After playing Skyrim for a while, I start getting lag spikes.

shotgun188

When I'm playing Skyrim, I'm constantly getting between high forties and sixty FPS. This makes the game lag free but after playing for a while(in a session), I get lag spikes where my screen freezes for a few seconds(along with the FPS counter) and then it goes back up to the forties again. These lag spikes can get worse and they can disappear completely randomly. Any idea how I can fix this? When I'm having lag spikes, looking around makes it worse.

• 4 weeks later...

I have exact the same problem ! Reinstalled the game but no luck :/

Same here. Was at 40ish 50ish fps, even with several mods installed, then recently started to discover this problem. I had no new mods installed since, so not sure why this is starting to happen now.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you on a desktop PC or a laptop?

Laptops have this problem quite fast. GPU/CPU temperatures cause this 'after-a-while' lag.

I've had the same problem. Fixed it by blowing compressed air through my fan in my laptop.

That was 2 months ago.

However, I'm having the same problem again. Except, Skyrim is the only game that starts lagging after a while.

I can easily play BF3 on low settings for 3 hours straight without my GPU overheating and crashing my laptop.