With the advent of Skyrim's Creator Kit, myself and a good friend, fellow Nexus member Myrajia, are developing a mod to replace Skyrim's lore-unfriendly and underwhelming Cyrodiilic Vampires with something more lore-consistent, and in the long term, more powerful. We personally feel Bethesda was way too conservative when balancing Vampires, and that the aforementioned powers of a Volkihar imply tons of missed opportunities in the vanilla game.
This mod will use an age-based system for the advancement of Vampiric powers, in lieu of them becoming stronger at higher levels of Hunger. In addition to the new stuff, vanilla abilities will be retained, and some will actually be improved, but these abilities will only advance as you age. New Vampires will start off fairly vulnerable (while still reaping some of the mod's unique benefits), but by the time you hit the third level of growth, you'll have several substantial advantages over vanilla Vampires as long as you keep yourself fed.
(note: we're still pre-Alpha, so this stuff is subject to change)
- An age-based system for growth, with five levels - Fledgling (20 days), Blooded, (45 days), Nightstalker (100 days), Ancient, (200 days), and finally Master.
- Permanent Waterbreathing.
- Immunity to Paralysis.
- Sunlight penalties have been altered to be less punishing - namely, the lack of natural Stamina regeneration has been removed entirely, and you will regenerate a small amount of HP and MP over time. In exchange, you will take more damage at higher Hunger levels.
- Feeding will produce a temporary 'Blood Euphoria' effect - potency and duration will improve with age.
- A synthable Blood Poison item, which can be used on a victim in lieu of feeding. Consuming the resultant Blood Potion will revert your Hunger level to stage 1 for 8 hours, after which you revert to whatever stage you were previously. Useful for long outings.
- Ancient and Master Vampires can go 48 and 72 hours without feeding before advancing a Hunger level, respectively.
- Improved attribute regeneration for all age levels when not in sunlight.
- Damage bonuses when not in sunlight for later age levels.
- Movement speed increase for later age levels.
- Damage bonus to Frost spells at higher age levels, whether in sunlight or not.
- Ice Wraith summon at Nightstalker and up. Will improve with age (props to jack254 for this idea)
- A Charge system for some of the new Powers; you may use them a certain amount of times within a 24 hour period.
- Nightstalker Vampires and older can use the Bloodfreeze power a certain amount of times per day. The potency of this ability and total uses per day will increase as you hit Ancient and Master.
- The ability to summon a ghost of your former self, once a day. This ability will strengthen as you age, and reach its pinnacle form at Master level.
Detailed Mod Mechanics
(i.e. what we have planned beyond the core changes - if we can't release any of this, we'll just put out whatever we can; the core changes are obviously top priority)
- A simplified AI version of the mod that can be tossed onto enemy Vampies, ideally in such a way that conflicts with other mods that alter enemy distibutions would be minimal.
- Trippy dream sequences for advancement between age levels (not to worry, day total will still accumulate before you sleep).
- A unique weapon of your choosing, to be obtained at the end of the final dream sequence.
- A later 'expansion' mod for a Volkihar-themed Vampire Lair east of Windhelm. Obtaining it will involve defeating the (very cranky) Master Vampire occupant. Skeleton butler and immortal pet Frostbite Spider to be included.
- Radiant conflicts between Vampire Hunters and Volkihar of varying strengths throughout eastern Skyrim; likely a supplement to the Lair mod if that gets released.
- Retroactive age increases for anyone who was been a vanilla Vampire long enough, utilizing a day counter.
(note: the following sections will be updated as frequently as possible, to better maintain transparency for the mod's progress)
- Altered sunlight penalties to be less punishing, but still become worse as time is spent without feeding.
- Created a testing cell inhabited by a sleeping high elf known only as 'Bite Me!' for script testing.
- Added a temporary Blood Euphoria bonus upon feeding; successfully debugged.
- Finished scripting a system for evolving Vampire abilities as they age up.
Work in progress
- Added Sepherose to the team for support in texturing, and began work on the Vérdéran Weapon set.
- Started work on the Volkihar daily abilities.
- Made files for all abilities in Creation Kit; currently filling them out as needed, and bracing for the upcoming slew of debugging.
- Testing blood potions and fixing issues in the scripting interface.
- Implementation of new abilities unlocked by age, including the Bloodfreeze ability, and the ability to summon a ghost of the vampire's old self.
- Debugging Bloodfreeze
- Completion of age up script and bugfixing.
Thanks for checking this out. May your undead flesh be filled with the blood of unsuspecting mortals
Edited by Kyuukei, 31 May 2012 - 05:16 AM.