Cast Spells without de-equipping weapon and shield

xleileix

Well Amen to THAT, Solis. :) Although it's true that I personally want to go on record and say... despite its flaws... I friggin' LOVE this game! :)

I can't even IMAGINE what it must be like to work on a video game at all... let alone an "open-world" one. For all my complaints (and holy cow, you can SEE my list of FORTY-ONE ideas--thus far in my own thread, just search "greytale")... I still think Skyrim knocked it out of the park on so many levels.

And definitely agreed... boy, I REALLY miss the Morrowind system of things. Not to mention... ... ... GREAVES?!?!? TWO RINGS?!?!??! CAPE/CLOTHES underneath?!?!? Me miss all dat!!! wwaaaaaaah!!! lol

Blah blah blah . . .

Look, discussing realism in a game which permits magic casting, fire shouting, dragons, and giant walking cats from "Elsewhere" is kinda, well, utterly missing the point.

The point is that navigating the menus in Skyrim every three seconds to change between sword and spells is a pain, and anything which makes combat more natural and flexible than the clumsy train-wreck we have now is a gigantic blessing.

Hell, I'd personally take Morrowind's combat over Oblivion's (and Oblivion's over Skyrim's) -- but that's just because it's fun to cast "levitate" on a foe, lead them 2,000 feet high, and then dispel the effect. I'm only hanging around the modding forums now hoping someone can salvage this mess, but I really don't have much hope until the injector crowd gets their claws into the game's innards.

I don't think that we're all missing the point. Far from it, I think it's more that we are discussing realism as what we think realism should/could be if all this were real, but if we start trying to figure out what real is, then we'll be way off point lol

Edited by bayjell654

• 4 months later...

Skyrim's magic system is infinitely better than Oblivion's minus the lack of damage scaling for destruction and illusion being OP early game. In regards to casting spells you shouldn't be able to wear full armor and wield both a shield and a big sword and still cast spells, that is just silly. Oblivion was borked in that the absolute best class for any situation whether it was stealth, magic or melee/archery was the heavily armored mage. Skyrim did away with that for the most part with the perks system and I am glad for that and I am glad they took lots of combat and magic ideas from Bioshock and Dark Messiah.

That being said there is a mod called GR Hotkeys on nexus which allows for spell casting from a hotkey. I don't know if it switches your weapon out and then casts or just casts straight away. The only reason I am no longer using a hotkey mod is because I am waiting for an SKSE version. :) Script Dragon takes to long to be updated. That is not a knock on the author who does great work it is just that he is only one guy versus the team behind SKSE who have their program updated literally within hours of a patch release.

I'm a day late and a septim short on these issues, but I agree with the OP on the UI during combat; its worse than the two previous games.

I wonder if the OP, or anyone else, has found any solutions? I find that the most difficult melee opponent is the UI, not the bad guys.

Given the default Skyrim UI as a starting point, how would a "concurrent equip" work? That is, how would you select the four possible items (spells, weapons/shield) on the two hands? I guess one way would be to use the existing UI and have "ready" spells NOT replace already equipped weapons/shields. Then, there's the question of using one or the other. What would be the preferred way to USE either the spell or the weapon/shield once they were equipped? It SEEMS like a "magic/melee" toggle key could be used with M1/M2 to select magic or melee attacks. Or, I guess a couple dedicated hot keys could be used to fire "ready" spells from the left or right hands.

I'm better at complaining than coming up with solutions. How would your ideal magic/melee "concurrently equipped" combat system work in a fight? I ask because I'm learning the CK right now and this is an issue I'd like to play with.

A bit late to the discussion, but people should really stop with the realism thing. If anything realism should not allow you to have your spells at the ready before throwing them,because you would get burned.

And there is no realism issues as far as I see with casting while holding a weapon. Spells are magic coming from your body, not items to be held in your hand. I am surprissed nobody made a mod for this yet.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

I feel like one of the main reasons they made spells bindable to a hand is because the Shouts needed a button and the only available button on a controller was the magic button.

I want to play a spellsword but the clunkyness of the magic mechanics makes it feel as if you are playing to styles of combat that were not meant to be. I also want to cast a spell and not have to take out my weapon to do so (although this is mainly an rp thing.) I consider this a straight up downgrade.

• 1 year later...