I'VE DISCOVERED A SURE FIX FOR ALL WHITERUN CRASHES IN SKYRIM!

Sibastion

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i unpacked all my meshes, and put them back into the data folder (i was supposed to do that, wasnt i?) but i still freeze right outside the gates. : ( i was hoping that it would work! ive already deactivated any whiterun-specific mods.

its not a ctd, skyrim just stops responding every time. any ideas why?

do i need to remove the Skyrim-Meshes.bsa from the Data folder?

edit: i re-unpacked them, and moved them again into the data folder. i guess something went wrong the first time, because it only overwrote 30-something files, out of hundreds. so i started my game, and went into whiterun! yay!! thank you, sibastion! i made it all the way into the bannered mare (it was lagging a bit, but im ok with some lag as long as its playable). the city was deserted... odd. when i exited the bannered mare it froze on the loading screen.... ;__; but i will keep trying! i think i really need to just buy more ram... perhaps i should get a job instead of fussing over skyrim all day. ^ ^;

a note for people using BSA Unpacker: once you click extract all, WAIT for several minutes (5 should be enough, but 7 is safer) it does not tell you when extraction is complete. be sure to right click the folder and go to properties, and make sure the file size number isnt changing any more, just to be certain extraction is complete.

Edited by padmaus

• 1 month later...

i unpacked all my meshes, and put them back into the data folder (i was supposed to do that, wasnt i?) but i still freeze right outside the gates. : ( i was hoping that it would work! ive already deactivated any whiterun-specific mods.

its not a ctd, skyrim just stops responding every time. any ideas why?

do i need to remove the Skyrim-Meshes.bsa from the Data folder?

edit: i re-unpacked them, and moved them again into the data folder. i guess something went wrong the first time, because it only overwrote 30-something files, out of hundreds. so i started my game, and went into whiterun! yay!! thank you, sibastion! i made it all the way into the bannered mare (it was lagging a bit, but im ok with some lag as long as its playable). the city was deserted... odd. when i exited the bannered mare it froze on the loading screen.... ;__; but i will keep trying! i think i really need to just buy more ram... perhaps i should get a job instead of fussing over skyrim all day. ^ ^;

a note for people using BSA Unpacker: once you click extract all, WAIT for several minutes (5 should be enough, but 7 is safer) it does not tell you when extraction is complete. be sure to right click the folder and go to properties, and make sure the file size number isnt changing any more, just to be certain extraction is complete.

Thanks for the note. I can also confirm that this works also.

• 3 months later...

Okay Update and edit, found a bunch of files with weird permissions that it appears did not uninstall when i uninstalled / re-installed Skyrim. These COULD have been left over from a mod the first 2 times round. I had to MANUALLY take ownership of them and delete them (funnily enough guess what they were named.... WHITERUN.

I only discovered these after in desperation searching for files with a reference to "whiterun" in my Skyrim folder and hey there they were in the data directory.

Why they had an $unknown$ as an owner i do not know... took ownership (google it if you don't know how) Deleted them,

Reapplied my texture packs, hey presto Whiterun is NOW WORKING... WITH ALL MY MODS,

So for those having trouble with Whiterun not loading do an F3 search from windows explorer in your Skyrim directory and DELETE MANUALLY all references to Whiterun then reapply the HD towns texture pack if you are using it and it should work. At least it did for me. Hooray for perseverance.

Hope this helps someone.

GK

This actually helped me. I started having this problem for no apparent reason, and deleting the stray files helped. I didn't try unpacking all the meshes, but that would have been my next step. Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had the same problem (tons of mods installed btw.) with Skyrim Legendary Edition

Quest: Meet Irileth or whatever @ the Western Watchtower > 1st Dragon

Solution: Kill some Guards and get approach the Watchtower - wait for the fools to come at you including that guard-women you're suppoused to meet (lure them with arrows lol)

or whatever her name was and you can walk up to the tower at ease (well the soildiers will try to kill you, while trying to hit the dragon from time to time).

Tried yielding afterwards > didn't let me, went on foot to Whiterun > crashed; > loaded game > yielded on the spot @ Watchtower > everythings cool > you're Thane

going again to the WT or Whiterun is no Problem ...

Some say it might be caused by UNP Body Mod or similar ones ...

Edited by CrunchyFX

Yep as f*#@ing stupid as it is this fixed my whiterun crashing issue.

I'd just done a bunch of companions s#*! and then boom try to exit their little hut and CTD-a-thon '14. Could coc whiterun np, try to go back to whiterun from outside, CTD.

Unpacked meshes, and it works now.

Like people said above, give that BSA packer some time it's like 2.9gb and takes a bit to unpack it all.

• 2 weeks later...

IT WORKS!!!! I suddenly had a CTD problem only at the Whiterun Stables and only when fast traveling there (even though I had no problem with the first dragon quest and even though fast traveling at near it and walking to the stables also caused no ctd). Used Skyrim bsa unpacker opened it as admin, extracted everything to a folder on the desktop and waited a bit to be sure, then dropped it in the data folder and told it to skip (not overwrite anything) there and it worked. Fast travelled to stables with no crash. Thank you!

Update: It's back and now worse than ever. I now ctd anywhere outside Whiterun

Edited by dubhorizon

This is a really annoying bug.

I played normally all the way to defeating the dragon at the watch tower but when I try to go back into Whiterun I get immediate CTD. Fast travel has the same result and I even tried getting imprisoned and escaping from the guard room, but with the same immediate result. I can't imagine it being a mod related issue simply because I was in Whiterun just before! Why the sudden crashing?! I've tried doing the bsa unpacking of the meshes and the only difference it's made is a longer lasting loading screen, but it still crashes. I've turned off the autosave but the CTD happens before that anyways. I thought a mod was causing a conflict with the redguards looking for saadia since that's what I'm gonna see should I enter. But I've uninstalled any potential mod which would change their or anyone's appearance (immersive armors) - still there was no difference - CTD immediately.

I don't have a lot of tech savvy, so can anyone suggest by the symptoms what the problem may be? (Vram?) I honestly don't know and all the research I've done on this at best points to the unpacking solution except it doesn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm still at the beginning so if needs be I'll just start a new game, but it's a small consolation if this issue preents itself again and forever after.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody, i've about 120 plugs installed in my Skyrim, i have and use ALL toolz you can imagine! To make it works right and i did it! And i have the bestss of the best mods, overhals INCLUDE off-course, my MOD folder of NMM have just 1.5gb, now extrack it = 3gb added to original Skyrim ...., EVERY LITTLE THING works great! Unbeliaveble? Yeah, to many mods, a lot of then, created by amateurs, and just working great! I LOVE EVERYMODDDDER OF NEXUS !!! BUT ...

I do have only one bastart problem, that one ... you know, if i get close to Whiterun's Stable, for exemple FAST TRAVEL to location or just leave Whiterun gates to outsite (close to stables) i got the FOOOOOOOOOOOOO$##%#@¨@¨@¨@¨@¨@#$¨%@!$!!¨%&!@ CTD TOOO!!! I've tried ALL solutions of this TOPIC and so many more from NEXUS, 90% of players seams to fix unpacking Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, i trie too off-course, with a lot of hope, so many times, now i have none ... God help us! And TY to HIM !!! Because the fuc$@%@¨&¨@¨@@ place is useless, i just can't invade the city with the army, but ok, i know what happens in the end of Stormcrow missions, i played some other times, get far , far way, now i have a new savegame, lvl 30.... and is not a big deal, really, so OK. And i can get horses if i want, in any other city, works normal, the stables, well, i Hope someday fix that, just to piece mine soul and get the BEST GAME EVER, running 100% with all that mods! And is not a MOD faulth!! I tried play without then too !! I tried everything like i SAD =SSS =-/ -_.

(SORRY about my poor english, im from Brazil i never have studie english for real, all i learned was playing, online and .... movies, series ... I S2 USA! Wishing be there!)

Edited by Bl4ckH4wK77