[WIP] Ethas: Embrace of Destiny

jhardingame

I think J summed it up pretty well with "you WILL have to have multiple characters to experience it all." For anyone who's played Alton and experienced the decision you have to make in the middle, consider Ethas's main quest something like that, but on ridiculous amounts of steroids. I can't wait to show you guys what we've been working on!

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you have a good mic, then I'm game to give ya a try. I'll add you to my "Voice Actors" bookmark folder and send ya PM when we actually get around to starting voices, which, this time around, I'm actually in charge of, instead of just being one of the voice actors who happened to end up doing more than voice acting when Eli was making Alton. :P (And yeah, I'm an audio nerd, so I'm real keen on mic quality thing xD)

I have a Shure SM58 and a decent audio interface to work with, so I think I should be OK on the mic front (although it's not completely amazing, I know). I don't think the recording quality will be the problem, anyhow. Let me know if that'll be sufficient or not.

What I did notice about Alton, Il is that a lot of the voices in game were a different level from the ones back in the Wasteland; this wasn't that much of a problem since I just had to reshuffle the volume settings in-game to make the balance a bit better, though.

As long as you have a good mic, then I'm game to give ya a try. I'll add you to my "Voice Actors" bookmark folder and send ya PM when we actually get around to starting voices, which, this time around, I'm actually in charge of, instead of just being one of the voice actors who happened to end up doing more than voice acting when Eli was making Alton. :P (And yeah, I'm an audio nerd, so I'm real keen on mic quality thing xD)

I have a Shure SM58 and a decent audio interface to work with, so I think I should be OK on the mic front (although it's not completely amazing, I know). I don't think the recording quality will be the problem, anyhow. Let me know if that'll be sufficient or not.

What I did notice about Alton, Il is that a lot of the voices in game were a different level from the ones back in the Wasteland; this wasn't that much of a problem since I just had to reshuffle the volume settings in-game to make the balance a bit better, though.

Yeah, as J said, he's taking over audio this time. I am definitely no expert in any field of game-related audio, thus the sometimes lacking voices in Alton. ;)

I have a Shure SM58 and a decent audio interface to work with, so I think I should be OK on the mic front (although it's not completely amazing, I know).

I wish I had an army of SM57's for my drumset. SM58 is plenty suffiient, they're pretty top of the line when it comes to live audio, and are just as good for voice recording, just gotta have a good audio interface and a good room with minimum noise, and you should be good to go. That's really the main thing about recording though, is controlling noise volume within a room. You get in a bad room, and it can make the best mics sound bad. But yeah, I'll send you a PM when we have actually parts written out and stuff. It won't be for a good while though as we're just starting development, but we have many different characters, and I'm sure we can find a place for you to fit in.

Edited by jhardingame

Are you guys sure you need the Skyrim framework at all? You sound like you got everything all planned out, so are you just using Skyrim for the textures and stuff, or is this all lore-based? :P

Based on our lore? Yes.

Based on Elder Scrolls lore? Not at all.

We had planned to do this mod for Skyrim before even any gameplay was shown. It was pretty much "Skyrim Announced - TIME TO MAKE A MOD!" We're gonna be making a lot of our own resources though to be used along side stuff from Skyrim, as well, our world isn't based isn't Nordic, and a lot of Skyrim's resources are, if you get what I mean.

Oooh. Okay. What I don't understand is why not make a separate game? :P You guys sound like you could handle it.

Not necessarily. That ends up packing up a far lot more than just having as a mod. Just to put in perspective;

As a mod, we can control our own degree of pace, and we're already working in familiar territory as we're both Fallout modding vets, so that already makes things far easier right off the bat.

As a game, we'd have to do the following;

1. Get an engine. Creation Engine is not an option, as Bethesda doesn't license it. This would require us to either use a third-party engine, or build our own. Neither me nor Eli have any idea how to build an engine, so that's already out. Using a third-party engine would mean having to re-learn essentially everything all over again, as we're using something completely different than what we used before. That would be fine, if we we're getting paid. But we're not getting paid to make this a game, we're modding it on our own free time. For free. And using Skyrim for free is just another plus, as using a third party engine and making it it's own game means we'd have to either have to pay royalties if we ended up deciding to sell it, or be broke for the rest of lives because we spent too much time trying to make an actual game, instead of a mod, which is something we're better experienced with.

2. We'd have to make all our stuff from scratch. I have enough modeling skills to basic architecture, but things like armor and weapons? Not really. Which would also mean we'd have to get other people to do it for us. Which means expanding the team to include those people, which ends up turning into a whole bunch of differentiating opinions on whether we should sell the game, general direction of the game, etc. Having Skyrim's resources at our finger tips allows to stick to the status quo of making a mod.

Essentially, it just all comes down to money. Making an actual game costs actual money. We don't want that.

We're not making a product, we're making a story.

Oooh. Okay. What I don't understand is why not make a separate game? :P You guys sound like you could handle it.

Not necessarily. That ends up packing up a far lot more than just having as a mod. Just to put in perspective;

As a mod, we can control our own degree of pace, and we're already working in familiar territory as we're both Fallout modding vets, so that already makes things far easier right off the bat.

As a game, we'd have to do the following;

1. Get an engine. Creation Engine is not an option, as Bethesda doesn't license it. This would require us to either use a third-party engine, or build our own. Neither me nor Eli have any idea how to build an engine, so that's already out. Using a third-party engine would mean having to re-learn essentially everything all over again, as we're using something completely different than what we used before. That would be fine, if we we're getting paid. But we're not getting paid to make this a game, we're modding it on our own free time. For free. And using Skyrim for free is just another plus, as using a third party engine and making it it's own game means we'd have to either have to pay royalties if we ended up deciding to sell it, or be broke for the rest of lives because we spent too much time trying to make an actual game, instead of a mod, which is something we're better experienced with.

2. We'd have to make all our stuff from scratch. I have enough modeling skills to basic architecture, but things like armor and weapons? Not really. Which would also mean we'd have to get other people to do it for us. Which means expanding the team to include those people, which ends up turning into a whole bunch of differentiating opinions on whether we should sell the game, general direction of the game, etc. Having Skyrim's resources at our finger tips allows to stick to the status quo of making a mod.

Essentially, it just all comes down to money. Making an actual game costs actual money. We don't want that.

We're not making a product, we're making a story.

Good points. I didn't even think about the engine problem. :psyduck:

Well, as it is, I wish you luck on the mod. I can't wait for it to come out :)

I wish I had an army of SM57's for my drumset. SM58 is plenty suffiient, they're pretty top of the line when it comes to live audio, and are just as good for voice recording, just gotta have a good audio interface and a good room with minimum noise, and you should be good to go. That's really the main thing about recording though, is controlling noise volume within a room. You get in a bad room, and it can make the best mics sound bad. But yeah, I'll send you a PM when we have actually parts written out and stuff. It won't be for a good while though as we're just starting development, but we have many different characters, and I'm sure we can find a place for you to fit in.

And I wish I had a few for guitar recording! Yeah, where I'm recording is pretty damn silent. Loudest thing in here is my computer (or the river outside if my window's open), and that's pretty damn quiet. I can always record as far away from the computer as possible if it's a problem too. OK, brilliant. Quite looking forward to taking part of something that's going to be as awesome as this. :)