Racial consequences

GMatthews

I know that race doesn't greatly affect gameplay except some powers and resistances, but I was wondering about little ways how it affects interactions with NPCs and quests in the game.

I know if you play an Altmer and kill Ondolemar, the Thalmor Justiciar in Understone Keep, then a courier will deliver a small inheritance to you. On the other hand, 3 Thalmor brutes callously attacked me for standing close to them on a road -not very nice at level 4 but you'd think they'd be less likely to smack another elf around.

You get an inheritance if you befriended a particular character who has died, regardless of your race.

I also noticed the barkeep in Riverwood would not trade with me at first but I'm not sure if that had to do with a factor other than my race -like the time of night or if he had to sneak off to the outhouse once I left the inn.

I love subtle touches and atmosphere like this.

I agree, I think the subtle touches were done very well. Playing as a Dunmer protagonist, some of the guards ask "what is it, elf?" when my character crosses their path. The elves in the Gray Quarter didn't have a problem with my protagonist, and one of them warned me that it was difficult for "those such as us." The Thalmor still view themselves as high and mighty over everyone else, and seem to have no problem trying to kill another elf.

While not directly related to the protagonist, the history of the Harbingers mentions men and women of different races becoming Harbinger as well, and the reaction some people had about that, possibly as an explanation for setting a precedent for non-Nords becoming members and Harbingers of the Companions.

I'm okay with it being little inconsequential things... or even bigger things if each race got equal lovin'.

I'm also a fan of beast races.

I played through Oblivion as a Khajiit.

I played through Morrowind as a Mog.

Skyrim I am considering on Khajiit, Argonian and Altmer to go all the way to the end. All 3 have just completed Bleak Falls Barrow so I gotta make a choice who to continue on.

Khajiit have always been my favorite but Bethesda really outdid themselves with the Argonian models. They are AMAZING!

I'm considering the Altmer because I like the idea of going against the Thalmor -though I think it would make more sense for the Justiciars that patrol the roads to not go hostile on me without provocation.

Edited by GMatthews

My current character is an Altmer/High Elf and the Thalmor still try to kill me indiscriminately. Calling me a "heretic". WTH? I'm not a heretic...

You should have a dialogue option when you see those guys to scream "I'm Altmer! Long live Thalmor! Down with the inferior races! Please don't hit me!!!!" and make a cowering animation. :biggrin:

Hmmm. I may make a mod of this once the CS somes out. lol

I have played an Imperial and a Nord....there is that older man in Riften who comments he can only handle the Imperial stench for so long and the Bar Keep in the Grey Quarter who says "Another Nord...splendid" and something about a Nord slumming it.....I was disappointed though at how easily my Nord is able to pick up the small mission involving Viola's ring, why would the shop keeper even confide in him (my Nord)?...I thought that quite bizarre....More of a reaction from Madannoch and his crew would have been cool too, one of the prisoners telling my Nord he just wished he had killed more Nords, some extra dialog or less easy trust there would have been great.

I thought it was odd that, as a Nord, Ulfric asked why I was fighting for Skyrim. When I told him it was my home, he said something along the lines of adopting my "new" home, as if I'd moved there. As a Nord.

It would have been nice if I'd been recognized as a native Nord, as opposed to, apparently, a Nord who grew up an orphan in Morrowind, returning to his ancestral homeland just in time to get arrested and sent to the headsman's block...

-Rog

An Altmer is supposed to be able to walk around the Thalmor Embassy during the related quest and talk to the (normally hostile) NPCs there freely, though this is supposed to only work while wearing the Hooded Thalmor Robes. When I did the quest as my Altmer character I just got attacked so I just killed everyone and didn't try to interact with them. Didn't discover until later that it was because Bethesda is dumb as dirt and placed the *non* hooded version of the Thalmor Robes in the embassy for you to take, which do not work. So therefore I didn't get to experience any cool dialogue. Darnit. :(

I did that quest and the hooded Thalmor robes worked, up until I entered the Solar building. I even got an interesting dialog option with the guard outside that building. He asked me "Why aren't you at your position Justiciar? Then I told him that Elenwyn needed to talk to him inside the Embassy. If my speech skill was low, he'd realize it was a trick and attack me. When my speech skill was high he said, "Why didn't you say so? Take over my post. Make sure nobody enters the solar."

Edited by drakkenfan

I noticed that while playing as an Altmer, during the gourmet chef quest for the Dark Brotherhood, the lady who is a cook mentions that she's surprised to see a High Elf is the gourmet, because the recipes from the gourmet's book generally appeal to common folk.

Did she have a different response for other races?

I wondered the same thing to. I was playing as a Breton and she said that she didn't expect me to be a Briton but that it wasn't surprising since all the famous cooks are Bretons.

Other then that I haven't really noticed anything too different as Bretons seem to get about the same treatment as Nords. I was really disappointing though that I couldn't join the foresworn or have some different dialogue options during the escape from cidnha mine quests. I would've loved to liberate the reach for the natives and those living in the warrens.