Proof that a player can fly in Skyrim well may be more like swimming

hex_ratt

Im more advanced with my mod already, i made it with a Dragon playing arround with some commands, animations etc, and thats what came out of it.

its still wip, but with state changing a real control scheme could be achieved, atm im controlling the dragon with while loops and changing to different animation types.

Just watch and tell me what you think?

EDIT: Video takes some time to be uploaded

Edited by DarkenDe

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea its the best animation I found to simulate the flight animation. I found a glitch tho, when you are going up, it plays the endJump idle aswell, I think it has to do with some of the conditions the JumpFall idle has so it plays the animation but after a few seconds it looks like its stepping down from a jump, im not sure if im putting it clear enough for ppl to understand lol, english isnt my first language.

Edit: Just read the comment above and the link doesnt work :/ but I like the loop idea, since I dont think the OnUpdate function is designed to do what im trying to do.

Edit2: I watched the video and I think its a pretty neat job, I also got to the conclusion the only way to get a dragon to fly is to morph yourself into one, till skse brings us more functions for papyrus, making a rideable dragon seems out of the question, since you cant get the x-plane while riding :/

Edited by porroone

Video is up, tell me what you think :-)

Read your edit, and its true, the CK limits us in many ways, another problem is the TranslateTo command, while it is really good it ignores any Collisions, if we only knew what happens when you swim, because when i try to only change the anim, i just swim on the ground, not starting to swim. And another problem are the behaviors, being scripted etc, when doing what i do in the video i can only start those anims while being in firstperson, if i try this in Thirsperson, the camera gets glitched, i hope that skse will bring more commands, especially memory eidting.

Edited by DarkenDe

One thing tho how expensive is to run the while loop ? my experience scripting on other games always showed me that loops are just good to itinerate through tables, usually most of the scripting language brings a "Think" function where you can set the next itineration in ms, thats why I went for the OnUpdate function, it looked like the logical choice, but after testing it a bit I discover it tends to pile s*** if the code runs faster than the interval you are setting.

One thing tho how expensive is to run the while loop ? my experience scripting on other games always showed me that loops are just good to itinerate through tables, usually most of the scripting language brings a "Think" function where you can set the next itineration in ms, thats why I went for the OnUpdate function, it looked like the logical choice, but after testing it a bit I discover it tends to pile s*** if the code runs faster than the interval you are setting.

Yeah the performance thing, my script is yet a mess and needs optimization, its just "rubble". But i have a good way escaping these whiles, i could post the script i made for the hover anim.

Yes, post it, maybe we can help each other since we are trying to do the same.

The funny thing is that you can actually get a flying dragon by just using animations, creating whats called a behavior, but Its hard, the only thing I managed to do is make the dragon mount go to the hover animation when I press the jump key. Also the Animation tab offers a lot more conditionals functions than papyurs.

Edited by porroone

Keep up the good work, guys...

I made my flying script only because I like to play toons with marvel abilities, but scripting can only take it so far. Yes, better flying animations are needed.

Currently, I'm working on a toon with the abilities of Johnny Storm, aka human torch.

Edited by hex_ratt

Keep up the good work, guys...

I made my flying script only because I like to play toons with marvel abilities, but scripting can only take it so far. Yes, better flying animations are needed.

Currently, I'm working on a toon with the abilities of Johnny Storm, aka human torch.

How do you achieve the swimming state? Or do you make use of TranslateTo or TCL commands? I mean, when applying the Swim anim, the character only hovers on the ground.

Edited by DarkenDe