My plugins are invisible!

yigaltheking

well as the title says : my plugins are invisible!

I've been testing and using the creation kit a bit since it was released, training to be able to make a fun quest line that I have in writing for ages (I love makin' those things)

anyway, I've made some plugin with new cells, called it YIGALTEST.

after the save (at the data folder of Skyrim, yes I did check where the creation kit is saving a billion times and I never changed the save location) I opened the launcher, and the plugin didn't appear in Data Files, so I was a little confused, I went the the data folder and the plugin was gone! I've went to "recent files" in the start menu of Windows, and I found it there (well the shortcut to it), I clicked open file location, and guess what? it didn't find the file the shortcut was made to, which made me think I deleted it, so I made another Plugin with a few other cells, and when I was saving, I saw the plugin I made earlier at the saving screen (where you type the name of the plugin u just made), I was even more confused, so I tried to copy it from there to my desktop, and it said it cannot copy the file. I tried to load my former Plugin with the creation kit, and it was there, all the cells I made, untouched.

TL:DR : The Plugin doesn't exist outside the creation kit, and the plugins I make can only be seen (the files themselves) at the creation kit.

help? maybe it makes them auto hidden or something?

First off, I recommend you grab NMM for plugin activation as the Data Files section of the launcher may or may not cause issues.

Secondly, this should cover your issue:

If plugins won't stay activated, or simply fail to work after activating them, first make sure the plugins.txt (and DLClist.txt) files, under the \Skyrim\ folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\ on XP or C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\ on Vista/7 are writable by opening their properties and unchecking the tick mark box for "read only". Then go back into NMM and reactivate them. If they still won't work you may have a UAC issue. Some people have issues where the mod will properly appear in plugins.txt after activating it through NMM but then as soon as they launch Skyrim, it disappears again. I've yet to find the cause for this as I don't experience it, but making plugins.txt read only again after activating plugins via NMM will prevent Skyrim from removing them and they should work. Unfortunately, you'll have to make it writable, activate plugin(s), then make it read only again every time you add another plugin in the future.

If you're on Vista/7, Steam (and therefore Skyrim) is installed in the default (C:\Program Files) location, and you're having problems with replacers or simply mods (plugins) not working at all, even though you've activated them in NMM, or mods refusing to deactivate, even though all of their files have been removed, then you most likely have a UAC problem. It is possible to turn off UAC though it's not recommended for the vast majority of Windows users. To get around UAC without turning it completely off you'll need to move Steam to a location UAC does not affect (C:\Games\ is a commonly used location). This will most likely break any 3rd party utilities such as NMM as it will leave old registry keys behind that point to the location you originally installed Skyrim in. If you come across this issue, you'll have to uninstall Skyrim, clean the old registry keys, reboot, then reinstall Skyrim. I personally recommend using Revo Uninstaller as if you uninstall Skyrim through it, it will automatically scan for and ask if you'd like to delete old registry keys. If you're interested in keeping your old mods, config files, and/or saved games, tips found in Bben's Oblivion Reinstall Procedure work for Skyrim as well.

First off, I recommend you grab NMM for plugin activation as the Data Files section of the launcher may or may not cause issues.

If plugins won't stay activated, or simply fail to work after activating them, first make sure the plugins.txt (and DLClist.txt) files, under the \Skyrim\ folder located at C:\Documents and Settings\(User Name)\Local Settings\Application Data\ on XP or C:\Users\(User Name)\AppData\Local\ on Vista/7 are writable by opening their properties and unchecking the tick mark box for "read only". Then go back into NMM and reactivate them. If they still won't work you may have a UAC issue. Some people have issues where the mod will properly appear in plugins.txt after activating it through NMM but then as soon as they launch Skyrim, it disappears again. I've yet to find the cause for this as I don't experience it, but making plugins.txt read only again after activating plugins via NMM will prevent Skyrim from removing them and they should work. Unfortunately, you'll have to make it writable, activate plugin(s), then make it read only again every time you add another plugin in the future.

If you're on Vista/7, Steam (and therefore Skyrim) is installed in the default (C:\Program Files) location, and you're having problems with replacers or simply mods (plugins) not working at all, even though you've activated them in NMM, or mods refusing to deactivate, even though all of their files have been removed, then you most likely have a UAC problem. It is possible to turn off UAC though it's not recommended for the vast majority of Windows users. To get around UAC without turning it completely off you'll need to move Steam to a location UAC does not affect (C:\Games\ is a commonly used location). This will most likely break any 3rd party utilities such as NMM as it will leave old registry keys behind that point to the location you originally installed Skyrim in. If you come across this issue, you'll have to uninstall Skyrim, clean the old registry keys, reboot, then reinstall Skyrim. I personally recommend using Revo Uninstaller as if you uninstall Skyrim through it, it will automatically scan for and ask if you'd like to delete old registry keys. If you're interested in keeping your old mods, config files, and/or saved games, tips found in Bben's Oblivion Reinstall Procedure work for Skyrim as well.

I'm sorry, but this isn't helpful in the slightest. I have the exact same problem here and you've given a response to a question which wasn't asked. How does one activate a mod when the mod is NOT accessible?

Edited by potjam100

I'm sorry, but this isn't helpful in the slightest. I have the exact same problem here and you've given a response to a question which wasn't asked. How does one activate a mod when the mod is NOT accessible?

Again, THERE IS NO FILE TO ACTIVATE.

Are you mentally-handicapped or trolling? Either way, this post is clearly not for you. I have NMM. The issue here is that you're telling me to work with a file which is non-existent. I can't activate via NMM because THE FILE IS INVISIBLE. So it's as if it isn't there at all.

To put the same concept in a different situation: How does one pick up something they can't see?

Don't respond with crap. I've had enough of your smart comments.

I apologize if my responses have frustrated you, but up until now you haven't specified that you can't see plugins in NMM. This thread is about the Data Files section of the launcher and without you explicitly stating that your issue is with NMM, there's no way I could possibly know that. :whistling:

Is your plugin in the \Skyrim\Data\ folder? If not, put it there. If so, you've given NMM the wrong directory for your Skyrim installation.

I apologize if my responses have frustrated you, but up until now you haven't specified that you can't see plugins in NMM. This thread is about the Data Files section of the launcher and without you explicitly stating that your issue is with NMM, there's no way I could possibly know that. :whistling:

Is your plugin in the \Skyrim\Data\ folder? If not, put it there. If so, you've given NMM the wrong directory for your Skyrim installation.

Oh my f-...... MY ISSUE IS NOT NMM RELATED! Can you not read?

I will dumb this down so a new-born baby can understand:

1. I made and saved a plugin in the creation kit (SPECIFICALLY SAVED IN THE SKYRIM DATA FOLDER).

2. I loaded up the Skyrim launcher.

3. Data files.

4. THERE WAS NO PLUGIN.

5. I went into the Skyrim directory to see what the hell was happening.

6. THERE WAS NO PLUGIN.

The only reason I mentioned NMM is because YOU would not shut up about it.

Edited by potjam100