Skyrim crashes on completing Potema quest

museix

I have now defeated Potema's minions several times. The Game crashes during the visual effects as the quest is completed. Now i have a save just before the crash.. so I can repeat the experiment, and it always crashes. Anyone have any idea how to solve this? or why it may be crashing? Any helpful words would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had the exact same problem. As soon as I defeated Potema, and the swirling lights disappeared, the game crashed to desktop. I tried several different things to fix this, but nothing worked. I repeated the quest 3 times...same problem. The only thing that worked for me was to do the console command "player.moveto" command as soon as the quest showed completed. It took me somewhere else, then I just retraced my steps through the quest again...all enemies being dead. As soon as I got to the final room, the swirly lights were stuck in a weird "frozen in time" way. I was able to get the skull and complete the quest at least. I never figured out what caused it, but at least it got me through.

I had the exact same problem. As soon as I defeated Potema, and the swirling lights disappeared, the game crashed to desktop. I tried several different things to fix this, but nothing worked. I repeated the quest 3 times...same problem. The only thing that worked for me was to do the console command "player.moveto" command as soon as the quest showed completed. It took me somewhere else, then I just retraced my steps through the quest again...all enemies being dead. As soon as I got to the final room, the swirly lights were stuck in a weird "frozen in time" way. I was able to get the skull and complete the quest at least. I never figured out what caused it, but at least it got me through.

if you have replaced the Yarlscloths02 (or whatever yarls cloths that Potema wears), the game crashes when she transforms to a dead body.

if you have replaced the Yarlscloths02 (or whatever yarls cloths that Potema wears), the game crashes when she transforms to a dead body.

Yes.. this is best answer. As Potema "materializes" she needs yarlclothes03. Any texture mod here will crash game. Remove this folder and it doesnt crash. If you MUST have your custom texture you can drop it back in its folder after you have her skull safely in hand. :) This fixed mine! Thank You. Hope this helps others as well.

Edited by museix

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes.. this is best answer. As Potema "materializes" she needs yarlclothes03. Any texture mod here will crash game. Remove this folder and it doesnt crash. If you MUST have your custom texture you can drop it back in its folder after you have her skull safely in hand. :) This fixed mine! Thank You. Hope this helps others as well.

This fixed mine as well. Thanks for providing a solution!

• 2 months later...

This fixed mine as well. Thanks for providing a solution!

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, how are you doing? My Potema's Quest has a little bug before the fight with Wolf Queen: after she talks with me and the iron bars doesn't open! !

What Can I Do???

I tried to remove the letter from falk firebeard, but it's impossible to remove it ! Please, i need an answer !

Thanks !

• 1 month later...

@jakones

you can console command TLC to pass through the bar's maybe? .. first do a check to see if the quest is active properly with player.sqs MS06

Going to data/meshes/clothes/ and copying the yarlclothes02 & 03 directories to my desktop before the fight worked for me, thanks for that info guys (then putting them back afterwards)

• 5 months later...

Just want to say thanks to whoever posted that bug fix for Potema crashing after you gefeat her. There's so many a-hole-ish non-answers out there, it's nice when I look somethinfg up and it's as easy as 'temporarily delete yarlclothes03 folder', and I can keep playing. Of course, in an ideal perfect virtual universe, even Potema's ghost would be able to wear the sluttier-looking Jarl's clothes, technology is moving fast, tho, and I have confidence that in a few years, ES6 or ES7 will arrive, w/ all the lands from all the previous games, and mods that will allow every character in every land, from the high king/queen to the lowliest ghost or zombie(draugr) of every nameless hobo to undergo a slutty makeover / full facial sexchange, (okay, maybe skip the slutty draugrs part, I just want to be inclusive).