CTD when casting bound sword

afx777

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Kinlar

Thank you so much, your instructions and discovery of that command allowed my Mage to continue using one of her central spells. It's almost criminal that Bethesda doesn't allow console players access to commands for bug-fixing reasons such as this, knowing that this bug affects the Xbox version as well.

Edited by Aleryn27

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am getting this effect on my system now. It works on a save I created just a few days ago just fine but otherwise causes CTD the instant I cast Bound sword in either hand. But it's only the Bound sword.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Thanks for posting this solution! I just jumped back into Skyrim after picking up the Dragonborn DLC in the recent steam sale.

It was driving me crazy trying to figure out why casting bound sword or bound dagger in my right hand would immediately crash the game while they would both work fine in the left hand.

Your fix solved that problem and got rid of a few invisible items that were hogging some of my carry capacity as well.

PS - Sorry to bump an old thread, but it seems to still have some relevance!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I also had this problem just about a hour ago for the first time. At first, I thought it was a random crash, then I realized the spell itself was the cause of these CTDs. Whenever I used "Bound Sword" spell, I got a CTD. Then I googled a bit, even watched a video about it on Youtube, read posts about it on various forums and many people mentioned that the CTDs only occur when the spell is used in the right hand. It was indeed the case for me as well. Apparently, there isn't any fix for it yet, except the one above, which is TBH rather ugly, as it removes all active effects including racial powers.

Well, I think I have found a better fix. I might also have found the reason for the CTDs as well. Read on...

************************************************************************************************************************

HERE'S MY FIX FOR BOUND SWORD CRASHES (CTDs)

************************************************************************************************************************

• First of all, you must empty your inventory to see if there's anything wrong with it. BTW, this is an optional step and you may skip it if you like. Anyway, store all the items in your inventory in the nearest container (can even be a corpse). If you have items that you can't store in a container (such as quest items), then drop them using the following console command (unfortunately, you need the ID of that item to do this)...

player.drop <ITEM_ID> <Count>

(Count : Number of items you want to drop) (Here's an example, to drop 1 Unusual Gem use, player.drop 9dfbb 1)

• When you get rid of all the items in your inventory, you'll probably notice something strange, an invisible item in your inventory that weighs 1 (maybe more)!
  • Well, never mind that, whatever it is, we'll get rid of it. To do that use the following command...

player.resetinventory

• Now you have a bunch of stuff in your inventory. The command above resets your inventory and gives you a set of starting equipment.
  • At this point, you may try using Bound Sword. Hopefully you won't get CTDs anymore.
  • Notice that you haven't lost any of the active effects!
  • So pick up the stuff you stored in the container and move on to a new adventure. Problem solved!

Anyway, to cut a long story short, all you need to do to fix this is to reset your inventory! You may just use player.resetinventory and move on. There's absolutely no need to use player.resurrect, don't use it. You may try player.recycleactor which doesn't remove racial powers and perk effects, but the cleanest solution is the one above.

YSMIR'S BEARD, IT WORKS!

I just had the bug a while ago, and I don't know what happened. Googling brought me here. Awesome! For some reason, I had an invisible dwarven ballista and 5 hunting bows which weren't getting counted in my inventory. The dwarven ballista I think I know. I lost my dwarven sight bow when I updated the mod. But the others? O_o

Brelyna Maryon was staring at me as I danced dual weilding bound swords that does not send me out to Oblivion when I cast them.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...