Racial consequences

GMatthews

I know that race doesn't greatly affect gameplay except some powers and resistances, but I was wondering about little ways how it affects interactions with NPCs and quests in the game.

I know if you play an Altmer and kill Ondolemar, the Thalmor Justiciar in Understone Keep, then a courier will deliver a small inheritance to you. On the other hand, 3 Thalmor brutes callously attacked me for standing close to them on a road -not very nice at level 4 but you'd think they'd be less likely to smack another elf around.

I also noticed the barkeep in Riverwood would not trade with me at first but I'm not sure if that had to do with a factor other than my race -like the time of night or if he had to sneak off to the outhouse once I left the inn.

I love subtle touches and atmosphere like this.

I know that race doesn't greatly affect gameplay except some powers and resistances, but I was wondering about little ways how it affects interactions with NPCs and quests in the game.

I know if you play an Altmer and kill Ondolemar, the Thalmor Justiciar in Understone Keep, then a courier will deliver a small inheritance to you. On the other hand, 3 Thalmor brutes callously attacked me for standing close to them on a road -not very nice at level 4 but you'd think they'd be less likely to smack another elf around.

I also noticed the barkeep in Riverwood would not trade with me at first but I'm not sure if that had to do with a factor other than my race -like the time of night or if he had to sneak off to the outhouse once I left the inn.

I love subtle touches and atmosphere like this.

Someone mentioned, that you coud do a quest as Altmer withhout problem because you are a Altmer. Unlike every other Race that has to fight.

But stuff like that is rare, if your lucky you get some lines depending on your race and thats it.

Edited by Cyrotek

An Altmer is supposed to be able to walk around the Thalmor Embassy during the related quest and talk to the (normally hostile) NPCs there freely, though this is supposed to only work while wearing the Hooded Thalmor Robes. When I did the quest as my Altmer character I just got attacked so I just killed everyone and didn't try to interact with them. Didn't discover until later that it was because Bethesda is dumb as dirt and placed the *non* hooded version of the Thalmor Robes in the embassy for you to take, which do not work. So therefore I didn't get to experience any cool dialogue. Darnit. :(

I've played through the game twice so far, once as a dunmer, and once as an imperial.

I really didn't notice many differences either way. The dark elves of the Grey Quarter accept Dunmers a bit more quickly than other races, but it didn't seem to affect quest progression at all. I also noticed that Irileth seemed to distrust my Dunmer more than my Imperial (despite the fact that my Dunmer did far more quests for the people of Whiterun) which struck me as odd.

I did notice, however, that there only seems to be one, "What is it, Imperial?" line recorded for male Nord voices (which is dripping with scorn),which gives the odd impression that even Nords serving in the Legion seem to hate Imperials.

I noticed that while playing as an Altmer, during the gourmet chef quest for the Dark Brotherhood, the lady who is a cook mentions that she's surprised to see a High Elf is the gourmet, because the recipes from the gourmet's book generally appeal to common folk.

Did she have a different response for other races?

Almost ever guard says to me "Don't cause trouble Redguard" or something to that affect.

Sometimes I want to kill them :laugh: Racist guards, stereotyping me all the time! It's like saying "Don't cause trouble black person" in real life.

I noticed that while playing as an Altmer, during the gourmet chef quest for the Dark Brotherhood, the lady who is a cook mentions that she's surprised to see a High Elf is the gourmet, because the recipes from the gourmet's book generally appeal to common folk.

Did she have a different response for other races?

Yes she did.

As a Khajiit, she says that she's surprised on how you manage to cook without your fur falling in the meals.

Besides such small details, there aren't really any consequences.

Honestly, I think it's ok that way. Otherwise the game would limit your favorite race from something, and that's not really a great idea since you would be forced to choose another race to play that content.

Honestly, I think it's ok that way. Otherwise the game would limit your favorite race from something, and that's not really a great idea since you would be forced to choose another race to play that content.

I wouldn't have any problem with that. I don't think I can count how many different characters I rolled out for Oblivion, and there are likely many more still to come. You own the game forever; are you really only going to play it once? Especially considering how many mods will soon be released?

I wouldn't have any problem with that. I don't think I can count how many different characters I rolled out for Oblivion, and there are likely many more still to come. You own the game forever; are you really only going to play it once? Especially considering how many mods will soon be released?

Off course not.

But some people, like me, play only with certain races. Personally, I only play as Khajiit or Argonians, so I would be missing out on that locked away content.

Now, that depends on the size of that content and how well it's made. A good way would be to make you do more complicated quests if you are not race X or similar.

If it would be done like that I would be fine with it.