• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
I was experiencing crash to desktop quite regulary, perhaps every 3 or 4 hours. You think the value uExterior Cell Buffer=144 in skyrim.ini might have been the culprit? I have an SSD so not sure if the loader auto detected as such and set it to that?

Thank in advance. :)

Edited by ProjectVRD, 29 January 2012 - 04:26 PM.

Mx-T

Mx-T

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts
1. Such a large cell buffer is pretty hefty. Try toning it to something around 60.
2. AFAIK Skyrim has sortofa memory leak, resulting in the game crashing after prolonged, uninterrupted gaming sessions beyond 4 hours.
3. How exactly does the crash look? Windows Error Msg like "Program not working", or a clean CTD without any error message where the game literally just disappears?

ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
It is clean crash to desktop, no error messages. I am using the new Beta from Bethesda but it was crashing before that, I have reinstalled completely without any mods.

ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
I am now using uExterior Cell Buffer=64 with the appropaiate call cell value of 7 added to the .ini below it. I still expierence crashing but I would not be suprised if this is now because of the 1.4 patch on Steam, whereas before it might have been a mod or the Cell Buffer value.

It is hard to narrow down when I try changing too many things too quickly, this is my own fault. I should really go back to 1.3 and with the lower Cell Buffer count.

nosisab

nosisab

The old faithful

• Premium Member
  • 3,071 posts
indeed, ProjectVRD, the calculus is simple, the number of cells + 1 squared ... to vanilla 5 cells it is 5+1=6 ... squared 36 ... for 7 -> 64 ... for 11 !!! = 144, must have machine.

ProjectVRD

ProjectVRD

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
I know, it is a bit rediculous for that value to have been there lol... I am not exactly sure my machine had the 'ooomph!' to pull it off:

i7-930 not overclocked
6GB Corsair XMS3
2x HD5870 (bear in mind Crossfire is not exactly fully fixed even in CCC12.1)
Intel X-25 SSD

So what I will do later is uninstall completely, remove myself from the Steam Beta Patch and then see what happens after reinstalling the game. Hopefully I can build up the mods one by one to see if the buffer really was the problem, or if a mod was causing it. I now Skyrim 1.4 causes CTD's, I was getting it last night after a fresh install and the more sensible buffer already in place. :(

Page loaded in: 2.220 seconds