Game Crashes when Equipping (due to mods)

moosemoose

The problem: Skyrim will crash if -

1. I try to equip an object (Weapon, armor or potion).

2. I try to equip a spell.

3. I try to remove an item from my inventory.

4. I trying to exit my inventory.

Currently installed mod list:

2K Real Ice V2 (Parallax)

Quality World Map - All Roads

AOF Believable Hair 1.3

Better Sorting 2.01

Enhanced Night Skyrim 0.4

Improved NPC Clothing 1.8.1

Insane0h's Realistic Sun v2

Enhanced Blood Textures

Realistic Smoke and Embers 1.3

RWT (Realistic Water Textures) 1.9.5

SKSE (Skyrim Script Extender)1.04

Skyrim HD 2K Textures 1.3

Sky UI 2.0

TESVAL 0.3

Triss Armor

Vurts Skyim Flora Overhaul 1.07

As far as I can tell this problem is due to the mods, seeing as I can't find this problem (or solution) anywhere, and the game worked fine without the any mods. Every one of the mods (that I have encountered in the game) has worked so far, eg. no purple textures, floating people etc. I have already tried using BOSS to see if there was a conflict, but it reported none. Any help would be much appreciated.

Try playing by disabling the Triss armor mod, if there is no problem it then comes from this.

Most of the time if you crash by equiping, using something, its because there is something wrong with that peculier item, or it mess up something in hte fact that you can equipe things.

Its not the water or smoke texture thats pretty obvious, regarding that it as nothing to do with equiping.

I just tried that and unfortunately it did not work. I was assuming that if there was a problem with the Triss Armor mod that it would only occur when I tried to use that specific armor. Actually I thought it might be related to skyUI or Better Sorting since those are the two mods that are related to the inventory but it seems a fair amount of people use those two together without a problem so that can't be it. Also, under the description of the Better Sorting mod, it says that it is compatible with skyUI.

Try disabling all of your mods (short of texture replacers) and see if that fixes the issue. If so, it's definitely a mod or combination of mods. Then add them back in one at a time (starting with the ones you suspect the most) until you can pinpoint the culprit(s).

I managed to figure part of it out a least. When I disabled Better Sorting, my inventory worked again - odd culprit. The weird thing I can't imagine what it would be conflicting with since it is (supposedly) compatible with SkyUI. Since disabling the Triss mod didn't change anything, I don't think it is compatible with that, but the only other mods that I have (aside from texures and FXAA) are Enhanced Blood and Realist, neither of which make sense. Whatevs, I guess I will just have to live with no sorting. Thanks all.

Are you sure SKSE is running? You are launching the game through skse_loader.exe right? It's not too farfetched to imagine that SkyUI and Better Sorting work fine so long as SKSE is running but turn out to be incompatible otherwise.

Edit: Unrelated but, have you tried out SkyBoost? Most people see a noticeable increase in performance with SkyBoost instead of TESVAL. It's built on top of TESVAL, but uses a different non-SKSE injection method.

Edited by MShoap13

A handful of people have run into issues with Radeon Pro profiles messing with SKSE even though the game appears to launch fine through the skse_loader. If your filter box for SkyUI functions properly, SKSE is working. Alternatively, typing "GetSKSEVersion" in the console will report what version of SKSE you're currently using but only if it's running.

Also, if you tracked your FPS and saw a noticeable boost from TESVAL chances are SKSE is working.

It definitely wont be anything to do with issues from a Radeon since my card is an Nvidia GTX 460, although for anyone else reading this thread, I heard of some problems with the Nvidia control panel trying to force graphics options on skyrim and causing issues (the fix is to set all options in the control panel to application controlled). Also the filtering is working fine so SKSE must be running then.