tutorial: custom armor in CK

cecil101

Ill quick write how to import custom armor meshes and put them into the game using the creation kit....

first create a new set of folders in the skyrim dirrectory

skyrim >data >meshes >armor >imperial(or whatever) >f or m

put your armor nifs in there. both _1 and _0 or slider may not work

this is the only way I know how to get custom models into the CK

next go into the CK and copy an armor (I used armorimperiallightcuirass)

go to the new copy > right click > edit (armorimperiallightcuirassCOPY000)

in the 3rd column (under the male and female world objects) there is a box, titled "models"

double click on the model in there and a new window will open

go to the top and look at the ID. (remember the origional name) .. for this ill say imperiallightcuirassAA

rename it to whatever you want.. for this ill say i renamed it to "BLAH"

click ok, a prompt will ask if you want to creat a new form.... CLICK YES

now that window will close.

right click under the model section and click new

in the new window, look for origion and renamed model. if both are there you are in good shape.

click on your renamed model and click ok

now, delete the origional model name. right click > delete

double click on your new model name and a new window will open

In the new window there are 2 sections male and female

next to biped model there a button that say "select"

click select and brows through the directory you created earlier.

select the _1 nif and a new window will open, just click ok.

if you are getting errors loading custom meshes, there is a work around below in yellow.

you can also change the first person mesh in this area as well.

after that, click ok and were back at the other window again.

here you make other changes

when done here click ok, it will ask you if you want to creat a new form, for this CLICK NO, then yes on next prompt

now you have a new standalone armor :)

If you are having issues drawing certain nifs into the CK, find one that works.... doesnt matter what it is....

then copy and rename it in the above directory you made.

Go back and use this new copy as the mesh for your object

go into nif scope, open up your nif and save over the nif you made a copy of

2 things with this work around.... DISCLAIMER lmao!!!

one, It worked great for me!!!

two, make sure you do not change the name when you save over the copied nif.... your object is linked to that nif.... all your doing is changing the contents

three, and this is a big one, after the contents of the nif have been changed to the custom mesh, I DO NOT know how the CK will react if you try to load it up in the CK (assuming you are using this workaround because of errors)

Here are a few things to keep in mind :)

if you want a replacer, just dont creat a copy of the item, use the origional :)

ID: make sure this is different from the origional and from the model ID

NAME: Make sure this is different from the origional (this is how it will appear in game)

the tutorial provided by the creation kit wiki will help you get it craftable and improvable

just remember to refrence your new object ID for the crafting/temporing portions.

Hope this helped and sorry it was a quicky :)

slider will also work, so now worries there about just loading the _1 nif in the CK

I dont know for fact, but i imagine weapons arnt much different

I deeply apologize for the person who told me how to set up the diectory in the skyrim folder. that was their idea and unfortunaly i cannot remember their name :wallbash:

Edited by cecil101

Should I expect this to work with any NIF so long as there is a 0 and 100 weight version? I have been trying to get a few types working that i made with MAX and the GD thing crashes when I load up the custom nif. This is a bunch of s***--modeling for Skyrim. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Could you please do a tutorial on how to take a vanilla item, for example a thalmor robe, duplicate it and make the new item use a different texture? I have a mod that's set up to allow you to create 4 different thalmor robes, but I want each to be able to be crafted with a different texture.

I read you can't just do this with the ck, and also need nifskope, but ive never used that before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I followed this tut and the wiki version but have found that the ck does not draw custom models that i already have had working in game as direct replacements.

so does anyone els have issues with custom models not being rended in the CK.

to this point ive not managed to get a single mod working :(

Could you please do a tutorial on how to take a vanilla item, for example a thalmor robe, duplicate it and make the new item use a different texture? I have a mod that's set up to allow you to create 4 different thalmor robes, but I want each to be able to be crafted with a different texture.

I read you can't just do this with the ck, and also need nifskope, but ive never used that before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you can, you just need to make a new object in the CK for each mesh.... also, you must make a new recipe/ temper object as well

I followed this tut and the wiki version but have found that the ck does not draw custom models that i already have had working in game as direct replacements.

so does anyone els have issues with custom models not being rended in the CK.

to this point ive not managed to get a single mod working :(

if you are having issues drawing certain nifs into the CK, find one that works.... doesnt matter what it is....

then copy and rename it in the above directory you made.

Go back and use this new copy as the mesh for your object

go into nif scope, open up your nif and save over the nif you made a copy of

2 things with this.... DISCLAIMER lmao!!!

one, ive never tried it yet but planned on it with a nif im having trouble with, so for now, untill its tested.... use at your own risk

two, make sure you do not change the name.... your object is linked to that nif.... all your doing is changing the contents :)

Sadly I understood little of what you ment. I am a noob with loads of years in experience being a noob (only reskin I ever did was for old pre alpha CS. And then it was only changing the texture straight ontop of a already in use texture).

Howver, I abhor the notion that mages cannot wear robes and armor at the same time. I love the look and feel of the Dragon scale armor (the only true successor to the awesom glass armor of Morrowind). If I could have used a lower robe ontop of the greaves, like morrowind allowed, then this would not have been such a problem for me. But I cannot, so I will just have to learn modding.

The question then becomes. How do I export models and textures from Skyrim, what program can I use to combine the meshes, and is there any vidotutorial for this? If you are gonna reply to my post here, please assume I got half a brain.

/cheers