How do I get a Skyrim.ini?

FalloutModFun

When I try to launch OBMM to start up my mods and load new ones, it says that it couldn't find the game directory, and that the Skyrim.ini has been moved or replaced. Where is it, or how do I get it back?

I think it will depend on your operating system. Try using a search. It's not in the Steam directory where most of the other Skyrim files are located. (Program Files\Steam\Steam Apps\common\Skyrim)

I run Windos 7 and my Skyrim.ini file is in: C:\Users\My Name\My Documents\My Games\Skyrim. This directory also has a folder with all my save game files.

OBMM for Skyrim I assume?

The game will automatically create a Skyrim.ini in the \My Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ directory upon creating a character save.

It will be a text file named "Skyrim.ini" located at the directory I stated in my previous post.

The game will automatically create a Skyrim.ini upon creating a character save.

• 1 year later...

@FuneralofSmiles

No, they're essential configuration files for all BethSoft games. If you delete your Skyrim.ini folder, your game won't work until a new one is recovered/rebuilt by the steam cache file or the Skyrim Launcher.

@FalloutModFun

Firstly, you need to identify your Skyrim folder. It'll be in the Steam folder of your Program Files in whatever hard drive that you chose to install in. For instance, my Skyrim folder is located at Win7 (C:) > Program Files (x86) > Steam > Steamapps > Common > Skyrim. If it can't detect it, then you either need to find it manually or update your management utility, as the Oblivion manager might not know how to find Skyrim through Steam.

Secondly, your Skyrim folder is always dropped into a Documents folder, but it can depend on exactly where. For me, my Skyrim save folder is located in My Documents > My Games > Skyrim. In that folder, you'll find several text documents, along with a folder that holds your save files for your game. What you need is labled "Skyrim" and is titled a "configuration file." If you open it, it'll access through WordPad. If you are missing this file and/or Skyrimpref (another important file) then start your Skyrim Launcher and see if that tries to configure your game to your computer automatically. If it doesn't, verify your game cache from Steam. And if THAT doesn't work, then your game has saved the files somewhere else, but it's supposed to save it in that Documents > Skyrim folder.

This is all assuming you've installed using Steam, of course.

To clarify two things...

1) The Skyrim.ini file is generated when running SkyrimLauncher.exe - if the file is present then it'll read it, if not present it'll make the default one.

2) .ini files are "initiation" files that contain instructions / settings to initiate (!) instructions for variables. They're present in most games and have nothing to do with console settings.

• 9 months later...