Help with skyrim data folders

jdylan1

Ok i know for modding you have to install mods in to your skyrim data folder olthough when i go steam common aps skyrim it is empty no folders or anything if anyone could tell me where the folder might be it would be a big help thanks

Have you played the game with it like that?

From the sound of it, you need to (re)install the game.

yeah i have played the game and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it one more thing is that one i downloade it it was a disc i didn't get it directly of of steam another thing is this has happened to all my steam games

Well, the disc version still forces you to install it from steam unless you know the command to force install.

So your saying there is nothing in your skyrim folder at all?

Have you tried making it show you hidden files?

Are you on windows 7?

Im in guessing territory here...

nope there's nothing at all in the folders although when i right click on the desktop icon for it and click take to file location it takes me to another file in the games folder along with some other games that i bought e.g deus ex and empire total war but when i click on the skyrim folder the only folders are saves renderinfo skyrim and skyrim prefs also whenyou click on the skyrim or skyrim prefs it opens up a load of coding in there there is still no data folder in any skyrim folders also i am on windown 7 sorry for my rushed spelling Edited by jdylan1

nope there's nothing at all in the folders although when i right click on the desktop icon for it and click take to file location it takes me to another file in the games folder along with some other games that i bought e.g deus ex and empire total war but when i click on the skyrim folder the only folders are saves renderinfo skyrim and skyrim prefs also whenyou click on the skyrim or skyrim prefs it opens up a load of coding in there there is still no data folder in any skyrim folders

ooooooooohhhhhhhh

Ok

Your looking at the game saves, not the data files.

Im comfused because you stated at the beginning almost the correct file path for the data files.

The files you are describing above are located in the saves games section. re-post the file path you are looking at again? We'll get you fixed up...

nope there's nothing at all in the folders although when i right click on the desktop icon for it and click take to file location it takes me to another file in the games folder along with some other games that i bought e.g deus ex and empire total war but when i click on the skyrim folder the only folders are saves renderinfo skyrim and skyrim prefs also whenyou click on the skyrim or skyrim prefs it opens up a load of coding in there there is still no data folder in any skyrim folders

ooooooooohhhhhhhh

Ok

Im comfused because you stated at the beginning almost the correct file path for the data files.

The files you are describing above are located in the saves games section. re-post the file path you are looking at again? We'll get you fixed up...

ok the file path that i'm looking at WITH the save games files are documents my games skyrim and then saves witch just has a list of all my saves in it the file path WITHOUT any files in the folder at all is local disc steam common steamapps and then skyrim that has no files in it at all another file path WITHOUT anything in the folder is is program files x86 steam steamapps jdylan1 and then skyrim there is no steam folder located in my actual program files it is only located in program files x86 and local disc

ooooooooohhhhhhhh

Ok

ok the file path that i'm looking at WITH the save games files are documents my games skyrim and then saves witch just has a list of all my saves in it the file path WITHOUT any files in the folder at all is local disc steam common steamapps and then skyrim that has no files in it at all another file path WITHOUT anything in the folder is is program files x86 steam steamapps jdylan1 and then skyrim there is no steam folder located in my actual program files it is only located in program files x86 and local disc

Im confused as to how you got these multiple steam files under your save games.

You said that you have purchased other steam games but the file path your showing is programfilesx86/steam/steamapps/jdylan/skyrim. Is that right? How did jdylan get in there? im really curious...

The data folder your looking for should be in the x86 file path.

ooooooooohhhhhhhh

Ok

Im confused as to how you got these multiple steam files under your save games.

You said that you have purchased other steam games but the file path your showing is programfilesx86/steam/steamapps/jdylan/skyrim. Is that right? How did jdylan get in there? im really curious...

The data folder your looking for should be in the x86 file path.

yeah i don't understand how jdylan1 got in there either since thats my steam username the only folder to have saves in it is the skyrim file under my folder and all the times i have seen people installing mods to there skyrim game on steam they go in to program files and somehow find skyrim and data files but it's just as if my data folder is missing thanks for your help by the way

oh and programfilesx86/steam/steamapps/jdylan/skyrim yes that is the way to get in to my skyrim game folder that doesn't have any files in it the only way to get to saves is through the my games folder and then skyrim

Edited by jdylan1

Ok your save games should be under documents/mygames/skyrim - and only your ini files and save games should be in there

Your entire skyrim file directory where all your skyrim data is stored is under the program files x86 filepath at - steam/steamapps/common/skyrim - check to see if this filepath exists with the "common/skyrim" instead of searching "jdylan/skyrim"