Will Steam Workshop split the modding community?

LostLEGION

As excited I am about the launch of the Creation Kit, I'm hoping all mods would be at Nexus and Steam Workshop. Steam Workshop is easy to upload and download, convenient for both the modder and the player. But I love the Nexus sites, I really really hope the community would not be split or mass migrated over to SW, that all modders would have an easy way to upload to both sites at the same time so people from both worlds would get to enjoy those wonderful mods.

I don't know about that (talking about OP). There are a lot of people who hate on steam and that hate will extend to steam workshop for no reason Edited by babis8142

i also think after viewing the vid that we have a better ay of organizing our mods and more customization in how we present our mods. Whether or not an author wants to double publish is up to them, I have a feeling a lot of authors might keep their content Nexus exclusive to avoid spending time multi-publishing.

i also think after viewing the vid that we have a better ay of organizing our mods and more customization in how we present our mods. Whether or not an author wants to double publish is up to them, I have a feeling a lot of authors might keep their content Nexus exclusive to avoid spending time multi-publishing.

This is true. Basically it all comes down to which service is most convenience and easy to browse, a war Steam would for sure win. (Casual players who played Skyrim as their first Bethesda game could download mods much much easier)

But, if the sense of community is strong, and tweaks to how Nexus presents itself to be cleaner and better (right now it still needs improvement imo) are employed, I think Nexus would still very well have an edge. (It already has the former) Even for Half-Life 2 mods the majority is at moddb and not on steam, and hopefully it'd the same or at least equally distributed.

Since I have dialup, I have a hard enough time as it is keeping my damned game running via Steam. In fact, I hate the hoops I have to jump through so much, I'll probably never download a single mod from Steam Workshop, since I know the Nexus will always be there for us.

If anything, it might make the community stronger. I mean, the one time an official source for mods and such pops up, it has to use Steam? What were they thinking. (Oh, right: "We don't give a rat's ass about narrowband gamers.")

Personally, I have no use for Steam and keep it in offline mode and firewalled when I'm not updating or downloading a game. Valve/Steam does have a distressingly large fanboy base, but I can't see many mod authors preferring an ESRB-friendly, tightly-managed, corporate walled garden to an open, community-moderated site like the Nexus. If it means actually using Steam as anything but an unwanted background process sitting in my system tray, none of my little mods will be there.

This is the game publishing industry finally acknowledging that modding keeps their games fresh and their sales strong long after their games have exceeded their expected shelf life. That's nice, since it means they realize the value of releasing dev kits to make that easier and not being idiots who send Cease and Desist letters to modders.

It also means they're looking for a way to cash in on that, which makes me wary. I expect at least one big company (probably not Bethesda) to attempt to muscle out all community sites that host mods for their games so they can be the only source of those mods, complete with legal threats, DRM and attempts to disable "unauthorized" mods. Mark my words, as soon as the sharks smell money in the water, someone is going to try it.

We'll have to wait and see how difficult Beth and Steam are making it to save and package mods that you do not want to upload to the workshop -- Since the preview of the CK that was posted only shows how to post them to the workshop and how the workshop will automatically download them and activate them (still have reservations about how that is going to handle mod conflicts) If it is just downloadiing and clicking the esp and expecting it all to work together it is going to create a lot of confusion for new modders as more and more mods are released that try to change the same things in game and if it is just installing new mods with no functions to report potential conflicts.

I have a feeling shortly after release there are going to be a lot of threads on the forum on what happened to my game after I subscribed to these 50 mods and the workshop downloaded and installed them for me and now the game won't launch !!

Edited by JDFan