Shimmering foilage / vegetation when moving

machuidel

I've got the HD6950 2GB and my Skyrim runs at 1080p (native resolution of my monitor).

I cannot get rid of shimmering foliage when moving. The farther away the more shimmering. It is very distracting and makes it impossible for me to play Skyrim.

I've tried the following without success:

- Turning on the in-game FXAA. Shimmering gets worse

- Using 4x Super-Sampling AA. Less shimmering but my FPS drops to 25. GPU memory usage constant 100%.

- Using 2x Super-Sampling AA. Same shimmering.

- Using 4x Multi-Sampling AA. Still shimmering.

- Using 8x Multi-Sampling AA. FPS drops to 1.

- Increasing / decreasing the sharpening of my monitor.

- Setting Anisotropic Filtering to 16x and to High Quality.

- Setting Mip Mapping to High Quality

- Using the FXAA injector 2.0. Turning on FXAA. Shimmering gets worse

- Using the MSAA injector 1.3. Shimmering gets worse.

- Using AMD Catalyst 11.10, 11.12, 11.11c, 12.1preview

- Re-installing Skyrim. No mods. Also vurt's mod is not solving this.

I've been fixing and tuning Skyrim for almost 2 months now and this is the last real problem I am having.

Anyone that knows how to reduce the shimmering?

Edited by machuidel

I got the same problem but i get flashing shadows and armor too. when it happens the only fix i can find is to reinstall the entire game. I have also bin getting freezes while playing dvd's or watching netflix. tec support says my card might be dying. So luckily my warrinty from ibuypower is not up so ill just get it replaced if it gets any worse or the next driver update dont fix it.

also make sure your morphological filtering is turned off.

what cpu, ram, power source do u got?

Edited by cptnkill

You can download it free from CNET - http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-75219868.html#rateit - just follow the instructions. It's usually a good idea to download a fresh copy of whichever driver you want to use from the AMD site to use as well.

I use Nvidia cards myself thus I'm not as conversant with ATI/AMD so if anyone else here can offer some more specific advice for AMD and Driver Sweeper please post it here.

Try enforcing transparency AA, if you haven't already. That just sounds like a low resolution to me, but you said you run at 1080, so idk...

When I enable transparency AA (using SSAA) my FPS drops significantly, even outside cities. 4x SSAA almost gets rid of the shimmering but my GPU memory will be on max and load on 100%. In cities my FPS will drop to around 20 and outside around 30. Using 2x SSAA does not get rid of the shimmering.

My monitor is 1080p and my resolution is set to:

iSize H=1080

iSize W=1920

I can literally see pixels disappearing and appearing when moving, even on textures (especially specularity). When I use FXAA the problem gets worse. That which is usually solved by using SSAA for the edges and AF / MIP mapping etc. for textures.

It could be that my 81 PPI monitor it to blame. But 4x SSAA in Skyrim, which solves my problem, is too much for my HD6950 2gb too handle. Friends having cheaper and lower memory NVIDIA cards than my AMD/ATI card can do it just fine even when using all HD texture mods :|

Edited by machuidel

I have the same problem. Heres what I think it is.

Outside shadows are pretty blocky and the game updates those blocky shadows in little chunks, unlike..... Crysis where if the sun is moving so are the shadows in perfect sync.

So in Crysis when time goes by it's super smooth but in Skyrim when the game updates the shadow positions they "shimmer" since they are low res.

In my opinion I'd have to say that your gpu and your game are both normal, some people don't notice it, some do and some might not even have the problem or aren't bothered by it.

I just googled it and there was another Nexus post with a similar issue and maybe a solution, not sure haven't read it all, so check this link out.

Try that out if you would like, hope that helps. I'm off to try it out too! =]