Laggy Skyrim

treebie

This is what was advertised that the 1.3 patch did.

General stability improvements

Optimize performance for Core 2 Duo CPUs (PC)

Fixed Radiant Story incorrectly filling certain roles

Fixed magic resistances not calculating properly

Fixed issue with placing books on bookshelves inside player purchased homes

Fixed dragon animation issues with saving and loading

Fixed Y-look input to scale correctly with framerate

I honestly cant tell you what in there would cause a drop in framerate.

But 15-30 is about right for that cpu and gpu set. Skyrim is very CPU core clock speed dependent. Take a look at the cpu benchmarks and their core clock speed on skyrim: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/skyrim-performance-benchmark,3074-9.html

Your CPU is operating at 1.6 ghz which is why you are barely getting 15-30 fps. If your turbo boost technology is on, your cpu shoud jump to 2.8 ghz and deliver more tolerable levels for playing.

To determine if your turbo boost is still working, go to your start menu and type - msconfig - and hit enter.

Click on the third tab which says - services

Click the check box in the bottom left corner that says - hide all microsoft services

You will see displayed all programs currently running in the background on your pc that are not related to your operating system.

You should have one that says - intel turbo boost technology. If it is labeled - running - then we can eliminate that as a cause for your fps drop. If it says - stopped - then that may be why your so slow.

Also, laptops can get very warm and will encounter problems if the gpu gets too warm. Download and install GPU-z. (its free) http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Click the "sensors" tab and check the box in the bottom corner to continue refreshing...

Start the game and play for a few minutes. Then pause and hit alt+tab and go to the desktop. View your gpu temp on the sensor log. If it is above 80 then that can be a cause of the fps slowdown. This is not likely, but its worthy of checking. Normally you'll see screen issues first.

Powdered I run it on the same settings as before the patch... I got decent framerates in 1.1.0 or whatever the first version. 1.03 killed it for me, and many others have said so as well. Unless they changed something it should be turbo boosting as it did before. Before 1.03 it used all cores. I am not unrealistic I do not expect to run Skyrim on high or ultra. but with the same settings with no shadows, the game has Horrid FPS with the newest patch.

are you sure it is not called something else? I do not see that program.

I do appreciate you mentioning that this could be the cause all along.

Edited by Nirrtix

Looking up your cpu, it comes with turbo boost. It should be there in the settings menu. Not being activated could be a problem.

IF by chance its there but listed as something else, or operates differently on non sandy bridge cpu's, you could install this utility to see if it is operational.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm

Looking up your cpu, it comes with turbo boost. It should be there in the settings menu. Not being activated could be a problem.

IF by chance its there but listed as something else, or operates differently on non sandy bridge cpu's, you could install this utility to see if it is operational.

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm

I have been confused about all of this... on HP's site there is a driver for the Intel Turbo Boost, but like you said it might be on the firmware. I could not find anything about the multiple cores in BIOS. I only saw the processor type and in device manager it shows 8 processors. I tried installing the Turbo Boost driver HP recommended for my computer, but when installing it said my computer "does not meet minimum requirements", which makes no sense.

I did download the program last night. It shows my processor going up to at one point 7gigaherts. I am not sure how accurate it is, the max my turbo boost is supposed to be around 3 gigahertz. Intel does make the gadget however. I am confused... (shrugs)

Edited by Nirrtix

Toast, I reinstalled windows... I think I do not need that program or something. The gadget you mentioned shows it boosting anyways up to 2.66. Anyhow I do not think that is the problem. I think it is the patch, and the fact that My machine could not afford the FPS loss. Hopefully they fix it. If not, like I said I will save my money next time Bethesda makes a game. Too bad, their games are fun when they work.

Hello all.

Just installed Skyrim last week, and disappointed with the running. At first the game would not run at all. This was fixed by disabling SLI then starting up the game. Turning SLI back on now runs the game fine. Even on low settings, the game gets choppy at times. Oddly, on ultra high settings, it isn't much worse and still playable. I have tried disabling vsync, but not much of a difference.

Any suggestions?

2x 8800 GTX

i7 950

6 gig RAM

Hello all.

Just installed Skyrim last week, and disappointed with the running. At first the game would not run at all. This was fixed by disabling SLI then starting up the game. Turning SLI back on now runs the game fine. Even on low settings, the game gets choppy at times. Oddly, on ultra high settings, it isn't much worse and still playable. I have tried disabling vsync, but not much of a difference.

Any suggestions?

2x 8800 GTX

i7 950

6 gig RAM

I think our problem is not our machines as much as it is the newest patch caused many people to get a performance hit. In our cases we cannot afford a performance hit. Bethesda obviously does not code patches well or test them well.

• 2 weeks later...

powdered toast

i tried what you told me to do and i dont have any turbo on my computer but i have a dual quad core i7 all with 2.8gHz

EDIT

just installed turbo monitor

I think its jsut the patch that messed everything up

Edited by treebie

Yeah, the patch is messed up.

On Vanilla Skyrim, I got around 40-70 FPS outside (Like in the fields near whiterun), but in caves, it dwindled to around 5-10 FPS. At current patch, I get a wierd stutter when I'm outside (Again, like the fields near Whiterun), but in snowy areas (Even when looking over Skyrim) I get anywhere between 35-65 FPS, and I get 80 FPS easilly in caves.

Oh Bethesda, you do confuse me.

If it makes any help, which it probably won't, my specs are :

DDR2 600MHZ (Combined, 300MHZ dual-line)

3.2 GHZ Intel Core 2 duo E6700

ATI Radeon HD 6670 using Catalyst 11.12, PCIE 1.1 X 16 (Yes, it's a PCIE2 card, but it doesn't come anywhere near to maxing out PCIE1.1)

Also, I can recommend trying out GameBooster. It helps...Sometimes.