Can't run Skyrim in offline mode

mikeclough

This is driving me crazy and hopefully someone here can help me. I know the problem is actually with Steam and not Skyrim but maybe someone has found a way round this problem.

I installed Skyrim via Steam on my lovely new Alienware laptop and have been happily playing at home with no problems.

However, my work takes place at remote locations (oil rigs) where often I can't connect my laptop to the Internet. I'm in one such location right now. Company policy is that not only are we not allowed to connect our personal laptops but we are very restricted as to the websites we can access via our work computers - fortunately Nexusmods isn't one of the blocked sites!

Knowing that I wouldn't be able to connect my laptop I made sure before I left home that I could run Skyrim in offline mode. I simply disconnected from my wireless access point and started up Steam/Skyrim in offline mode no problem at all.

24 hours later, on the oil rig, I have just tried to start up Steam. When I clicked on the 'Start In Offline Mode' I got the message 'Steam Error - could not connect to Steam Network' and could get no further. It worked OK yesterday!!

I've tried Googling for a solution to the problem but almost all the sites that might have answers are blocked by my organisation. Can anyone help?? I'm stuck here for two weeks and would really like to be able to play Skyrim in my time off duty.

That´s strange, I did the test once at my home I disconnected the internet and started steam, steam asked me if I wanted offline or online mode, it should do the same for you, are you starting steam as administrator?If not try right click on steam and start as administrator, that small option fixed a lot of my problems.

I have had many problems with Steam in offline mode. I found that the trouble is usually that I have used my laptop where there is internet connection and Steam finds out about updates. When I later try to run a game in offline mode, steam throws a fit and refuses to let me play anything. The only solution, so far as I know is to make sure you update steam and your games EVERY TIME you are in an area with internet connection.

Firstly, thanks to all who have replied to my call for help.

@ orrosta

Yes, I know NOW that in order to run in offline mode you've got to let Steam check and install any updates. I can't, because I can't get online. The thing that really bugs me is that I tried running the game in offline mode (wireless access point disconnected) when I was at home and had no problems.

@ respectfulrat

In order to click on the 'remember password' box you have to be able to run Steam (I think). I can't run Steam because it refuses to start in offline mode. Catch-22.

@ Rooker75

I'm using Windows built-in firewall. How do I set it to block all network access? I've already tried turning off the wireless network adapter, and that didn't make any difference.

@ Rooker75

I'm using Windows built-in firewall. How do I set it to block all network access? I've already tried turning off the wireless network adapter, and that didn't make any difference.

No idea, but it probably wouldn't matter anyway if turning off the adapter didn't work. Wish I could help but sounds like you're another victim of half-assed DRM until you can get Steam online again.

I am having the same problem. The dialog menus that come up when I try to load Skyrim do not give me an option to remember my password. If I try to load the game using the NMM or by going to the directory where the Skyrim files are located and use the TESV.exe or Skyrim.exe, I have the same result. Steam reports that I am not connected to the net when I select 'offline' option & it states that I need to troubleshoot my connection problem.

I am running the 1.3 version of Skyrim and due to a Windows Update(I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1) which I allowed on Feb. 1, 2012, I had a problem with launching Skyrim afterwards! (Another GrEaT MS fix!?) Nothing would happened after the update and I checked to see if any processes respective to the game were running, and there wasn't any. In order to solve the problem, I uninstalled Steam via Control Panel. I cleaned the Registry then reinstalled Steam/Skyrim. My problem with attempting to run the game afterwards is when my problem started.

I am running the game as administrator and I have blocked it inside the Windows Firewall.

The game starts fine IF I AM CONNECTED TO THE NET.

I HAVE NOT UPDATED THE GAME TO THE NEWEST VERSION, YET.

I am very saddened by this dilemma as it seems that one more "FREEDOM" has been trampled on by forcing person(s) who are gaming to ONLY BE ABLE TO DO JUST THAT IF THEY ARE CONNECTED TO THE WEB. I got screwed and wasn't paid.:facepalm: