CTD when casting bound sword

afx777

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me its crashing even if i use it on my left hand where as bound bow works fine but i havent tried the axe does any one know how to fix this problem?

• 3 weeks later...

running no mods that affect the spell.

left hand works just fine.. but right hand results in instant ctd

well my specs are as follows:

cpu = amd pehnom ii 4core @ 3.2

gpu = 2 x 5750 1 gb (only use 1 for skyrim)

os = win 7 64 bit

catalyst = 11.11c no caps

if this is also happening on xbox then maybe they will adress this in the next patch? one can hope...

Edited by hellstorm102

• 2 weeks later...

seriously this post is no help at all, am i seriously the only person on earth that has actually been working on finding the mod that courses this glitch? damn!

i have been trying to find the mod that courses this for months, but every time i let my guard down and install more then 1 mod at the same time i get this crash,

i seriously waisted more then 3 months on looking why this happens

now today it happened again right after i installed roughly 50 weapon and armor mods with some few bits and bobs like better horses and enchantment freedom

starting a new game wont solve the glich, it has something to do with the perks that enhance the bound weapon, only if you have a full perked conjuration tree then the glitch will happen, problem is in a new game you dont have those perks so you cant test it, when you get the perk and you save, shut down the game and re start the game the glitch starts all over

The following mod fixed the bound sword causing CTD in my game:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=16288

As a general suggestion, install the unofficial skyrim patch first, before installing specific-bug-fix mods such as the apparent helpful one above. That mod link is here:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=19

Edited by evolvingflesh

• 2 months later...
I don't know how long this bug has been in my game since I used the bound sword for the first or second time yesterday. I don't have any saves to go back to that don't have it and I really don't want to start over. Works fine in left hand but the right crashes it. All other bound weapons work fine. I have no perks for bound weapons. Someone said that saving as a werewolf might cause it and I might have done that. I don't get how that would affect the bound sword though. Edited by Inheritor901

• 3 weeks later...

Edit: I have to prefix this to state that I had the spell crashing me on either or both hands, and this did in fact fix me. This may not be the solution to all sources of crashes, and you don't need to start a new game if this works, so it's at least worth a try.

A thorough websearch on this issue lead me to a topic on another board. Not a member there, don't care to be, and I'm not going to link, but the credit for this goes to "arglargl" over at "skyrimforums.org".

So, here's what you do to fix the bug:

1. Unequip everything. EVERYTHING. Some things that don't seem to be enchanted still might give you effects.
  2. Check magic effects, make a list of what's left.
  3. Make a proper save just in case things go south.
  4. Open console, click yourself (or 'prid 14', whatever makes you happy), enter 'ressurect' and close the console.
  5. Check magic effects, note that the list is now empty.
  6. Cast Bound Sword, verify that it works. It should.
  7. F5, F9. Now all your perk-given and racial magic effects should be back.
  8. Check magic effects, use the console to replace the ones that didn't automatically return.
  9. Cast Bound Sword, verify it still works. It should. Make sure you verify with left hand, right hand, and both together.

To find and restore your magic effects, open console, use the HELP command: HELP "effect" ... surround the effect with quotes. For instance:

help "force without effort"

There will be a number of entries, shouldn't be too hard to read, but what you're looking for is the code next to the SPELL entry of your effect. Use the ADDSPELL console command to recover it:

player.addspell E8281

It's some unknown invisible spell effect that's being attached to the player. Knowing this, perhaps somebody with editor/script experience can track it down and annihilate the bug?

Edited by Krysee