[WIP] Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear

JanusForbeare

“What do you think, fetcher? You think the baby-eaters would ever allow a son of Dres return to his people?

No, my name is known to those in power. Should I cross that border today, I forfeit my life.

When I return, it will be at the head of a merciless host that will cleanse Morrowind with fire and sword!

Until that day comes, I will continue to be a native exile.”

-Atvir Dres

4E 201

"Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear" is a fully-voiced, multi-pathed companion modification for Bethesda's Skyrim. Inspired by the immense success and popularity of legendary "Companion Vilja" modification for Oblivion, I set out on the ambitious task of creating an equally immersive experience in the game's sequel. Along the way, I've put together a talented development team to assist me in making this dream a reality.

"Atvir Dres: The Last Prince of Tear" is the tale of the last known son of House Dres, one of the five Great Houses that once ruled Morrowind. Though their homeland has long been in the scaly hands of the Argonians, the once-feared Dunmer houses have not forgotten their heritage. Atvir was raised on stories of Dunmer martyrdom and Argonian butchery, and has preserved the conservative traditions of his house. This includes the veneration of the Daedra (particularly Boethiah, in Atvir's case), a deep cultural bias against most other races, and a tendency to operate through deceit and trickery. A life of poverty and exile has embittered him, as it has many Dunmer, and he has taken to resorting to less-than-legal means to ensure his survival on the streets of Windhelm.

This modification greatly expands upon Skyrim's "vanilla" companionship system in a number of significant ways. Amongst the features planned for the final release are:

-A "rival" mode that can be activated if Atvir's disposition drops low enough. This event, which can be triggered through dialogue or in-game interactions at any time, creates an entirely new subplot, wherein Atvir turns on you and disappears, only to begin persistently working to thwart you in dozens of randomized, scripted events. Though the exact methods used in Atvir's revenge will vary with each playthrough, you will be guaranteed two opportunities to win back your former comrade - or, he can be gutted like the treacherous dog he is.

-A greatly expanded "romance" subplot, with depth and emotional involvement that go well beyond simple game mechanics. The romance plotline will not stop at marriage or consummation, as in all too many games today, but will continue to produce randomly scripted events well into married life.

-Different dialogue options, quests, and subplots depending on the player's race and background. This is established during Atvir's introductory dialogue, and can have significant effects on the overall plot development. For instance, Atvir will never be comfortable travelling with an Argonian "baby-eater", but will go to great lengths to accommodate a long-lost cousin from House Dres.

-Thousands of lines of fully-voiced dialogue. Voiced and recorded on industry-standard equipment by a television professional, Atvir will breathe new life into your gameplay with his endless stream of observations, obscenities, and general banter.

-New "thieves' tools", including portable bear-traps, smoke bombs, and flash powder. Both Atvir and the player will be able to make use of some or all of these.

-Party dynamics/interactions with vanilla companions and other popular companion mods. It is my hope to have conversations, arguments, brawls, and one-night stands occur between party members, for those players who have modified their game to allow more than one companion.

-Radiant, location-based, and quest-based events and commentary. Travelling with Atvir will never be boring. Whether he's starting a brawl with the Argonian that just insulted you, or sneaking off to rob the Jarl blind during an official visit to Dragonsreach, you can be guaranteed a wide array of new events to enhance your Skyrim experience.

-And much, much more! This is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what's planned for AD. We're always looking for talented volunteers to join our development team (especially at this early stage), so be sure to check out the "News" section of the website below and this wonderful Skyrim Nexus for opportunities as they open up!

See you in the game, fetchers!

What our users have to say about AD:

Without question and beyond the shadow of a doubt the most immersive and amazing follower I have ever had. This character adds an unparreled level of hilarity and enjoyment to this game.

This is amazing. I love him.

I've been waiting for someone to come along and make a real companion.

You've done such a great job fleshing him out. I wonder if you realize that this is now, already, the most fully realized, voiced *male* companion mod in any of the elder scrolls/fallout games?

Edited by JanusForbeare

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I've collaborated on other mods in the past, though nothing was ever released to the public. Bethesda's CS software is nothing new to me; I've been using it since Morrowind. I have real-world experience in scriptwriting for television and theatre. Most importantly, I can manage a team of talented individuals who possess the skills I don't have. Honestly, I haven't announced any world-shattering features, so I don't see why you should be questioning my competence.

Fair enough, no offence taken. I realize that it's an ambitious plan. There is a production proposal written up that breaks down the project into smaller goals that can be implemented piece by piece. We are already well on our way to being ready for an alpha release, which will feature race-specific introductory dialogue, a wide array of companionship dialogue, standard companionship functionality, and unique weapons and clothing. Additional features and content will be released in updates as they are developed. Edited by JanusForbeare

Very exciting! I'll be looking forward to trying this :)

EDIT: In fact I think the background story is much more intruiging than what was provided with his Oblivion equivalent -- hope you pull this off!

Thanks for the support! Atvir is designed to be a nuanced character capable of becoming an archetypical villain or a close ally. That being said, "Companion Vilja" revolutionized companionship in TES games - all we're doing is following in her footsteps.

Stay tuned for news, screenshots, etc.

-New "thieves' tools", including portable bear-traps, smoke bombs, and flash powder. Both Atvir and the player will be able to make use of some or all of these.

How do you manage to do the smoke bombs and flash powder? Will it be some kind of AI-killing script? I'm interested into knowing how it would work because one of the ingredients in my quest mod needs to have a blinding ability (like, make a poison with it, hit someone, and they can't see you for a certain amount of time).

Sounds interesting though. How will we know he is from the Dres house? Dres headdress, shield, and weapon?

The blinding mechanism is already in vanilla, the idea for flash powder originally came from the "retinal dilation" effect when you suddenly look at/away from a light source. It will likely begin its existence as a simple spell that will create a bright flash and a brief paralyze or minor knockback effect (primarily for NPCs, who aren't subject to retinal dilation). However I hope to script the effects into a consumable weapon in the long term.

Smoke bombs will be a little trickier, as they'll require new particle effects, actor animations, etc. There are also a lot of variables to take into account when it comes to how they'll interact with combat AI. Honestly, I'm hoping that someone takes it upon themselves to create this great little thiefly item before I have to tackle it myself. Don't expect them during the alpha release; they'll be a late-stage addition to the project.

As for how you'll know he's from house Dres? Well, first and foremost, he won't let you forget it. Atvir has studied his family's history obsessively, and is proud of his heritage to a fault. His default clothing and weaponry (currently being designed by the Nexus' own hopventure) will incorporate elements which will be familiar to players of Morrowind, such as bonemold armour. I've been skulking through the internets trying to dig up a canon crest for House Dres, but have thus far come up empty-handed. If one exists, it will certainly be incorporated into Atvir's armour and/or weaponry.