Skyrim 1.4 update and SKSE

Verinon

You should not be using Skyboost if you are updated to 1.4. Using either Skyboost or TESVAL with any version of 1.4+ will cause random crashes to desktop.

And as far as SD, unless it directly accesses and controls something baked into the savegame file, I don't think it would be an issue to disable it.

If you DON'T use ScriptDragon-dependent mods, all you have to do is right click on the Skyrim bar in your Game Library on Steam, click properties in the drop-down, then find where you can ask to verify file integrity on Skyrim. It will take a couple minutes, identify missing files or code, and download and apply it automatically. This is part of why they chose Steam integration, as annoying as it often is, it has its upsides.

As for SKSE, near as I can tell, it's working and stable, still, but I hit the ScriptDragon wall because apparently Alexander still needs some time to update it for the new version, since he's set ScriptDragon to lock-out any versions of the game that are newer than what he built them for, and he's likely grinding out a new update as we speak. Generally, these guys aren't just sitting on their hands when an update comes out, but coding like this isn't something that can generally just be done in a few minutes. It often takes hours or days. Understand that, and be patient, and I'm sure he'll put out an update today, if possible.

Remember, there's a very real chance that ScriptDragon will go by the wayside as soon as the CK releases, and people can tie their mods in via CK code in the Kit, instead of relying on a third-party coding app. It will still have some uses, I'm sure, but the additional coding function and interactivity it provides can likely be cut out in the future, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. It would be nice if the ability to play at any given time, with complex, quality mods, was dependent on fewer updates from fewer scripting programs. Too much bother for the average person. If not, it would be nice to see ScriptDragon get copyrighted and rolled into SKSE, so that more than one person can work on it, instead of having to wait on one guy to find the time. Cooperation and collaboration is always a good thing, in cases like this.

Just my thoughts, and two cents.

In addition, the big thing to remember is that you can always disable ScriptDragon mods and delete or move ScriptDragon itself from the client folder temporarily, and play without those dependent mods. Generally speaking, SKSE does NOT break updated versions of the game, because the mods you load are dependent upon the old version of SKSE, not necessarily the Skyrim.exe itself. There are rare cases where there will be conflicted scripting between SKSE and the launcher after an update, but only if the parent scripting is changed in a way which affects children modified by the extender. That said, I've only run into those a few times, on Oblivion, and haven't had any issues with SKSE yet. If you absolutely MUST play Skyrim RIGHT NOW, that will likely be the only real solution. I personally still have Oblivion, other games, and an XBox 360 with a whole stable of titles to goof off on, so I don't feel an overriding need to bang my head against the wall. This won't bother me in the least, because I'll just check Alex's site later today, and there will likely be an update released promptly.

i think im just going to delete all script mods dealing with script dragon and skse. Its too much of a pain to watch good mods (like elys skill mod and xso) and such just dump their work because of a change. If your going to mod, stick with it for gods sakes.