Too many mods make Skyrim crash

makaki

I have looked around for a solution, but I didn't find anything helpful, so please don't kill me if this problem is already solved. Just tell me where I find help.

I have a very annoying problem with Skyrim, the crash to desktop. In vanilla mode, so no dlc, no mods installed, there are just two or three crashes a day, but the more mods I install, the more Skyrim crashes. Now apparently every mod makes the game more unstable, but not to the same extent. First I thought maybe i have to little RAM, because the mods that replace textures (like Skyrim HD) are much worse than "normal" mods that just add some new features, but even if I disable every single texture mod, the game crashes far too often (more than in Vanilla). So it's not only the texture mods.

I am not a professional, but I am not an idiot either. I know the basics about computers, but in this case I am at a loss and have no idea how to fix it.

My system:

• Intel Core i5 750 @ 2,67 GHz
  • 4 GB RAM
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti
  • Windows 7 32Bit (I know 32Bit shame on me)

I have never had problems with graphics and I played the vanilla Skyrim in High settings with constantly 60 fps. The crashes always happen out of nowhere, neither does the fps sink nor does anything else happen. There is also no error message. Just unexpected c2d.

I don't know if it is important, but I used those mods:

• Balanced Magic
  • Better Males
  • Deadly Dragons
  • Dovakhiin Hideout & Retreat
  • Enhanced Blood Textures
  • Enhanced Distant Terrain
  • Enhanced Night Skyrim
  • Glowing Ore Veins
  • JaySuS Swords
  • Lush Grass
  • Lush Trees
  • Millenia Weapon Retexture Project
  • Realistic Lighting
  • Realistic Watertextures
  • Skyrim Flora Overhaul
  • Skyrim HD 2k textures
  • Skyrim Sunglare
  • SkyUI
  • Staff of Magnus Absorb Fix & Improved
  • Warmer Magic Lights
  • Xenius Character Enhancement
  • FXAA Post Processing Injector

I tried to use all mods at the same time (except for those who are incompatible with each other), I tried to use only those which seemed to be "harmless" and after nothing happend and I still had to restart Skyrim once an hour I deactivated all and violà it worked (for at least some hours). Please help!

PS: I am sorry for my bad language, I am an Austrian student, so sorry :ohdear:.

Skyrim seems to have instability when graphical details are improved "too much". It was observable from the release day and caused the coming of utilities like 4GB (or LAA) which did set a flag on the executable to make it work as native 64 bits and then able to deal with large memory, above 3GB.

This was "corrected" in patch 1.3 which incorporated the same thing natively and then made that utility obsolete, but still can't help much if your Windows is 32bits... for now the only solution" I know is for you reducing the amount of enhance textures mods... of course the official texture pack is in the same boat.

There are utilities allowing 32 bits OSes to use more than 2GB of memory, something around 3.2 + the system reserved. But there is no way that Windows of yours to use all the 4GB there, it is a physical limitation, the number of bits is just not enough. Still I can't lightly suggest using such approach for I have seen reports of it may create general instability and DEP issues. I mean, in the whole Windows, not just in the game.

The "best" advice I can give you at this point is to upgrade to 64 bits, even because the 32 bits era is practically gone. I know most games are still produced for 32 bits (some have options for the two versions) but only because the 32 bits base is still too big to be just "forgotten" but even then, the 64 bits version works better and them should be used whenever possible. Skyrim is just starting to show what 32 bits OSes should expect from the future.

Well, of course I can advice you to get rid of of some major high resolution textures enhancers, at least try medium instead the highest possible, your video card is good but it can't help in this particular issue.

Maybe you should consider disabling the official textures pack, removing the entries from the Skyrim.ini, case you already did it, and disable it's two ESPs.

Above all, if at some point you changed Skyrim.ini in these two entries:

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

uGridsToLoad=5

to numbers greater than the default, know that is "suicidal" in terms of stability on 32 bits OS. Then you must return the values to that default and be aware it will make the savegames unplayable unless you follow a definite procedure to bring them down, let's talk about this if needed.

Edited by nosisab

first back up saves!!

might sound daft but have you tried?

nvidia hase a SKYRIM TWEEK GUIDE thats realy good. it tells you how to make better distance tweeks

also there's a few guides on SR nexus on how to get the game runnng good and with you're graphics card you should be fine

1 vanilla install (or remove all mods )

2 update (unless you remove all mods rather then fresh install)

3 install one mod then load game test then add another then repeat.

try mods that effect game play first i.e balanced magic-glowing ore veins-hideout-blood texture-jaysus swords--

--skyui-staff of magnus-warmer lights-character enhance-FXAA pp injector

but try it without

Enhanced Distant Terrain

Enhanced Night Skyrim (should be fine)

Skyrim HD 2k textures (causes crashes without 4GB patch from nexus)

not sure about these below as i have not tried yet

Enhanced Distant Terrain

Enhanced Night Skyrim

i have not been able to get the 2k texture pack working yet

and i've tried the

4GB patch of the neus site

x4 955 3.2GHZ

nvidia GTS 450 1GB ( 15- 25 fps lol)

4 GB ram

7 32bit

just not having a 4GB patch of some sort is a good reason you get a crash to desktop because the ram gets used up

as without the patch the game or computer only uses 2GB

those tweek guides will help i'm sure

Edited by leviticus198

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I am having the same problem I am using the nexus mod manager and nothing seems to be working the two mods that work are Scythe 1.4 and Equipment of Eternal Shine. Then I try to install the Temptress Race thinking it would be neat and my game instantly crashes upon start up. Is there any fixes for this? :wallbash:

I don't think its your system, my system is similar to yours and I have no problems with many mods loaded.

I seem to have problems specifically with mods that add or modify houses (adding basements to pre existing homes).

I have intel 3.17 Ghz 64bit processor, 8Gb memory, GT 260 video and Vista 64bit, running ALL high graphics and they all run just fine.

I even reinstalled my game and got more of the house mods to work by only doing house mods (other 45 mods not installed).

I still ran into a limit on how many mods that add houses or cities, that I could add.

I have 56 mods active and more ready to activate, they work fine without more than 4 house mods.

skyrim.esm

update.esm

moonpath.esm

fgc.esp

quest sea of ghosts

buildable house

customehjerim

druid den

adalmatar

chopping block wood fires

cbbecurvy

female follower tweak

linglings0002

sounds of nature the wilds

ts fetishwardrobe

dragonplate armo

werewolves of skyrim

black reach geodefix

climatesoftamriel

druid

poison duration increas

tougher quest bosses

playerhomemap marker

follower map marker

secondary locations map marker

minemapmarker

allroads map

ez e worldmap

smakit house marker

compelling treasure maps

both high res texture paks

moonpaht quest data

trap mod

alchemy organization

better follower improvements

horses for followers

ask follower skills

paarthurnax dilemma

smash locks and more

new followers outfits

chesko frostfall

chesko wearable lanterns

follower wander 2

dragon hide robe armor

dragonbone weapons complete

dovahkiinrela

bound tools

better horses

better followers sbnp

better npc faction pack

resilien dragons

unreadd books glow

dr bandolier

auto unequip arrows

So I am thinking that your hardware and software are fine.

I have a lot of mods loaded as well (roughly 100) and decided to use wyrebash to help batch files together and run smoothly. However, everytime I try to run the game it gives me this error message in my crash report

Wrye Bash starting

Python version: 2.7.3

wxPython version: 2.8.12.1 (msw-unicode)

input encoding: None; output encoding: None; locale: ('en_US', 'cp1252')

Searching for game to manage:

bush 81 detectGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:

bush 83 detectGames: skyrim: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

bush 95 detectGames: Detecting games via relative path and the -o argument:

bush 101 detectGames: skyrim: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

bush 144 setGame: No preferred game specified.

bush 151 setGame: Using skyrim game: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

bosh 6256 __init__: Loaded the BOSS API from: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Mopy\bash\compiled

bosh 6262 __init__: Loaded the BOSS API from: C:\BOSS\API

bosh 6267 __init__: Comparing version strings from the two (if the API is included in a detected BOSS install) loaded BOSS APIs.

bosh 6268 __init__: Remote BAPI vesion: 2.0.1

bosh 6269 __init__: Local BAPI version: 2.1.0

bosh 6280 __init__: Loaded the BOSS API from: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\Mopy\bash\compiled

bosh 6291 __init__: Using BOSS API version: 2.1.0

bush 81 detectGames: Detected the following supported games via Windows Registry:

bush 83 detectGames: skyrim: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

bush 95 detectGames: Detecting games via relative path and the -o argument:

bush 101 detectGames: skyrim: c:\games\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim

Already started

bosh 3936 loadLoadOrder: Mismatched Load Order Corrected

Does anyone have any suggestions on why Skyrim crashes immediately? I have corrected the load order using BOSS as well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently I have reached the "Skyrim Mod Limit" - although I'm not sure how. Nexus Mod Manager states I have 106, while Wrye Bash says I have 94 - neither of those are even close to the reported 200-250 we're supposed to be able to get to.

I'm assuming I've reached this limit as, quite literally - I crash on new games or load games. No error report or anything, it simply closes Skyrim and goes back to the desktop. However, I deactivate one mod and it works perfectly fine. I'll reactivate that mod and deactivate another - and it works, just to prove that it wasn't THAT specific mod that was causing the crash from new game / load game.

If it's really true that I only have 106 or 94 mods, then it must mean that not all mods are counted equally somehow?

Does anyone know a work around for this or why I might be getting lower numbers than I should? - Skyrim is up to date, most of the mods are up to date, and my PC is beefy enough to handle Skyrim on Ultra settings with HD Retextures with Civil Unrest on Madhouse ( basically 1920381 enemies spawn in one cell and go at it ). I've already used Wrye Bash to combine what I could, though there were only a few that I could actually merge together.

Edited by Saolite