Steam crashes as soon as i click play skyrim

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Canderis

Canderis

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 59 posts
When i launch skyrim from the shortcut, the steam folder, or in steam itself, steam crashes before i get to the launcher. Any ideas?

Colossus90

Colossus90

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You could uninstall and reinstall, restart your computer, run as administrator, repair install. Thats what pops in my head. I'm not so sure. Have you modded at all? Has the game ever worked?

Canderis

Canderis

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 59 posts
Ok, i uninstalled steam, and now it crashes when trying to reinstall skyrim. It worked before, then my computer crashed and i had to re-install windows.

Colossus90

Colossus90

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Since you reinstalled windows it should be more stable now. Win7?

Magnivore

Magnivore

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts
I'm getting the same sort of problem, except Skyrim crashes on main menu before I can choose an option. I haven't played it in about a week and I uninstalled the latest mods I put in just today and it's still crashing. I tried opening it both in Steam and SKSE and it still won't work. I have a list of mods that have always worked before, even last time I played, but now it just decides to crash without reason. I would love some help with this since I would like to play this game again.

Colossus90

Colossus90

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I'm getting the same sort of problem, except Skyrim crashes on main menu before I can choose an option. I haven't played it in about a week and I uninstalled the latest mods I put in just today and it's still crashing. I tried opening it both in Steam and SKSE and it still won't work. I have a list of mods that have always worked before, even last time I played, but now it just decides to crash without reason. I would love some help with this since I would like to play this game again.

There might still be some files from those mods left. I would look through the folders and make sure.

Canderis

Canderis

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 59 posts
Yea, windows 7

Magnivore

Magnivore

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

There might still be some files from those mods left. I would look through the folders and make sure.

How would I know which ones go to those though? Going through it, there are a LOT of files, and I wouldn't know how to sift through them properly. On that note I don't entirely trust 'delete everything, maybe re-install, activate mods again'.

Edited by Magnivore, 01 January 2012 - 10:07 PM.

Canderis

Canderis

Regular

• Premium Member
  • 59 posts
I figured out this problem is much bigger than just steam. Something screwed something up on my laptop so bad it gives me various errors from 70% of the programs i try to run. usually a dll error, or in steam's case, no error at all, just closes.

Page loaded in: 1.761 seconds