• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Kyuukei

Kyuukei

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
"The next day, he did return with more questions, these ones very specific. He wanted to know about the vampires of eastern Skyrim. I told him about the most powerful tribe, the Volkihar, paranoid and cruel, whose very breath could freeze their victims' blood in the veins. I explained to him how they lived beneath the ice of remote and haunted lakes, never venturing into the world of men except to feed." - Immortal Blood

Posted Image

The Concept

With the advent of Skyrim's Creator Kit, myself and a good friend, fellow Nexus member Myrajia, are developing a mod to replace Skyrim's lore-unfriendly and underwhelming Cyrodiilic Vampires with something more lore-consistent, and in the long term, more powerful. We personally feel Bethesda was way too conservative when balancing Vampires, and that the aforementioned powers of a Volkihar imply tons of missed opportunities in the vanilla game.

This mod will use an age-based system for the advancement of Vampiric powers, in lieu of them becoming stronger at higher levels of Hunger. In addition to the new stuff, vanilla abilities will be retained, and some will actually be improved, but these abilities will only advance as you age. New Vampires will start off fairly vulnerable (while still reaping some of the mod's unique benefits), but by the time you hit the third level of growth, you'll have several substantial advantages over vanilla Vampires as long as you keep yourself fed.

Planned Features

(note: we're still pre-Alpha, so this stuff is subject to change)

- An age-based system for growth, with five levels - Fledgling (20 days), Blooded, (45 days), Nightstalker (100 days), Ancient, (200 days), and finally Master.

- Permanent Waterbreathing.

- Immunity to Paralysis.

- Sunlight penalties have been altered to be less punishing - namely, the lack of natural Stamina regeneration has been removed entirely, and you will regenerate a small amount of HP and MP over time. In exchange, you will take more damage at higher Hunger levels.

- Feeding will produce a temporary 'Blood Euphoria' effect - potency and duration will improve with age.

- A synthable Blood Poison item, which can be used on a victim in lieu of feeding. Consuming the resultant Blood Potion will revert your Hunger level to stage 1 for 8 hours, after which you revert to whatever stage you were previously. Useful for long outings.

- Ancient and Master Vampires can go 48 and 72 hours without feeding before advancing a Hunger level, respectively.

- Improved attribute regeneration for all age levels when not in sunlight.

- Damage bonuses when not in sunlight for later age levels.

- Movement speed increase for later age levels.

- Damage bonus to Frost spells at higher age levels, whether in sunlight or not.

- Ice Wraith summon at Nightstalker and up. Will improve with age (props to jack254 for this idea)

- A Charge system for some of the new Powers; you may use them a certain amount of times within a 24 hour period.

- Nightstalker Vampires and older can use the Bloodfreeze power a certain amount of times per day. The potency of this ability and total uses per day will increase as you hit Ancient and Master.

- The ability to summon a ghost of your former self, once a day. This ability will strengthen as you age, and reach its pinnacle form at Master level.

Screenshots

Vérdéran Sword

http://cloud.steampo...199713C76FF537/

http://cloud.steampo...CA5C537E6E4C7D/

Detailed Mod Mechanics

Spoiler

Supplementary Stuff

(i.e. what we have planned beyond the core changes - if we can't release any of this, we'll just put out whatever we can; the core changes are obviously top priority)

- A simplified AI version of the mod that can be tossed onto enemy Vampies, ideally in such a way that conflicts with other mods that alter enemy distibutions would be minimal.

- Trippy dream sequences for advancement between age levels (not to worry, day total will still accumulate before you sleep).

- A unique weapon of your choosing, to be obtained at the end of the final dream sequence.

- A later 'expansion' mod for a Volkihar-themed Vampire Lair east of Windhelm. Obtaining it will involve defeating the (very cranky) Master Vampire occupant. Skeleton butler and immortal pet Frostbite Spider to be included.

- Radiant conflicts between Vampire Hunters and Volkihar of varying strengths throughout eastern Skyrim; likely a supplement to the Lair mod if that gets released.

- Retroactive age increases for anyone who was been a vanilla Vampire long enough, utilizing a day counter.

(note: the following sections will be updated as frequently as possible, to better maintain transparency for the mod's progress)

Work Completed

- Altered sunlight penalties to be less punishing, but still become worse as time is spent without feeding.

- Created a testing cell inhabited by a sleeping high elf known only as 'Bite Me!' for script testing.

- Added a temporary Blood Euphoria bonus upon feeding; successfully debugged.

- Finished scripting a system for evolving Vampire abilities as they age up.

Work in progress

- Added Sepherose to the team for support in texturing, and began work on the Vérdéran Weapon set.

- Started work on the Volkihar daily abilities.

- Made files for all abilities in Creation Kit; currently filling them out as needed, and bracing for the upcoming slew of debugging.

- Testing blood potions and fixing issues in the scripting interface.

- Implementation of new abilities unlocked by age, including the Bloodfreeze ability, and the ability to summon a ghost of the vampire's old self.

- Debugging Bloodfreeze

- Completion of age up script and bugfixing.

Thanks for checking this out. May your undead flesh be filled with the blood of unsuspecting mortals :devil:

Edited by Kyuukei, 31 May 2012 - 05:16 AM.

Myrajia

Myrajia

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Anyone interested in any of the three team roles we're recruiting for should feel free to contact me (myra.jia.guerrier (at) gmail.com) via MSN to discuss, as I'm handling recruitment and a lot of the technical aspects of development.

(Remainder of this post reserved for later details)

Edited by Myrajia, 11 February 2012 - 08:22 AM.

Darksun45230

Darksun45230

Enthusiast

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts
- Nightstalker Vampires and older can use the Bloodfreeze power a certain amount of times per day. The potency of this ability and total uses per day will increase as you hit Ancient and Master.

Freezing Shout + This = OP

Hows about no Shouting (or significantly increased charging times)? Problem solved.

Kyuukei

Kyuukei

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hmm. Good point. As far as I know, enough damage from just about anything will cause Ice Form to fade away, though. One consideration, therefore, is to ensure that Bloodfreezing someone who is Ice Form'd causes the immobilization to rapidly fade. We intended for Bloodfreeze to cause damage over time anyway, so that might not even need any alteration from a coding standpoint, given that other damage sources allow the target to break free.

For clarity, the current intention is for Bloodfreeze to be more like a utility version of Frost Breath, rather than Ice Form.

Edited by Kyuukei, 11 February 2012 - 08:34 AM.

JoyousDeath

JoyousDeath

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I can help play test this mod if you need.

jack254

jack254

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
Excelent. Perhaps they could Also be the creators of the ice wraith? Maybe you should change their appearance to be more terrifying and Visible. Hopefully you could make them run faster and jump higher (with reduced fall damage) and offer them a massive hand to hand bonus. Maybe make them unable to gain shrine blessings.

Kyuukei

Kyuukei

Fan

• Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
The damage bonus was intended to apply unilaterally to everything (this includes Destruction magic), so H2H is indeed covered, yes.

The Ice Wraith thing is a cool idea (pun unintended), and I would certainly not object to making the damn things easier to see. Will probably make them an innate summon, likely at Nightstalker level and up.

Movement bonus was intended from the get-go at higher stages, independent of whether or not you're in sunlight. Not a very large bonus, mind you, but enough to be notable. Will look into the jump height but insofar as I know that won't be too hard to muck with if it's anything like Oblivion's systemic for it.

On reflection, I don't see much reason to remove Shrine blessings, given that healing spells and the like have always worked normally on Vampires in TES, though (sans Daggerfall anyways).

Edited by Kyuukei, 18 February 2012 - 02:30 PM.

Myrajia

Myrajia

Stranger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey all, we're early into development, and are looking for a scripter to help debug a couple of things with the existing vampire code in Skyrim. Essentially, the issue is that we're getting unpredictable errors in a few places. I have a piece of simple code to add an ability to the player when they feed, placed in the VampireFeed() function of PlayerVampireQuestScript. (The code is Game.GetPlayer().AddSpell(VolkiharBloodEuphoria01)).

What's strange is, I've tested this same code snippet as a script which gets called when the player pushes a button, and it works perfectly fine. However, when it's placed into the existing VampireFeed() function, it fails to activate. I've added a bit of debug code to display a message box in the same function, which DOES go through, leading to much confusion as to what exactly Skyrim's existing scripts are doing.

So, help a modding team out? None of us have very much experience in the scripting interface in Bethesda games, just general programming knowledge. Why is a simple function call failing from one place in the code but not in another?

jack254

jack254

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
I meant make the vampires easier to see (make them Fook ugly) but i would be happy with the wraiths more visible!

pwnedbyscope

pwnedbyscope

Grand Viceroy of the cheese planet dirke

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Hey all, we're early into development, and are looking for a scripter to help debug a couple of things with the existing vampire code in Skyrim. Essentially, the issue is that we're getting unpredictable errors in a few places. I have a piece of simple code to add an ability to the player when they feed, placed in the VampireFeed() function of PlayerVampireQuestScript. (The code is Game.GetPlayer().AddSpell(VolkiharBloodEuphoria01)).

What's strange is, I've tested this same code snippet as a script which gets called when the player pushes a button, and it works perfectly fine. However, when it's placed into the existing VampireFeed() function, it fails to activate. I've added a bit of debug code to display a message box in the same function, which DOES go through, leading to much confusion as to what exactly Skyrim's existing scripts are doing.

So, help a modding team out? None of us have very much experience in the scripting interface in Bethesda games, just general programming knowledge. Why is a simple function call failing from one place in the code but not in another?

it could be the way you have it activated, active vs passive, not sure though i have very little experience as well

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Page loaded in: 0.924 seconds