Help with Body/New Race/FaceGen Mod?

Okay427

So I'm totally new to modding. Like, 100% clueless-having-issues-installing-blender-properly new. I mean, I've played around with the CK for Fallout a bit, but in terms of actually creating and implementing a full fledged mod, I'm lost. I am however, willing and hoping to learn at least a little bit about the subject.

That said, I really need one of three things:

1.) For somebody to guide me through the process of exactly what I'd like to do step by step. Which is rude and naive of me to ask, and generally unlikely (although you do all seem like nice folks, but I couldn't ask to take up so much of your time and patience).

2.) A more likely solution is for some kind soul to guide me to the various tutorials and/or experienced modders who specifically know how to solve the issue(s) I'm going to/have already faced.

3.) Or, someone has miraculously already made/ is working on the mod I seek. (VERY unlikely, but you never know...)

The first logical step would be to actually mention what it is I'm trying to do, wouldn't it? ...Yeah I should do that.

The main (and rather lofty) goal is to create either:

A.) A custom race with a custom body and face mesh and texture.

or

B.) Make an entirely new slider on the character creation screen that would affect the body and face meshes and textures of all races.

Option A is probably what I'll go for, since (I assume) it'll be easier to make one new race with the Creation Kit rather than edit the properties of ALL the others.

More specifically what I'm attempting to do is add more body diversity in Skyrim. Specifically with the native Nord males, I'd like to add some bigger guys, as well as provide the option to use the same body mesh for a playable character.

And I don't mean scale-bigger ( I could easily do that in the CK), I mean chubbier-bigger (hence the reason I need to edit the body mesh[es]). It'd be fun to have a unique character, and I've always felt that the "drink mead and be hearty" attitude of some should have a body to match. Yeah, I am pretty weird...

SO, here's a list of things I assume I'll need to know how to do.

1.) Import the body mesh (.nif file) into a 3D mesh editor with a skeleton. I've tried this 3 times with varying configurations of Blender/Nifscripts, following different tutorials every time. All of them were for Oblivion though, so none worked...

2.) Actually be able to edit the mesh ( I have absolutely no experience with this at all. This will be a difficult step.)

3.) Somehow edit facegen meshes and/or settings to allow for bigger faces/features (bigger cheeks, lower chins, etc.). Skyrim does still use facegen like Fallout3/NV and Oblivion, right?

4.) Export meshes from aforementioned editing program and import it back into the CK ( I think I sort of know how to do this, and if I can't figure it out I think I know some tutorials to help)

5.) Implement everything into a new race with proper configuration (i.e. allow the race to be chosen on Character Creation screen, give it several perks/disadvantages, etc.)

6.) 500 other things I probably don't know about.

I understand it's likely WAY too annoying to sit down and try to guide my stupid slow brain through all of this, so if you just know/have the patience to guide me through or link me to a tutorial on one of these parts, I'd appreciate it very much.

If not, I totally understand.

Regardless, for any of you who read all that stupidity, I applaud your honor and patience. :thumbsup:

Bump because I have a very similar set of questions that I also made a post about on the Bethesda forums (unfortunately I cannot post links or I'd promote this thread in mine as well). Hopefully someone will see one of ours! :D Edited by Talaaya

tutorials

This should have everything you are looking for.

As for Blender, I had that issue to trying to get the Nif files to work correctly. Make sure you have extracted the Skyrim mesh file to any location (this can be done using FOMM- http://fallout3.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=640).

Open up NifSkope (make sure its the correct version to open the Skyrim meshes- http://sourceforge.net/projects/niftools/files/nifskope/1.1.0/) and select whatever mesh you are editing. Go to File, export, export.OBJ. Export the OBJ file to any location in a folder, open blender, go to file, import, import OBJ, and voila.

If you are looking to make a brand new mesh, follow one of the tutorials that are in the link I provided. Once you have your desired mesh, do what I said above in reverse. export the obj, import the obj in nifskope, and do what you need to do with the skeleton.

• 3 months later...