Skyrim, Steam, and the mod shop

SturmFalkeRDA

94 members have voted

1. 1. What are your views on skyrim being on steam?

• I like steam and the current system is fine.
    • I like steam, but would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose.
    • I have had bad experiences with steam and would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose.

you will be missing data managment, achivements, friends, ingame chat ui and lots more if you do so

Ever thought that this might be an age thing?

I don't meet my friends in chats, let alone ingame chats, I don't give a rats about achievements to brag about and don't care about data management.

Really, to each their own. But don't assume, your style might be universal.

some people like to play games like Elder Scrolls to get away from their friends ;D

not a fan of Steam

- i want to spend my money on something tangible - if all i'm getting is a digital download then there are other ways of obtaining the games

- whenever an alert pops up that i've reached some kind of mundane achievement it ruins the atmosphere of the game if it's an RPG

- i like to play games when i'm waiting in the airport that doesn't have free wi-fi

YMMV

I voted for the 3rd option

I don't really have a major problem with steam, but have had a few bad experiences, most came from when there were steam(not game) updates that ended up messing with options I had set(mostly allowing games to update automatically which, I abhor). Steam is not very helpful(at least in my experience) when having a problem running a game that my pc should have no problem running, they usually pass the buck to the developers.

I have no problem buying a game through steam and with games you can't ALT-TAB out of while running, such as Fallout NV, it was actually handy because I could use the steam browser while playing.

I think steam has it's advantages and disadvantages but I would like to see it made so that if I do purchase a game through them I don't have to play it through them.

I voted option 3 because of my bad experience with Civ 5, but also because Steam takes up resources for a process that I do not want and has no use for me. I don't care about the community aspect, and while the discounts are sometimes good, I prefer not to be tied to a third party launcher to play my games. Steam is one of the most intrusive forms of DRM I have ever seen. It ranks alongside Starforce and SecuROM as a disincentive to buy the game. Both of these impose a piece of third party software that the end user is forced to allow in order to play the game they have legitimately purchased.The auto-update fiasco with Skyrim is also a contributing factor in my vote.

Also, about the steam work shop, TF2 Did it, and as far as mods go, its up to you to choose weather or not to host the mod on steam, its not required, if you do however and people vote it up enough to be a dlc or dlc bought mod, if I am not mistaken the creator gets a free copy of the mod for download as well as 5 other free copys for friends..

**EDIT**

:laugh: READ THIS:laugh:

For anyone voting for "I have had bad experiences with steam and would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose."

would you please provide a reason below instead of yelling at steam and running off??

thanks!!

If you read the agreement here you can clearly see that Valve decides wether or not the mod is free, in their sole discretion, so there is no "vote it up to be a dlc" there is just they deciding to charge for the mod without asking for the author's permission and taking 75 % of what that dlc (no longer a mod) would make, ripping the community in a very low manner.

If you read closer you'll find out that only applies to Valve games and was originally written for Team Fortress 2 hats and has never been updated..

Steam is fine, play offline if it bothers you so much. Yes, you have that option.

Make a text document and write ForceOfflineMode=Enable and then save as steam.cfg (not steam.cfg.txt) in Steam map.

Then it will enter offline mode everytime you start steam, without the need to start steam online and then enter offline from there.

Or, disable your ethernet/wireless adapter, start Steam and it'll be in offline mode.

Tada, no more auto updates and no achievements and everything else people love to complain about.

Edit: Also, you can play games on Steam without an internet connection. When I didn't have internet for a few weeks I played hundreds of hours of Oblivion and Fallout 3 without Steam ever having to be online.

Edited by a7x5631

you will be missing data managment, achivements, friends, ingame chat ui and lots more if you do so

Ever thought that this might be an age thing?

I don't meet my friends in chats, let alone ingame chats, I don't give a rats about achievements to brag about and don't care about data management.

Really, to each their own. But don't assume, your style might be universal.

This. I Skype with very good friends and colleagues that I don't have the opportunity for face to face with. I do not want in game chat in a single player RPG.

Steam is yet another running process. Everyone knows that games run better with as few as possible extraneous running processes. There would have been little shouting had Beth stuck to what they said about only needing Steam to activate, but then along comes the ninja patch adding the Steam wrapper and lo, we need Steam to run the game. We shouldn't have to go to the lengths of pulling out the ethernet cable, that's SILLY.

Ah yes, we were ninja'd with this Steam patch without warning. Puts one's back up to start with. And then we discover that we can't have the CS just yet to fix up the bugs that Bethesda does not seem to give a rat's behind about fixing. And why can't we have it? Because of the ruddy STEAM integration that Beth wants to add. Steam Workshop that a great number of people think stinks. We've got Nexus and TESAlliance thankyou, we don't need or want Steam Workshop.

Steam Workshop is a menace because it will encourage mod use without folks attempting to understand how mods work and how they can potentially fubar your game. It is a menace because it is a greedy grab by large companies of content that talented people make for the love and fun of it.

I instinctively kick against any attempt to shove down my throat what is unnecessary, and Steam and its' darned Workshop surely are.

Also, about the steam work shop, TF2 Did it, and as far as mods go, its up to you to choose weather or not to host the mod on steam, its not required, if you do however and people vote it up enough to be a dlc or dlc bought mod, if I am not mistaken the creator gets a free copy of the mod for download as well as 5 other free copys for friends..

**EDIT**

:laugh: READ THIS:laugh:

For anyone voting for "I have had bad experiences with steam and would like the option to play my games without steam if I so choose."

would you please provide a reason below instead of yelling at steam and running off??

thanks!!

If you read the agreement here you can clearly see that Valve decides wether or not the mod is free, in their sole discretion, so there is no "vote it up to be a dlc" there is just they deciding to charge for the mod without asking for the author's permission and taking 75 % of what that dlc (no longer a mod) would make, ripping the community in a very low manner.

If you read closer you'll find out that only applies to Valve games and was originally written for Team Fortress 2 hats and has never been updated..

Steam is fine, play offline if it bothers you so much. Yes, you have that option.

Make a text document and write ForceOfflineMode=Enable and then save as steam.cfg (not steam.cfg.txt) in Steam map.

Then it will enter offline mode everytime you start steam, without the need to start steam online and then enter offline from there.

Or, disable your ethernet/wireless adapter, start Steam and it'll be in offline mode.

Tada, no more auto updates and no achievements and everything else people love to complain about.

Edit: Also, you can play games on Steam without an internet connection. When I didn't have internet for a few weeks I played hundreds of hours of Oblivion and Fallout 3 without Steam ever having to be online.

the agreement seems to be for the steam workshop as a whole which affects skyrim too.

I picked the third option.

As I see it, it's not about whether or not one likes Steam, since that will, indeed, vary from person to person. The problem is that even if you don't like Steam you still have to use it to play Skyrim. I would like the option to opt out of it all together.

Yes, I have had bad experiences with Steam. I've been locked out of all my Steam games several times because of errors with Steam updates or problems with Steam servers, but even if that weren't the case, I would still choose option three on principle. Saying you like or dislike Steam is pointless if you can't opt out of it; it's like asking if you'd rather get shot in the head or the heart: the true choice isn't a superficial decision between how you die, but between dying and not dying to begin with.

They deny us the option of not dying, so to speak, and only give us the superficial choice of whether you want head or heart (i.e, you can complain about not liking Steam, but whether or not you must use it has already been decided by Beth).

I hope I've made my views clear on the matter. 8)

EDIT: I like how you ninja'd a presupposed like of Steam into the poll, OP. There are two options for "I like Steam" and the only dissenting option is "I've had bad experiences" LOL.

Edited by Dukkah

I picked the third option.

As I see it, it's not about whether or not one likes Steam, since that will, indeed, vary from person to person. The problem is that even if you don't like Steam you still have to use it to play Skyrim. I would like the option to opt out of it all together.

Yes, I have had bad experiences with Steam. I've been locked out of all my Steam games several times because of errors with Steam updates or problems with Steam servers, but even if that weren't the case, I would still choose option three on principle. Saying you like or dislike Steam is pointless if you can't opt out of it; it's like asking if you'd rather get shot in the head or the heart: the true choice isn't a superficial decision between how you die, but between dying and not dying to begin with.

They deny us the option of not dying, so to speak, and only give us the superficial choice of whether you want head or heart (i.e, you can complain about not liking Steam, but whether or not you must use it has already been decided by Beth).

I hope I've made my views clear on the matter. 8)

EDIT: I like how you ninja'd a presupposed like of Steam into the poll, OP. There are two options for "I like Steam" and the only dissenting option is "I've had bad experiences" LOL.

Honestly, I was derpy when I made the poll, I was basicly asking if you didnt really like steam and wanted it to run without steam, if you liked steam and didnt care about it, or if you liked steam but wanted to be able to run it without steam for certain things..

I dont like the idea though that if, steam decides, oh hey he did something wrong lets lock him out of his 500 doller worth of games and say you agreed to use our program you cant do anything about it..

now that.. is strange....