CTD when casting bound sword

afx777

Hi everyone,

I also had this problem just about a hour ago for the first time. At first, I thought it was a random crash, then I realized the spell itself was the cause of these CTDs. Whenever I used "Bound Sword" spell, I got a CTD. Then I googled a bit, even watched a video about it on Youtube, read posts about it on various forums and many people mentioned that the CTDs only occur when the spell is used in the right hand. It was indeed the case for me as well. Apparently, there isn't any fix for it yet, except the one above, which is TBH rather ugly, as it removes all active effects including racial powers.

Well, I think I have found a better fix. I might also have found the reason for the CTDs as well. Read on...

************************************************************************************************************************

HERE'S MY FIX FOR BOUND SWORD CRASHES (CTDs)

************************************************************************************************************************

1. First of all, you must empty your inventory to see if there's anything wrong with it. BTW, this is an optional step and you may skip it if you like. Anyway, store all the items in your inventory in the nearest container (can even be a corpse). If you have items that you can't store in a container (such as quest items), then drop them using the following console command (unfortunately, you need the ID of that item to do this)...
    player.drop <ITEM_ID> <Count>
    (Count : Number of items you want to drop) (Here's an example, to drop 1 Unusual Gem use, player.drop 9dfbb 1)
  2. When you get rid of all the items in your inventory, you'll probably notice something strange, an invisible item in your inventory that weighs 1 (maybe more)!
  3. Well, never mind that, whatever it is, we'll get rid of it. To do that use the following command...
    player.resetinventory
  4. Now you have a bunch of stuff in your inventory. The command above resets your inventory and gives you a set of starting equipment.
  5. At this point, you may try using Bound Sword. Hopefully you won't get CTDs anymore.
  6. Notice that you haven't lost any of the active effects!
  7. So pick up the stuff you stored in the container and move on to a new adventure. Problem solved!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, all you need to do to fix this is to reset your inventory! You may just use player.resetinventory and move on. There's absolutely no need to use player.resurrect, don't use it. You may try player.recycleactor which doesn't remove racial powers and perk effects, but the cleanest solution is the one above.

Edited by Kinlar

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

I also had this problem just about a hour ago for the first time. At first, I thought it was a random crash, then I realized the spell itself was the cause of these CTDs. Whenever I used "Bound Sword" spell, I got a CTD. Then I googled a bit, even watched a video about it on Youtube, read posts about it on various forums and many people mentioned that the CTDs only occur when the spell is used in the right hand. It was indeed the case for me as well. Apparently, there isn't any fix for it yet, except the one above, which is TBH rather ugly, as it removes all active effects including racial powers.

Well, I think I have found a better fix. I might also have found the reason for the CTDs as well. Read on...

HERE'S MY FIX FOR BOUND SWORD CRASHES (CTDs)

1. First of all, you must empty your inventory to see if there's anything wrong with it. BTW, this is an optional step and you may skip it if you like. Anyway, store all the items in your inventory in the nearest container (can even be a corpse). If you have items that you can't store in a container (such as quest items), then drop them using the following console command (unfortunately, you need the ID of that item to do this)...
    player.drop <ITEM_ID> <Count>
    (Count : Number of items you want to drop) (Here's an example, to drop 1 Unusual Gem use, player.drop 9dfbb 1)
  2. When you get rid of all the items in your inventory, you'll probably notice something strange, an invisible item in your inventory that weighs 1 (maybe more)!
  3. Well, never mind that, whatever it is, we'll get rid of it. To do that use the following command...
    player.resetinventory
  4. Now you have a bunch of stuff in your inventory. The command above resets your inventory and gives you a set of starting equipment.
  5. At this point, you may try using Bound Sword. Hopefully you won't get CTDs anymore.
  6. Notice that you haven't lost any of the active effects!
  7. So pick up the stuff you stored in the container and move on to a new adventure. Problem solved!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, all you need to do to fix this is to reset your inventory! You may just use player.resetinventory and move on. There's absolutely no need to use player.resurrect, don't use it. You may try player.recycleactor which doesn't remove racial powers and perk effects, but the cleanest solution is the one above.

Well, that seems to have worked for me. Don't know how on earth you figured it out but nice work!

@Thenryb

My CTD fix may sound totally irrelevant, after all, what does your inventory have to do with your spells? I really don't know. Perhaps the player.resetinventory command not only resets your inventory and gives you some starting gear, but does something else that fixes the Bound Sword CTDs? BTW, did you have an invisible item in your inventory, like I mentioned in the fix?

• 4 weeks later...

@Kinlar...... YOU. ARE. A. LIFESAVER! I haven't played Skyrim for six months because of this annoying ctd, and because I'm too stubborn to start a new save. Then today I just thought that I should check out if someone has found a fix for this - and there's you, with your post. Oh dear lord you're great - IT WORKS!!! Thanks to you I can finally start enjoying this game and what it has to offer :)

Edit:

I actually didn't have an invisible item in my inventory but it worked anyway.

Edited by Tyrmas

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...