Using any joypad for Skyrim?

Barlas

any controller that uses xinput will work natively in skyrim.

if your controller is dinput only, you can use soemthing like suggested above, pinnacle, or other 3rd party software that lets you map xinput from any dinput source. im guessing this would be a lot less hassle than modding skyrim to recognize any non-xinput controller (if its even possible)

Edited by AmethystDeceiver

I have controller that is more like PS3 than xbox, so i downloaded xbox controller emulator (ximput), tweaked ini so it fits my controller and it works.

There is only one problem, gameplay sucked, simply because it isn't fable like, I needed more shortcuts and I wanted to aim precisely so I went back to mouse + keyboard.

For today's games on the PC, you either:

a. Use a Xbox360 controller.

b. Emulate your controller do be one.

Use SkyUI, with categorized favorites mod. It's 10 times better than the vanilla GUI, even for the controller. Was surprised how fast I started navigating the windows.

Edited by HideInLight

Use a 360 pad. it works out of the box. the icons in game change the moment you plug it in. The tutorials on controls refresh. I personally find anything but native controller support is not good enough to consider ditch the keyboard.

Skyrim works best with a pad, bar favourite items. pc can have 9 (num keys), xbox pad has 2 (left and right on dpad)

360 controller support is becoming standard for new PC games.