I'VE DISCOVERED A SURE FIX FOR ALL WHITERUN CRASHES IN SKYRIM!

Sibastion

I was CTD "Crashing to Desktop" always in Whiterun, after days of searching the internet I found out that thousands of players were having the same problem, so I tried all the fixes, the 4gb patch and everything other fix out there and no luck. So I was going to give up and go back to playing "Age of Conan" and "Oblivion", so I wanted to try one more thing.> "Unpacking all the mesh files"< I used Oblivion mod manager to unpack mine but I don't think it will matter how you unpack them at least I don't think, and it worked!!! I no longer have crashes in Whiterun and can enter any door and fast travel and save with no crashes!!! well that's it I hope it will work for all those other Hundreds of thousands of Skyrim players having this issue. Let me know if it works.

P.S. If this works for a modder I would like someone to make a mod for me let me know if you will, thanks

If you want to make a mod for me you can contact me here Email me

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unpacking mesh files also fixes the problem with Esbern in the Ratway Vaults :D ! He wouldn't open the door,that's how I fixed it.Thanks by the way,you saved my life. ( or my save? ) Edited by Ohdude

Can u plz explain what ''unpacking'' means?

Unpacking your mesh files goes as follows- Open your Skyrim folder usually found under c:\ computer\program files\elder scrolls skyrim, then click on Data scroll down and you should see "Meshes" they are all packed you must unpack them, they are called BSA files you can download something called "Skyrim BSA unpacker, but i don't know if that will unpack all of them so you can use "Oblivion mod manager" to unpack all the mesh file that's the only way for this" fix" to work, but download BSA unpacker to anyway cuz it's very usefull , I'm sorry If I didn't explain well but im still new to all this modding computer stuff, but if you unpack all your mesh files you will not crash anymore, I don't know if they will fix it when the patch comes out or not, make sure you have enough space on your hard drive, it will probably take a couple of gigs.

Unpacking your mesh files goes as follows- Open your Skyrim folder usually found under c:\ computer\program files\elder scrolls skyrim, then click on Data scroll down and you should see "Meshes" they are all packed you must unpack them, they are called BSA files you can download something called "Skyrim BSA unpacker, but i don't know if that will unpack all of them so you can use "Oblivion mod manager" to unpack all the mesh file that's the only way for this" fix" to work, but download BSA unpacker to anyway cuz it's very usefull , I'm sorry If I didn't explain well but im still new to all this modding computer stuff, but if you unpack all your mesh files you will not crash anymore, I don't know if they will fix it when the patch comes out or not, make sure you have enough space on your hard drive, it will probably take a couple of gigs.

You should probably do a little research on the web just to make sure.

You should probably do a little research on the web just to make sure.

Ok i got it.Thank you

Honestly, that sounds bad idea. The issue with that blade guy talking is known and unpacking it's "voice" files a solution (I don't know if the new beta patch solved it but...). Unpacking the whole thing sounds unecessary and potentially risky. Whatever, the really important is don't delete or change the BSA itself in any way and the rest is OK.

Edit: I can't remember having CTDs issues in Whiterun ever once but then this might be the cause I never searched about it too... On the other side it is one the most demanding CPU wise places, mainly at Dragonreach entrance from where most AI from people at the streets is maximum, what can cause instability on some systems.

Since the cell content is loaded at entering the area I can't clearly relate or understand how unpacking the BSA solved that particular issue, but since reported it did, it did.

Edited by nosisab

Honestly, that sounds bad idea. The issue with that blade guy talking is known and unpacking it's "voice" files a solution (I don't know if the new beta patch solved it but...). Unpacking the whole thing sounds unecessary and potentially risky. Whatever, the really important is don't delete or change the BSA itself in any way and the rest is OK.

Edit: I can't remember having CTDs issues in Whiterun ever once but then this might be the cause I never searched about it too... On the other side it is one the most demanding CPU wise places, mainly at Dragonreach entrance from where most AI from people at the streets is maximum, what can cause instability on some systems.

Since the cell content is loaded at entering the area I can't clearly relate or understand how unpacking the BSA solved that particular issue, but since reported it did, it did.

It's better than crashing and it works, and some mods require you to unpack your meshes.

• 5 months later...

hi! it hasnt work for me :(

The crash still happens even if I try to extract all files from "Skyrim - meshes.bsa" (I installed them with Wrye bash to not mess my installation, so I can uninstall easly).

Also,

I tried disabling all mods (at plugins.txt), the game loaded fast and all content related to bsa files (NameOfEspOrEsm.esp = NameOfEspOrEsm.bsa, so bsa files are loaded) were skipped/ignored, but, if I LOAD whiterun external town area (if I fast travel TO whiterun inner gates it is ok), by leaving whiterun town or by fast traveling to one of its nearest farms around, I get the CTD (crash);

BUT if I fast travel to a bit farer farm and move towards whiterun, I have no CTD.

Any other tips?

EDIT: I read it can also be related to out of graphics memory card (I have 500mb on gfx card) and I disabled plugins but I didnt remove files installed at data folder, so my last guess is there is something overloading the memory what (when I have time) I will try later to disable without messing my installation

PS.: I make a synchronized backup of my entire game folder so later, if something bad happens, I have a good restore point :)

Edited by ghussak