Is there a MOD limit?

rabidNode

Theoretically, it's 255 plugins. This is not the case for New Vegas somehow, so the jury is out until someone tries running that many.

Technically the plugin limit is 256. You have 00-FF, FF is 255 now add 00 and you have 256 slots, but you cant use 00 or FF so that leaves 254. This is reduced to 253 when you add the most recent update, and it is further reduced when adding the unofficial patches. I guess you could try and get 255 free slots by removing Skyrim.esm, Update.esm if you don't have any DLC, but I don't see that working in anyway.

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have 253 mods currently active. This isn't counting the Skyrim.esm or the official patch. If I add 1 more, it starts acting very wonky. It doesn't matter what mod I add, it screws up the same way each time. Without that extra one loaded, it works perfectly fine. Initially, it would crash at the title screen. Now, it actually loads the game, but I am suddenly in the Bannered Mare, and I die immediately on load in. If I activate God Mode quick enough, I live, but the screen starts flashing black every half second or so, and I start getting 5 food items added constantly to my inventory. All my quests get restarted as well. So, I get all the quest popups. This only happens if I add the total to 254 plus Skyrim.esm and patch. So, as stated before, the limit is 255, but that counts Skyrim.esm and the patch as part of that total unlike nosisab stated.

I did discover, and it took a while to track down, that having too many esp's in the Data folder can cause issues, whether active or not, to the point where the game would run, but no mods were active (which was odd because the save still loaded). Apparently, having 400-500 esps in the Data folder (yea, I'm lazy) can make all mods bawk. Spot of housekeeping in the Data folder and all was fine again.

• 6 months later...

Using a pretty basic Gateway Desktop Computer with AMD Dual-Core E1-1500 APU Radeon HD 7310 Graphics, 500GB Hard Drive, and 6GB DDR3 Memory I can run a MAXIMUM of 255 Mods at the same time. Even one more than 255 causes Nexus Mod Manager to tell me Skyrim cannot handle any more than 255 and NMM is correct, Skyrim WILL not play any more than 255. That being said I am speaking from personal experience. Others might have more mods caused by a better computer or something but as far as I can tell...

255 is the max amount of Mods for Skyrim at any given time.

• 1 year later...

You can always create merged mods, attaching mods on one single .esp file... hehe I have done that and pass the limit of 255 mods (I use NMM you can install more mods than 255, NMM or Wrye bash doesnot allows it)... but you must have very clear what mods are you going to merge, because just merging a lot of mods (different single .esp files along with their folders of resources: meshes, textures, sounds, etc) does not assure a stable game. You can pass the limit of +255 mods merging mods, using TES5Edit merge plugin and then add all the mod resources in a single folder and add the merged .esp file there too. The best way to pass the 255 limit without having stability problems is assuring the mods you merge are of the categories of weapons, armors, clothes, or even some minor "tweak mods" what changes a few vanilla things like lets say for example: "Change carry weight mod" for say something.

You can always pass the limit of +255 mods, but be aware of concequences... It can be played with +255 mods and have a stable game, I did it once, but its need to have very clear the mods you add, know all about them, pick the "essentials" for your gameplay and "sacrifice" conflicting mods, or mods gives trouble. One thing If you plan to have more than 255 mods on your game, be assure are not heavy script mods, like overhaul or big quest mods, or the gameplay would be a mess or you would get crashes.

Last thing having +255 mods doesnt meants your game must be unstable, just depends on what kind of mods do you add to your gameplay mod list, but even having a "crash free" and "perfect" installed mods, doesnt not assure a stable gameplay, due game engine mechanics, so to really make worth having +255 mods and a stable gameplay,

I think is really important tweak your game but in a proper way, tweaking your .ini files, using mods or tools help improve your game stability, knowing your system capabilities, adjusting your system, the game and the mechanic settings to all be balanced according to tree main things:

- Your machine features.

- The game limited mechanic engine.

- Your mod list (and what kind of mods have you added).

Tweaking your game properly in a way those tree main aspects are in balance you would play as The Gods, If you not reach to do that, just conform with playing as a humble mortal, with issues or crashes.

The Way of the Modder... a long path where one is always learning...

• 1 year later...

i have 261 mods :tongue:

This is an ancient thread. Let it die.

Since there seems to be some confusion though, I want to clarify something:

The game can theoretically handle an infinite number of mods. However, it is impossible to have more than 255 plugins (i.e. .esm, .esp). The game will almost always crash, but if it doesn't, then no plugins will load (including the official ones).