Guns in Skyrim

Tsig

I got to thinking about this after browsing through the Skyrim Nexus mods and saw a mod where the person had apparently made models for some Dwemer Guns. At first, I thought "That'll never work, there's no way to put bullets in the game". I continued to think like this until I saw one of the comments saying something along the lines of "Why not make them a replacer for Staves? Shoot Spells instead of Bullets." It got me thinking about an old anime I used to watch called Outlaw Star. In the anime, the main character had a weapon called a Caster Gun which used special bullets that were enchanted to launch spells when it was fired. The Ammo was rather rare since very few knew how to make it.

It would probably be a good replacer for the Staves to start with, just to get the models and textures right. Ultimately it would make a great Epic Quest of some kind to delve into ancient Dwemer ruins in search of Ammo or possible Upgrade parts. Or, you could make it an epic quest to put the gun together after you found a piece of one.

Since you can only put one shell in at a time, make it take a similar amount of time to load the shell as it takes to draw an arrow on a bow. Then, after that, make it work like a staff that uses a Charged spell. You'll probably want the weapon to do some decent damage since it's going to take a little while between shots, but it doesn't have to be insta-gib worthy. After the CK comes out, you might even add unique effects to the ammo. I'm still not sure if the ammo should be Craftable, but with some pretty hefty requirements or just make it something that is only found in Dwemer Ruins or on shopkeepers on very rare occasions.

This is what it should look similar too, but probably with more Dwemer influence.

The Gun and Shells: http://otakuconfessions.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/caster.jpg (Notice that the back of the gun has been pulled back, that's where the shells are inserted)

The Shells alone: http://www.theconcentrium.com/mike/Comm/Caster/28shells.jpg (each different type of shell has a different effect)

Shell loaded inside the gun before it's closed up: http://www.theconcentrium.com/mike/Comm/Caster/34final.jpg

Possible design of the gun: http://spd.fotolog.com/photo/45/36/13/frbo/1201599430_f.jpg

Possible Double Barrel version: http://allmods.brinkster.net/th/1/38/38551.jpg

If somebody does ever take on this project, you will have my undying, nerdy gratitude.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking through the mods tonight and have seen at least 5 queries about guns. I will admit, I came onto this topic with the intention of posting something along the lines of, "If you looked at the other topics you'd notice you're idea is kind of washed up and has already been discussed 100 times over..." But before I did, I decided to read your OP. Man am I glad I did. The design of that gun (with a little re-texturing to look a little more hollow and Dwemer like) would really look sick and be lore friendly. Also I've noticed as there have been an increasing number of gun discussions the idea of instead of bullets firing spells has been being tossed around more and more. This is in my opinion the only acceptable way to incorporate guns into Tamriel. Great idea, 100% support!

Well, since Bethesda has already given us one handed Staves that fire charged spells, where you hold down the right/left trigger to charge and then release to cast, then it seemed like a plausible idea that you could simply change the model to make it any kind of weapon that you wanted. Granted, since it can only cast spells and not use melee attacks, a ranged weapon would be better.

With all the Dwemer ruins in Skyrim and the fact that the Dwemer were known to blend Magic with Technology...it only seemed right that they would manage to make an item that allowed a Non-Mage to use even a limited amount of magic.

Once the creation kit comes out, I'd love to see maybe the idea that you have to go on an epic quest just to put the gun together since you'd find only pieces of the gun in random Dwemer ruins. Possibly collect the ammo while you're delving into the Dwemer ruins and maybe find a small handful in a vendors inventory on rare occasions.

If we really wanted to make it like the Outlaw Star gun, then there would be different types of Shells with different spells in each type. The gun itself is generally considered and extremely RARE antique and the ammo is difficult to come by. Make it take just as long to load as it normally does to bring up a bow, knock an arrow, and draw it back. Then, after all that, have it act like a staff in regards to charging the spell before firing. Each shot would have to do a good amount of damage, maybe 2-3x the normal damage of a staff/spell of the appropriate level, to make it worth it to use the gun over an equivalent spell/staff.

More of the quest can be fleshed out after somebody actually makes a working mod that get the gun into the game.

Hi

I could model it and all that stuff, but i'm still waiting for the CK to check out if it will be possible to add your own animations - i guess it will, but the question is: Can handle it? Therefor my musket i posted in the other thread is on ice as well. Well in the worst case i can forward it to someone to animate it but i'm pretty sure i can handle that - if i find the time.

Is there an animation of the reloading process available?

On pic1 it looks "open", so put the bullet in and then press a button so the piston moves in, the round part rotates and the "lower metal thing" follows up?

Or is it: Put bullet it, move the "lower metal thing" up, that movement rotates the round part and moves in the piston?

Sry, i'm not aware of the fitting terms, english is not my native language :D

Today is the last day i got a bit free time so it would help if you would post a few more high resolution images for the texturing process (google image search uses a filter for a minimum size...so you can limit the search to 2MP+ pictures), possible sounds and anything else...the biggest help would be a high resolution side view with good textures, i'll try to check it out later.

greetings

Edited by ghosu

Found a couple good videos, 1 with the texture and model and 1 with just the model...both show how the gun is loaded, the first shows approximately what it looks like while firing, but that's open to any changes the mod maker feels like

Model and Texture:

just the Model:

And here's some good hi-res pics of the model: http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs42/f/2009/145/e/c/Outlaw_Star__s_Caster_Gun_by_Syklon.jpg

I really hope this helps you :)

Edited by Tsig

I thought also about guns in skyrim and also came to the conclusion that they would fit pretty good.

my thought was not a dwemergun, but the legendary revolvers from roland the gunslinger from stephen kings "dark tower". the world from the dark tower books is'nt that different from the skyrim world when it comes to monsters, bandits, the Dwemer and magic.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roland_Deschain

Roland's revolvers (sometimes referred to as "the big guns" by other characters) are described as long and heavy, with blued steel (originally from his world's Excalibur) and sandalwood grips. These guns are a major sigil, as they are recognized throughout Mid-World and are used as an identifier of Roland. During the search for more ammunition in New York City in The Drawing of the Three, the guns are revealed to be chambered close enough to .45 or the .45 Long Colt to use manufactured ammo. In The Gunslinger Roland can reload both revolvers at the same time with blinding speed using a "finger trick." He lost this ability when he lost two of his fingers at the start of The Drawing of the Three. Even after being crippled he possesses almost superhuman accuracy and he can draw his guns faster than any other character. Roland is noted as being able to shoot equally well with both hands.

Edited by raw235

This is what i've got so far, the rough shape:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIKJ8_HHk94&feature=youtu.be

But even this simple model already has got too many polygons...i guess this time i've got to study how to create a good normal map from a detailed high polygon model to transfer to a low polygon model...so the next update will take a while :biggrin:

Edited by ghosu