Skyrim Hangs on Loading Screen when save point is outside

adwath

I went through a couple of problems with skyrim lately. After fixing these random crashes by using SBW, I finally played an hour without any problems. Unfortunately im not able to load save states with my character being outside any more.

Savegames inside a building are loading fine, but the game crashes when moving outside.

I couldnt get much out of the log file. I just wondered why it mentions Dawnguard as i dont have that addon (just Hearthfire). I activated the unofficial dawnguard patch once (thought it wouldnt harm and i was thinking about getting dawnguard anyway), but as the game didnt start with the USP for Dawnguard i cant think of it being responsible. especially as i managed to play for an hour after that.

I used BOSS and TESVEdit alreday to look up the load order and clean up some files i suspected, but it turned out this problem persists even if everything is taken out the load order except skyrim.esm

Maybe you guys can help me getting more info out of the Log file.

Many thanks in Advance

[04/12/2013 - 12:01:54AM] Papyrus log opened (PC)
[04/12/2013 - 12:01:54AM] Update budget: 1.200000ms (Extra tasklet budget: 1.200000ms, Load screen budget: 500.000000ms)
[04/12/2013 - 12:01:54AM] Memory page: 128 (min) 512 (max) 76800 (max total)
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:07AM] warning: Property pTG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script QF_TG05_00021551 attached to TG05 (00021551) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:07AM] warning: Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script tg06questscript attached to TG06 (00021552) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:08AM] VM is freezing...
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:08AM] VM is frozen
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:08AM] Reverting game...
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:08AM] warning: Property pTG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script QF_TG05_00021551 attached to TG05 (00021551) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:08AM] warning: Property TG05KarliahInvisibilitySpell on script tg06questscript attached to TG06 (00021552) cannot be initialized because the script no longer contains that property
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:13AM] Loading game...
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:13AM] VM is thawing...
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: File "Dawnguard.esm" does not exist or is not currently loaded.
stack:
<unknown self>.Game.GetFormFromFile() - "<native>" Line ?
[bYOHHouseBuilding (0200305D)].byohhousebuildingscript.InitializeOtherDLC() - "BYOHHouseBuildingScript.psc" Line 478
[alias Player on quest BYOHHouseBuilding (0200305D)].BYOHHouseBuildingPlayerScript.OnPlayerLoadGame() - "BYOHHouseBuildingPlayerScript.psc" Line 24
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call UnregisterForUpdate - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
[None].critterFish.UnregisterForUpdate() - "<native>" Line ?
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 281
[None].critterFish.OnCellDetach() - "CritterFish.psc" Line 292
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call UnregisterForUpdate - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
stack:
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call UnregisterForUpdateGameTime - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
[None].critterFish.UnregisterForUpdateGameTime() - "<native>" Line ?
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 282
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call UnregisterForUpdateGameTime - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
stack:
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] InitWidgetLoader()
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call Disable - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
[None].critterFish.Disable() - "<native>" Line ?
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 288
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call Disable - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
stack:
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call GetParentCell - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
[None].critterFish.GetParentCell() - "<native>" Line ?
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 294
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call GetParentCell - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
stack:
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call Delete - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
[None].ObjectReference.Delete() - "<native>" Line ?
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 300
[04/12/2013 - 12:02:14AM] Error: Unable to call Delete - no native object bound to the script object, or object is of incorrect type
stack:
stack:
stack:
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 303
stack:
stack:
stack:
[None].critterFish.disableAndDelete() - "Critter.psc" Line 307
stack:
stack:

note: I couldnt find any file called critter.psc or critterfish.psc in my skyrim directory.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this is weird. I uninstalled A Quality World Map, and loaded a save that was corrupted outside in Riften, and it worked.

I couldn't believe my eyes, so I re-installed it, loaded the file again, it wouldnt load.

Then I un-installed it again, and IT STILL DIDN'T WORK.

Something killed the save file when I re-installed the mod or something... This is giving me such a headache.

Edited by BaphometRX

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add a little more detail to the [mapmenu] ini tweaks causing that load problem with not loading the exterior areas. I read this thread having this problem myself.

Instead of completely deleting that section of the [mapmenu] I took a closer look at the mods I down loaded and what the mod authors had to say about ini tweaks.

I had down loaded "A Quality World Map - with roads" The author warned to not have "UnlockedTerrainLOD" tweak in the skyrim.ini file. That was fine, it wasn't there when I down loaded the mod. A short time later I down loaded "EzEs-Remove 3D Map Camera Limits". Now that mod auther recommended putting in that very same "UnlockedTerrainLOD" tweak. At that time is when I started installing these mods and I followed EzEs's ini tweaks, which put that "unlockedTerrainLOD" tweak in.

I took that one ini tweak out and the problem went away! Hopefully for good!! I hope this helps someone out there. The Devil is in the detail when it comes to modding I have been finding out.

I endorse this fix - it worked for me.

I have the Skyrim.ini tweaks from the very early map mod 'World Map in full 3D by Mikanoshi' :: http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/145/?tab=2&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D145&pUp=1

It has a set of [mapmenu] ini tweaks which includes "uLockedTerrainLOD=8" (note the spelling).

I commented out the line in my ini file and - bang - able to load outside scenes straight from the game start, after months of loading interior scenes first.

Have noticed a refinement on the one fix. I have to load recent saves for it to work. Ancient saves from months ago still crash. But one of them worked when I saved it as a NEW save.

So my advice is to only insert map tweaks if you know what may happen. There may be other map mods that work. Try the mods endorsed by the STEP project - High Quality 3D Map by Ethatron and A Quality World Map - With Roads by IcePenguin. But keep an eye out for [mapmenu] ini tweaks....

I have found (by using two monitors and using windows task manager on the second screen while playing) Skyrim tends to load up around 370MB of RAM to get to the title screen (I have the logo video disabled), now if you try to load a save game that takes the total Working set RAM usage OVER 1.8GB there is a good chance it will fail to load (really good if you use more than 20 mods), I have around 120 mods installed (I had to cut down to reduce the number of game crashes to a playable amount, used to be around 370 mods). On average when I play an interior save game will load up between 600MB and 1.2GB of used working set RAM for TESV.exe, an exterior cell will load up between 1.6GB and 2.4GB of working set RAM usage. 80% of the time if the current RAM usage is over 2GB when I am playing, then I know that my save most likely won't load. (I've also noticed that anytime I hit 2.45GB of working set ram my PC will freeze or BSOD, win7 x64 ultimate)

WORKAROUND:

load an interior save game (does not matter how old as far as I can tell, but the same character helps), then load the save you really want to play. This works 100% of the time for me when I have loading screen hangs (except when CTD during save, that might actually be a corrupted save file and I have had 4 of those in 420 hours of game play in Skyrim)

No BS, I have to do this about 20 times every time I try to play Skyrim as I CTD about once every 15-30 minutes while playing. I think having too much in your inventory has an affect on this as well, so try dumping unneeded items in a chest in your home if you are not going to sell them, additionally I constantly use the console to "disable" corpses, trying to keep the save file size down. After 420 hours of game play (180 with the same character) my saves are only just under 16MB each.

I will try the map idea, as I think I have one of the OLD high quality map mods installed.

Edited by finndo77

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi..same problem here, so I did a quick test.

Note there's no [MapMenu] in my ini file.

I disabled "A Quality World Map - With Roads" mod.

Loaded interior save, then loaded outside sucessfully.

Then enabled the mod again and I couldn't load.

Result: the mod causes the problem in my case..pity

Worked for me. BTW this was a great thread. Knowledgeable people, no digressions, with a solution. How often does that happen?

This whole thread was a great help. I removed my map mod too w/c was "A Quality World Map" and it now works! Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

I want to add another little interesting trick. If you ever happen go get stuck on an interior-exterior transistion ( = game wont load an exterior)

....open your map, zoom in and wiggle around a bit (RMB and move around).

No really. For one weird reason opening the map seems to load bits of the outside area which helps the engine load the "world" exterior properly on the transistion. Which means, you may be able to leave your prison of a city/house/dungeon if you get stuck when trying to leave it. Dont ask me, stumbled upon it by accident.

• 2 months later...

Thankyou so much Journeyman, for a while i've had infinite loading screens. And i thought it was one of my mods Wyrmstooth.esp was causing the issue. And finally i clicked on, and realised that when i loaded a save that was inside a building it would be ok, but if i loaded a save that was outside it would stay on the loading screen forever. Thanks to your thread i looked up "cant load saves outside" and found this! Quite weirdly though it is the "Quality world map - With roads" mod that is causing this problem in the INI tweaks. As again, thankyou so much!

• 5 months later...

I didn't have time to read all post so i don't know if this has been solved or not, but here is what you need to remove from [MapMenu] section in you Skyrim.ini to get rid of the freezes and crashes...

uLockedObjectMapLOD=8

is freezing/crashing the game when traveling to Skyrim from Solstheim

uLockedTerrainLOD=8

is crashing the game

(This don't effect A Quality World Map)

Also...

fMapWorldMaxHeight= //No longer required for Skyrim 1.8
fMapWorldMinHeight= //No longer required for Skyrim 1.8
fMapWorldInitialPitch= //No longer required for Skyrim 1.8

Edited by ceano