Getting a crash after High-res pack

Rainzcullen

Hello, after the release of the creation kit and the High Res pack from Bethesda, I have been getting a crash to desktop whenever i fast travel. I disabled the High res. Esm. and that fixes the problem, is anyone else having this issue or found a solution? My pc specs are more than capable for handling skyrim at high res, so I can't seem to come to a conclusion on the issue.

Thanks in advance! :)

hi. i have a similar problem with the high res pack. if activated the game crashes (btw) randomly. an interesting part is that if i load a specific savegame and walk to a skull that lies on the ground, the game crashes every time i get close to it!?

without the high res pack.... no problems. couldn´t find a solution.

vista, gtx460, intel e6700, 4gig.

I have the same problem.

I was running Skyrim vanilla (with Sky UI ) on ultra high settings for a couple months. Had good FPS and never had a crash at all. Then I installed the high res pack and the game crashes almost everytime I go out a door or use fast travel, and sometimes randomly. I can't go more than 5 minutes without a crash.

I'm also getting featureless purple "textures" on things at random: stone walls, Lydia's entire set of armor except her boots, the books in my inventory.. The inside of the Hall of the Dead now looks like the smooth interior of a purple starship Enterprise. :confused: Seems completely random. Sometimes they are fine, and the next time there is a problem.

Everything works fine if I uncheck the high res files in the launcher. I've edited the .ini files as I've seen on here, had the game remake the .ini files, used a 4 GB unlocker for my Win 7 32 bit OS, etc. etc.. Nothing seems to help. I might try to reinstall if I can't fix it.

Anyone have any ideas?

I am also having problems with the new texture pack from Bethesda, game crashes to desktop when ever i go outside.

game runs fine when i turn the packs off but would be nice to be able to use them.

I have re-installed and made sure there are no possible conflicting mods and updated drivers.

my specs are -

2.8ghz i7

nvidea 560 ti

4gb ram

windows 7

Still getting data to find common points, please report the Windows version being used, 32 or 64 bits. Most reports seem pointing the 32bits version having stability issues with the pack.

Well, I finally got the game to run fine with the high res pack installed by setting the graphics from my usual 'ultra high' to 'low'. I spent half an hour going all over Skyrim and didn't have my usual crashes or any purple textures.

Of course the game looks terrible now, and setting everything to 'low' defeats the purpose of the high res texture pack. :pinch: But at least I know it isn't a problem with my installation or SKSE, etc. I only had time to try the 'low' setting, so I'll try to mess with the settings again later and see what I can change before the problems set in again.

Win 7 32 bit

AMD Athlon II X4 3.00 GHz

Nvidia GTX 480

4 GB Ram (unlocked for 32 bit OS)

All patches and updates applied (Skyrim, SKSE, Sky UI) and graphics and sound drivers updated

Edited by 555Degrees

Well, I finally got the game to run fine with the high res pack installed by setting the graphics from my usual 'ultra high' to 'low'. I spent half an hour going all over Skyrim and didn't have my usual crashes or any purple textures.

Of course the game looks terrible now, and setting everything to 'low' defeats the purpose of the high res texture pack. :pinch: But at least I know it isn't a problem with my installation or SKSE, etc. I only had time to try the 'low' setting, so I'll try to mess with the settings again later and see what I can change before the problems set in again.

Win 7 32 bit

AMD Athlon II X4 3.00 GHz

Nvidia GTX 480

4 GB Ram (unlocked for 32 bit OS)

All patches and updates applied (Skyrim, SKSE, Sky UI) and graphics and sound drivers updated

You don't need to set the graphics to low with this specs, seriously. I can assure you get much better results keeping the graphics higher and avoiding that extensive pack which is too subtle to make real difference unless you get the eyes glued to the surface. Besides, most mods changing particular assets like armors, weapons and stuff overrides the pack, so the loss is still smaller than it looks.

Anyway, you may want to look into this tweak guide

PS: In a side note: you should really upgrade the OS to 64 bits, the age of 32 is over by now and the problems will only grow from now on for 32 bits OSes.

Edited by nosisab

:dance: Solved! :dance:

Got it running fine on Ultra with all graphics settings at maximum and decent FPS thanks to Stone-D's advice here . Thanks Stone-D!

This advice is for 32-bit operating systems, although someone commented that it helped with their 64-bit problems, too.

First, I used a patch that let me unlock my 4 GB of memory (again, this is a problem with Windows 7 32-bit). I used the free UNAWAVE program for that, then I rebooted. The properties under My Computer now showed that I had all 4.00 GB available. Before unlocking the memory, it said I had "4.00 GB (3.25 GB available)"

Then I followed Stone-D's advice (just entered a line in the Windows cmd console and added one line to the Skyrim.ini file), and rebooted.

When I tried the game, I could play it with the high res pack and all graphics maxed, and no texture problems or crashes even when using fast travel. It looks so much better! (Except the radioactive glowing campfire logs, but I just downloaded the fix for that.)

Well done, Stone-D!

If this doesn't help you, you might want to follow Nosisab's good advice a few posts above this. (Thanks Nosisab!) Remember that Bethesda's high res pack isn't the only one out there.

Edited by 555Degrees