Skyrim Hangs on Loading Screen when save point is outside

adwath

Currently any attempt to load into a save file that is located in an outside environment, such as in town or in the wilderness, the game freezes on the loading screen.

If I initially load into a file that is inside a house or dungeon it will load without a problem, and I can then proceed outside. (I have not played extensively in the program's current state so I don't know if it's stable).

I have been able to load from one identical outside file into another outside file (once the game has finish initializing using a inside save file).

I have tried re-saving the file after going into the game at a different location. But it still locks up on a direct attempt to continue.

Anyone have an idea as to the cause? Thank you for any help on this issue, thanks.

To Help Track Trouble shooting and maybe help others who may stumble upon this problem I'll track my T/S Here:

I have narrowed it down to one of the two *.INI files "Skyrimprefs" and "Skyrim"

Deleting the two files seems to clear the problem as it will refresh them when I attempt to start via the Skyrim menu window.

As to which line in these files causes this freeze with outside save files, I'm still in the dark as I don't recall making any direct changes to them between the times it was working and when it stopped.

I'm not looking forward to copy pasting the old *.ini files until it breaks again. So if anyone could narrow it down with their own observations my initial question is still open.

**Update**

Found the section that was causing the hang up. It could be an incompatability between a few map mods I down loaded and these skyrim.ini lines that I removed;

[MapMenu]

sMapCloudNIF=0

fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000

fMapWorldMinHeight=5000.0000

fMapWorldTransitionHeight=9000.0000

bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1

fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0

fWorldMapNearDepthBlurScale=0

fWorldMapMaximumDepthBlur=0

fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.2000

fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000

fMapWorldMinPitch=0.0000

fMapWorldYawRange=3600.0000

uLockedObjectMapLOD=8

uLockedTerrainLOD=8

fMapWorldCursorMoveArea=0.5000

fMapWorldHeightAdjustmentForce=100.0000

fMapLookMouseSpeed=4.0000

fMapMoveKeyboardSpeed=0.01

fMapZoomMouseSpeed=22.0000

Edited by adwath

Interesting,

I had a similar issue when I installed the Skrim HD full version texture pack (version 1.2). My game would hang on startup. I suspected memory issues, but inspection revealed I still had plenty of RAM free. Googling around, I couldn't find anyone with my specific problem. However, I came upon this thread, and realizing that I had recently added a [MapMenu] section in my Skyrim.ini file to tweak with the map, I decided to try to remove that on a hunch. This time, the game loaded up fine with the new textures. Go figure.

Eureka !

I was having consistent crashes when going from inside to outside in WhiteRun/DragonReach.

Having read Wthrman13's post, I realised that I had also added a [MapMenu] section as part of the 3D Map mod installation.

Just removed the complete [MapMenu] section from the INI file (and disabled the 3D Map mod) and all works fine again ! No crashes ... able to move in and out of all WhiteRun buildings just fine !

Thanks very much for the tip !!

N

Different day, different cause... same problem once again.

This time I narrowed it down to a wilderness sound mod.

I had used the games logging feature to track that one down. It wouldn't get far in if I tried to enter the game from an outside save. But when I logged in successfully inside a cave and moved outside it placed an entry in the log saying it was showing an error on a sound file.

It was odd though, it didn't have any problems initially but as some point a flaw appeared.

Hope this helps someone.

Interesting,

I had a similar issue when I installed the Skrim HD full version texture pack (version 1.2). My game would hang on startup. I suspected memory issues, but inspection revealed I still had plenty of RAM free. Googling around, I couldn't find anyone with my specific problem. However, I came upon this thread, and realizing that I had recently added a [MapMenu] section in my Skyrim.ini file to tweak with the map, I decided to try to remove that on a hunch. This time, the game loaded up fine with the new textures. Go figure.

Glad I could help someone narrow a problem down without having to scrub their entire INI files.

In the interest of helping others with similar problems search for a fix I'll add a few key phrases to help do a pin-point search;

Problem:

Skyrim Locks up ; freezes on loading screen ; Skyrim wont start outside ; sad panda ; someone punched my monitor and it wont turn on ... and now my hand hurts ; when loading a save file outside ; only starts inside or in a dungeon ; have to be inside ; etc.

Fix action:

It appears the [MapMenu] in the Skyrim.ini file can sometimes break outside save starts from a cold game load. As to which part I really haven't revisited those entry lines.

Local sound files also seems to cause a cold load freeze if they are missing or corrupted.

Lastly, These lines in your Skyrim.ini file are your friends. You might not be able to read the registry names but it may help you narrow down the cause like it did me. (a "Logs" folder will appear in your My Games\Skyrim folder)

[Papyrus]

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

It only saves the last 4 game start sessions by default. The only way to get any meaningful info is to find a place you can successfully load into then play until it inevatably crashes, then look through the file for entries that look bad like "error" "not found" or "memory freezing" and "Frozen" or "Thawing".

Hope this helps someone

Edited by adwath

• 3 months later...

It got rid of my infinite load screen, too.

You have no idea how happy I am to be able to play my mage again! I've invested so many hours into that character that I lost interest in the game after I couldn't load his save file.

M mmmmmm, for the first time (in weeks) I was able to play skyrim with all my cores enabled. Just removed these files (see below) from Skyrim.ini in mygames folder. also had these files from a 3D map mod uninstalled a while ago. Didn't need to use the affinity core trick. it loaded Skyrim in 3-4 seconds where before I was having never ending loads!!!! Whiterun, in and out of houses et cetera. Thanks for the heads up.

[MapMenu]

sMapCloudNIF=0

fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000

fMapWorldMinHeight=5000.0000

fMapWorldTransitionHeight=10000.0000

bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1

fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0

fWorldMapNearDepthBlurScale=0

fWorldMapMaximumDepthBlur=0

fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.2000

fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000

fMapWorldMinPitch=0.0000