Import New Meshes into Skyrim?

dragonclaw88

Hey guys, I'm ready to create a whole bunch of new static meshes for use in the Skyrim CK but I don't really know where to start. I'm using a real-world scale in MAX, which I know is wrong, so I'll have to get a reference into MAX to scale everything. That's my first question:

1) How can I scale my new meshes' units to Skyrim prior to export?

2) How do I create collision meshes?

3) How do I export to nifskope AND save all the diff, norm, and spec maps in the NIF file?

4) where do I put my new NIF and texture file?

If there's anyone who can help me I'd really appreciate it because I'm anxious to get my team's handcrafted dungeon into Skyrim!

1. You already answered your first question in the first two lines, so why haven't you done it? There's no automated feature to scale your meshes to the right size.

2. There was a particular way to accomplish this back when modding Oblivion and Fallout. If these methods have changed someone will need to write a new tutorial. I don't think there is a single mod out yet that features new world object meshes, so you'll have to wait until someone with experience has done it and hope they share their knowledge.

3. There are countless tutorials between Skyrim Nexus and these forums that explain the process of importing/exporting meshes from Max/Blender to Nifskope and the game. Run a forum Search or visit the Modders Resources and Tutorials category on Skyrim Nexus. Same answer for the second part of this question.

4. In the meshes and textures folders, where else? :P

Edited by FavoredSoul

1. You already answered your first question in the first two lines, so why haven't you done it? There's no automated feature to scale your meshes to the right size.

Because I would want a model the same size as the player. Is there a way to get a character model inside 3ds MAX?

2. There was a particular way to accomplish this back when modding Oblivion and Fallout. If these methods have changed someone will need to write a new tutorial. I don't think there is a single mod out yet that features new world object meshes, so you'll have to wait until someone with experience has done it and hope they share their knowledge.

Thanks, but I know there was. Is there anyone with the experience and knowledge to create collisions for static meshes? Or someone who knows of a tutorial relevant to Skyrim, as apposed to just some other game only?

3. There are countless tutorials between Skyrim Nexus and these forums that explain the process of importing/exporting meshes from Max/Blender to Nifskope and the game. Run a forum Search or visit the Modders Resources and Tutorials category on Skyrim Nexus. Same answer for the second part of this question.

Well, that's what I'm worried about. See, as far as I can tell, these are all tutorials on how to REPLACE meshes in the game, not create new static meshes. I don't want to just CHANGE the game; I want to ADD to it. The tutorials that are out there already confuse me because they assume you know what everything in nifscope does and only end by changing one sword to another, etc. I could really use a new explanation, or more insight into another. If anyone knows a relevant tutorial that I have overlooked, can you please say so and tell me what else I need to know to make something BRAND NEW?

4. In the meshes and textures folders, where else? :P

But those are compressed .BSA files. how do I get my texture and NIF files in there?

Thank you again to everyone who takes time to read this and help me.

Edited by dragonclaw88

1. Every armor and weapon tutorial out there provides at least SOME information on how to import and export *.NIF files into 3dsmax (or Blender depending on the tut). I can't figure out how or why you decided to dismiss these tutorials for this information, as you would have found the same information I summarized below:

In order to import NIF files into 3dsmax, you will need:

• 3dsMax2010, 2011 or 2012
  • Niftools which you can download HERE
  • And the VERY latest version of Nifskope which I strongly encourage you to download from HERE

After these files are installed you will be able to import Skyrim meshes into 3dsMax using the Import option.

"Skyrim - Meshes.bsa" contains all of the 3d models used in the game, including male and female character bodies. What you want to do is open the BSA file with one of the Nexus BSA archives or Mod Managers and extract all of its contents to somewhere on your HD. Once extracted, you will notice all of the meshes are found in a folder called Meshes. To import the male or female body into 3dsmax, you can find them in the following subfolder:

• Meshes \ Actors \ Character \ Character Assets \ ...

In 3dsMax, after you have selected a mesh to import, you will be prompted to define import options. Copy what you see in the image below except the address with the red dot next to it:

http://www.favoredsoul.com/images/TESV-2012-02-01-21-57-26.jpg

Rigged meshes require use of the Skeleton. You must specify the location of the Skeleton if you want to import meshes with rigging (typically armors). The skeleton is called "Skeleton.nif" and is also located in the subfolder listed before.

Be aware that these settings NEVER change. Once you specify them 3dsmax will remember your choices for the next import session.

Once you have the body imported into your scene you will have to manually resize your meshes to something appropriate.

2. If you remember correctly, I said that I have yet to see ANY mods on the nexus that feature new world objects; this means that probably no one has made any yet! so don't expect ANYONE to come along and answer your query anytime soon. You will have to figure this out yourself, or wait until someone else does. The reason is the Creation Kit is needed. Since the Creation Kit is only a few days old, obviously nobody has made any yet. Its too early to be able to find this information.

3. You don't have to wait until you have a collision mesh to be able to export your meshes out of 3dsMax (well, you can at least practice the process) .All you need to do is hit Export, select the *.nif file format, and make sure your export settings look like this:

http://www.favoredsoul.com/images/TESV-2012-02-01-22-07-31.jpg

In order to specify textures, im going to direct you to one of the armor tutorials you dimissed as being irrelevant:

Head to 8:00 minutes. He's using two helmets, you'll be using YOUR exported mesh, and why don't you just use the iron helmet as well to copy data from.

If you don't understand what he's doing in this tutorial NOBODY is going to help explain this to you in clearer words: this is as easy as it gets.

Whether your making a new dungeon tileset or a pasta strainer as armor for your characters chest, the steps to texture a nif mesh file are EXACTLY the same.

4. Have you never downloaded a mod from the nexus before? You've installed them haven't you? You've never bothered to look in your Skyrim data directory at least once? If you did, you would see a Meshes and a Textures folder, and inside this meshes and textures folder you would find lots of mesh and texture files in various different subfolders. All the mesh and texture files you create will be kept in these folders as well. Make a new folder with YOUR name on it, and keep your files in there. Link to these files when texturing your meshes in nifskope. I don't think ANYBODY uses a BSA file to store their modded files. They may have done this in Oblivion and the Fallout games, but this is Skyrim, not Oblivion or Fallout.

Edited by FavoredSoul

I am trying to do the same. I am stuck with a few things at the min. but I am slowly getting there.

This is my understanding so far it may help you. Somebody will hopfully correct if anything is wrong which it probably is and thats why I am struggling, and why I haven’t imported anything yet! so don’t hold me to any of this. I am new to modding and am just trying to get prepared for the mammoth mod’s I plan on making.

Software, Tools & Plugins Required.

Skyrim Script Extender / Nexus Mod Manager / NifSkope v1.1.0-rc5 / NifTools v3.7.1 Plugin (For 3DS Max). / FO3 Archive Utility / Skyrim Creation Kit / 3DS Max (Or similar) / Photoshop (Or similar)/ NVIDIA Plugin for the DDS files (For Photoshop). / DDS Thumbnail Viewer / DDS Viewer.

This is my proposed work flow.

1. Use the FO3 Archive Utility to extract the data from the *.BSA files.

2. Use NifTools v3.7.1 Plugin For 3DS Max. To import/export models.

3. Use 3DS Max to model and unwrap UV’s.

4. Photoshop for textures (Save as *.dds using the NVIDIA plugin.)

5. Use the NiFTools Shader in 3DS max to set up materials. (To do this select a standard material and change it from Blinn to NifTools Shader in the Shader Basic Parameters... I am Not sure if you have to do this, it is how the texture shader imports into max from the original models so I will stick with it for the moment. I think it sets it up for NifSkope to know where the textures are rather than doing it in NifSkope. (Please Note that setting the NifTools shader sometimes crashes my Max)).

6. Export the model as a *.nif.

7. Use NifSkope to open, setup textures, setup collision mesh ect. (Haven’t got this far yet)

8. Somehow get it into Skyrim (I think I know, see below).

9. Grin & Marvel at what you have done.

10. Post it on nexus so others can grin & marvel at what you have done.

Example of File Names.

Mesh = wallOldWood001.nif

Diffuse = wallOldWood001.dds

Specular = wallOldWood001_m.dds

Normal = wallOldWood001_n.dds

Glow = wallOldWood001_g.dds

My file structures will be somthing like this:

Meshs = “meshes\myMod\oldBuildingsWood\walls\wallOldWood001.nif”

Textures = “textures\myMod\oldBuildingWood\walls\wallOldWood001.dds”

Here are some Model Sizes In Max Generic Units measured with the tape tool:

From looking at some of the original floor tiles for homes and dungeons I have found that they are sized at 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 1024x512 ect. These sizes are so it will be easier to place/build interiors using the snap to grid in the creation kit. Remember this when modelling/creating dungeon walls and alike, I havent found any common heights yet though.

A human is at around 128 units tall.

A Giant is at around 268 units tall.

Installing New Meshes (This maybe all wrong I have had errors about missing textures and haven’t managed to do it yet but it looks hopeful):

1. Place you meshes and textures into the correct folders. (e.g. C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Data\meshes\myMod\oldBuildingWood\walls\wallOldWood001.dds) If you dont have a meshes folder then just create one likwise with a texture folder.

2. Open the Creation Kit.

3. Load skyrim.esm.

4. Right click on the table part of the object window.

5. Select New.

6. Navigate to your mesh (This is where I get stuck with errors regarding textures if I ignore the creation Kit crashes).

And from here I dont know where to go yet but will update if I find out any more.

Hope it helps.

If you get it all working please please please let me know. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I created a new mesh for static ship( samething as building I guess?). Although the ship appears fine in the Creation Kit, it does not appear in-game. I have been trying to resolve this problem for like a month... Have you made your new mesh appear in-game?

I would like to direct you to my link http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/569417-i-need-mod-experts-help-me-please/page__st__10

I has all the pictures of how i'm doing it but I really need your help. Please leave a reply after you read my post. Thanks a lot.

I recognize that voice!!!!

Thank you my good friend for making this tutorial available. I will hopefully hear more of that voice in teamspeak over at the Firingsquad.

To the rest of you.

Expect to see some of Nico's mods created for Oblivion available for download to your Skyrim game :D

Here is my blog, where I desribe how to import a new character from 3ds max into skyrim

http://3694.blogspot.com/search/label/Skyrim

Sorry it is in russian

But in the 2nd and 3rd part you can find a link for a normal skeleton for skyrim. It was created for using in 3dsmax with CAT system and has a Z oriented axis for bones and there is no problem for mirroring weights in skin.

It a WIP but it works correctly in nifscope.

It already has bones for armor and weapons and correct names for body parts.

If you have any question you can ask it using

skype Sefcheg

icq 469 240 460