Skyrim 1.4 update and SKSE

Verinon

So the SKSE for the last beta patch 1.4.21.0 works with the final release too? I will check..

Also I think I may have backed up my 1.3 file when I used a 4gb patch.. (before I found out it wasn't needed after 1.3)

Cheers

Chris, try setting it to not update automatically and then closing properties and then set it back to download automatically. Thats how I forced mine to update.. failing that, restart steam!

I wish I hadn't updated now though coz both SKSE and SD are not working so I can't even play.. heh. No point progressing in the game coz I might mess a save up while those mods are disabled.

And the current SD is only for the beta, and not even the latest beta version. So I really hope that and SKSE are updated today/tomorrow! Maybe I will make another character until then :P

PS is there any way to roll back to v1.3?

SKSE has been updated for most of the day. Can't speak for SD, don't use it.

Rolling back is only possible if you backed up your 1.3.10 tesv.exe. If you didn't, well, start making backups of your executables and next time you can roll back! :thumbsup:

I updated to SKSE 1.4.21 and I keep getting errors and crashing before the game starts. I tried to load the game from the original Skyrim Launcher and I get "Your game version is not supported, supported patches; 1.1.21.0(31oct11)........1.3.10.0(18dec11) error and cant even run the game from launcher. Is this from not having an updated editor or did I mess things up some how?

Also, I am new to running games with mods, will running the game from the original launcher mess up anything with the mods (specifically the hideout mod, don't want to loose all my gear). I have been running Script dragon and SKSE but launching from TESV. Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks for any help, sorry .... tarded

You need to have Steam update Skyrim. You can do a verify cache from the properties and it should fix any borked files and update the game. Your TESV.exe should be 1.4.21 now.

I can't help you with Script Dragon, you will need to wait until they update it.

Edited by Sunnie

I updated to SKSE 1.4.21 and I keep getting errors and crashing before the game starts. I tried to load the game from the original Skyrim Launcher and I get "Your game version is not supported, supported patches; 1.1.21.0(31oct11)........1.3.10.0(18dec11) error and cant even run the game from launcher. Is this from not having an updated editor or did I mess things up some how?

Also, I am new to running games with mods, will running the game from the original launcher mess up anything with the mods (specifically the hideout mod, don't want to loose all my gear). I have been running Script dragon and SKSE but launching from TESV. Is this the right way to do it?

Thanks for any help, sorry .... tarded

You need to have Steam update Skyrim. You can do a verify cache from the properties and it should fix any borked files and update the game. Your TESV.exe should be 1.4.21 now.

I can't help you with Script Dragon, you will need to wait until they update it.

My TESV.exe is currently 1.4.21 and that is why the error I am getting is so weird.

I began by starting the game as usual via TESV and I got an error prior to the launch screen. After reading the posts about the new update from Bethesda I updated SKSE via overwriting the existing files. That is when I began getting the error I stated in my first post. I am tempted to delete script dragon and skse and see if that at least will let me play the game to see if it is a conflict between old and new versions of the editors but I am unfamiliar with how they work and do not want to make the problem worse or loose any data.

How do I verify cache? what properties are you referring to, steam or skyrim and where do I access that? Can you explain?

Thanks a lot for the help Sunnie

In Steam, right click on the Skyrim entry in the Library, and choose properties. Click on the "Local Files" tab, then click the "Verify Integrity Of Game Cache..." button.

Before you do that, I would also delete TESV.exe and SkyrimLauncher.exe and reacquire them through the verify.

Ok so i did as you instructed and much to my chagrin the error still abides :((((

Can I delete SKSE and Script Dragon files from my root directory and not have it mess everything up, just to see if the game will run and then either re-install SKSE or wait for for actual releases of both editors before playing?

Yes, disable them and disable any mods that require them (this is why I stick only to SKSE, too many different dependencies using different hooks are a recipe for disaster). If the game loads ok, then add skse back and try it again (should work, I am running on 1.4.21 for a couple days now with skse for it without issue). Edited by Sunnie

Ok, before I do that though I'm looking into how I can save all the items I have in the Dovakhin Hideout before I disable it. Do you use that mod and/or do you know if there is a way to do that, ie. backing up specific files associated with the mod that has that info allowing me to retain all the items I have in it (which is a ton unfortunately)?

Also, SKSE and SD files were just dropped into the root folder so "disabling" them would be to delete them, correct?

I thought both SKSE and Script Dragon were both necessary since differnt mods are built using a platform so they are not mutually exclusive. Can I eliminate Script Dragon then if it is redundant?

Thanks again, I really appreciate it

Well, there are mods that use which ever they were written for exclusively, none will use either or both. I don't use that hideout thing, I'll be building/modding my own player houses once I have proper tools, so I don't know how that mod works. Just make sure you have your save game backed up and just don't do any saves while you are testing.