Why the end of SI is such a disappointment

diosoth

I really liked the expansion as a whole as well, but I'm not going to bother reaching the end again. There's no point. The meager powers and virtually nonexistant recognition do more to hurt immersion than help the game.

Admittedly the expansion does leave the player wanting. There are so many ways that being the Madgod could be so much better. One idea I had had awhile back was to remake the Xedilian to a working and reusable torture area. This plus a couple of other things would make the ending so much more fitting for the player's ascension to Madgod.

• 6 months later...

I think the rewards could have been done better, mostly the Summon Saint/Seducer Spells. These are once a day powers that would have been better off as regular cast-anytime spells. Summon Flesh Atronach should have been a regular spell too. And they should be the most cost-effective spells in Conjuration.

If I recall, all the master level spells cost over 100 magicka even with a maxed conjuration skill. Although the master-level Summon Hunger spell costs 80+ magicka I think, so it makes the best spell to harvest Grand Souls from.

A Summon Gatekeeper Greater Power would have made a nice reward, and being a once-a-day thing would make sense as the gatekeeper can't be away from his post for long.

The Staff of Sheogorath should have looked more like his original walking stick. I know there's a mod that fixes that and adds a few extra powers, like a spell to rain cheese on people or turn them into cabbages, yarn, or sweetrolls.

I think what is truly disappointing though is there is no real clarification as to the Champion and Sheogorath's exact fate. When you ask Sheogorath how you can be a Daedric Prince he'll say "A fair question. You won't, really. At least I don't think so. But you'll have power. My power. Try not to lose it. It's a pain to replace. But, for all intents and purposes, you'll be Me."

So what, does the champion only sit on the throne until Sheogorath can reconstitute himself? Is the real Sheogorath gone for good and the Champion is just a pretender? Or does the Champion merge with Sheogorath and they become one entity with a shared consciousness and memories? I really hope it's the last one.

I mean it makes sense, sort of. If Sheogorath is the result of a curse placed on Jyggalag, then the Champion taking the curse onto himself will mean Sheogorath will be using the Champion's body as an anchor to give himself physical form. And then at the end of every era when the curse weakens, instead of changing into Jyggalag and trying to take over the Shivering Isles, Sheogorath turns into the Champion. Who will then probably just spend his time enjoying a bit of fresh air while he waits for Sheogorath to wake up.

That's my headcanon and I'm sticking to it.

After saving the Shivering Isles, I reorganized the place a bit, cleaned out a few threats, Used some of its resources to fight Dagon, and then put a eccentric Wood Elf companion of mine on the throne with the regalia and staff, and enough enchanted equipment to make sure she beat the crap out of any challegers, to let her do the apotheosis, while I got the hell out of there.