clothes, which look stompy, and hold a lot of enchantment.

All that being said, my current Spellsword build's WoC is an Ebony handaxe with Firey Soultrap, (+Hack&Slash perk) because that's what works for his fighting style. He's also got a stack of Drainheart Swords, to drop in dual weild, because they're light, and keep the power attacks coming. I focus on Shock Resistance, because Magicka is his stock, and trade, but that's stacked on top of Magic Resistance, and Spell Absorbtion. He's not immune, to anything, but I like knowing I can be killed, it keeps me moving, and makes me enjoy it more when i do win through.

I don't have to point out how powerful Dragon preist masks are, both in Armor, and Enchantments. None of them can be reproduced by a player, Pharen's wearing Nahkriin most of the time, with Otar as a backup. That just leaves Boots, and gloves, which are Shock Resist, and Destruction respectively. I don't have Extra Effect yet, mostly from recharging experience without grinding on the Arcane Enchanter, with the Lightning Spammer, and Dragon Preist Staffs for backups. I did the Augment Element Perks early on, so the charges are depleting slower.

I'm thinking of making a female spellsword that is either a Breton or Imperial. Might go with Breton. I found a mithril armor on Steam Workshop (light armor) and I think that is what I'd like to have her wear (won't have access to it right away, though, need advanced smithing). I want to find an armor/attire that would be fitting for her and also would look good. I'd like to go with maces, and then do restoration magic and destruction magic in the other hand. For destruction magic, I'm thinking lightning and fire magic. I'll put some points into alteration so that I can use spells like ebony flesh. I'll need it later in the game, as I'll have no shield and won't be able to create strong fortify smithing potions (I won't put any perks into alchemy). I'll put some perks into enchanting, but not too many, as the game can become too easy with too many perks in enchanting.

A build I made with Skyrim calculator. http://skyrimcalculator.com/#149744

Edited by Dubnoman

I like that, what kinds of spells where you thinking about for it? You can power a lot of Destruction with Ward Absorb, as long as you have a Dragon/Preist, or other powerful mage to soak up. You shouldn't need that, and Alteration with the Scaled, as long as you don't tank, though the magic resistance perks might be handy. Definitely Breton, Imperial may have a slight skill boost in 1H, Restoration, and Destruction (a total of 15 SLs) but Breton's resistance, and daily minute of spell absorbtion would serve you longer. Also, you'll get more levels faster early on, to accellerate the build.

You might want to perk Dwarven Smithing for a stompier Mace. With what you have there, the highest teir of weapons you can get is Elven. If you were doing Axes, I'd say you could make do with Skyforge, but there is no Mace for that.

Edited by Psiberzerker

I like that, what kinds of spells where you thinking about for it? You can power a lot of Destruction with Ward Absorb, as long as you have a Dragon/Preist, or other powerful mage to soak up. You shouldn't need that, and Alteration with the Scaled, as long as you don't tank, though the magic resistance perks might be handy. Definitely Breton, Imperial may have a slight skill boost in 1H, Restoration, and Destruction (a total of 15 SLs) but Breton's resistance, and daily minute of spell absorbtion would serve you longer. Also, you'll get more levels faster early on, to accellerate the build.

You might want to perk Dwarven Smithing for a stompier Mace. With what you have there, the highest teir of weapons you can get is Elven. If you were doing Axes, I'd say you could make do with Skyforge, but there is no Mace for that.

Actually, there is a mod I found on Steam Workshop that has Skyforge Steel Maces. I'm using it right now with a female Nord warrior. You can craft them and temper them. I was thinking of going with Skyforge Steel Maces for this character. I might put more perks into enchanting, too. I don't want it to make the game too easy, but I want perks in enchanting for things like fortify one-handed for gauntlets and putting magic effects on maces.

Is there a mod that allows wards to reduce damage from melee attacks? I never played a magic user in Skyrim before, my understanding is that ward spells only reduce damage from spells coming your way.

Edit: Here is a new build I made. http://skyrimcalculator.com/#149920

I want to get into enchanting for weapons. I don't want to use too much enchanting because it can really make the game easy. I think I'll just buy fortify one-handed rings and pendants from merchants. I'll use one pendant and one ring, and if late in the game I find I could use another fortify one-handed ring, I'll buy a second one.

Edited by Dubnoman