Heavy Traffic ×

I am MitchelKnight

MitchelKnight

Good welcome, citizens, I am MitchelKnight, named after a Fallout 3 Character. I am a Career and Technical Student at Holmes Community College in Ridgeland, Mississippi. My residence is in Madison, Mississippi, though. I am another member that lives with his parents, my dad being another member of the Nexus. (YAY, Parental Supervision)

I have a question regarding the combined usage of Gmax, Nifskope, and the CK. I'm making an original miscellaneous item that is also a quest item. I have the Mesh done, but now I'm struggling with getting the base texture to show in NifSkope. Second, do you need to have the mesh made into strips or a shape? The mesh imports with TriStripsData, is that normal for a miscellaneous item? Finally, what compression format is appropriate for each category of object, mesh, model, etc.?

Please, every other tutorial I've tried is too general for my part of the project dad and I are doing in the Creation Kit.

Specifically, I'm making a bowl, the Glass Bowl of Zenithar. It's a craftable quest item, requiring a book containing the instructions for making it, malachite, and a special tool, also a misc. quest item.

Any tutorial related to this is acceptable, as long as they contain the specific technical details I need to know:

Using Gimp what compression format of dds is appropriate for small quest items?

How do I automatically create normals for light reflection in GIMP? (Photoshop is for Suckers who don't care about their expense account)

If the first question is impossible to do in GIMP, what free third-party alternative can I use to properly convert to dds.

Here's a pic of the base texture for the bowl.

I know it's rushed, but you see how I make Textures? It's hard to take up as much space as possible. I'd rather use little space as possible. Other than that, I hope you welcome me to the forum with open arms.

EDIT: This is for Skyrim, if anyone is wondering.

Edited by MitchelKnight

Good welcome, citizens, I am MitchelKnight, named after a Fallout 3 Character. I am a Career and Technical Student at Holmes Community College in Ridgeland, Mississippi. My residence is in Madison, Mississippi, though. I am another member that lives with his parents, my dad being another member of the Nexus. (YAY, Parental Supervision)

I have a question regarding the combined usage of Gmax, Nifskope, and the CK. I'm making an original miscellaneous item that is also a quest item. I have the Mesh done, but now I'm struggling with getting the base texture to show in NifSkope. Second, do you need to have the mesh made into strips or a shape? The mesh imports with TriStripsData, is that normal for a miscellaneous item? Finally, what compression format is appropriate for each category of object, mesh, model, etc.?

Please, every other tutorial I've tried is too general for my part of the project dad and I are doing in the Creation Kit.

Specifically, I'm making a bowl, the Glass Bowl of Zenithar. It's a craftable quest item, requiring a book containing the instructions for making it, malachite, and a special tool, also a misc. quest item.

Any tutorial related to this is acceptable, as long as they contain the specific technical details I need to know:

Hello Mitchelknight.http://www.herfree.com/avatar1.jpg

Using Gimp what compression format of dds is appropriate for small quest items?

How do I automatically create normals for light reflection in GIMP? (Photoshop is for Suckers who don't care about their expense account)

If the first question is impossible to do in GIMP, what free third-party alternative can I use to properly convert to dds.

Here's a pic of the base texture for the bowl.

I know it's rushed, but you see how I make Textures? It's hard to take up as much space as possible. I'd rather use little space as possible. Other than that, I hope you welcome me to the forum with open arms.

EDIT: This is for Skyrim, if anyone is wondering.

Ok, clearly I'm having trouble viewing the mesh in CK. The Warning is:

"TEXTURES: (null) : (null) is missing a diffuse map."

I thought I had everything labeled correctly in NifSkope. I even made a new folder in both meshes and textures to store my model and mapping assets, respectively. Was I not supposed to do that?

Obviously, I have absolutely no idea how the directories for both custom mesh and texture data are organized in the data directory. Could this have to do with ArchiveInvalidation?

The directories I'm trying to get either the game or the CK to read are:

skyrim\data\textures\MitchelKnight

skyrim\data\meshes\MitchelKnight

Do I have to add the directories into ArchiveInvalidation?

Actually, a better question is, what are the general conventions for storing custom assets for use in either Skyrim or the Creation Kit?

UPDATE: No need, after working on a basic model hack, I found out the problem, poor nifskope alchemy and a crapload of tools not optimized for Skyrim! Niftools does NOT create CK-ready assets!

Edited by MitchelKnight

• 2 years later...

Ok, clearly I'm having trouble viewing the mesh in CK. The Warning is:

"TEXTURES: (null) : (null) is missing a diffuse map."

I thought I had everything labeled correctly in NifSkope. I even made a new folder in both meshes and textures to store my model and mapping assets, respectively. Was I not supposed to do that?

Obviously, I have absolutely no idea how the directories for both custom mesh and texture data are organized in the data directory. Could this have to do with ArchiveInvalidation?

The directories I'm trying to get either the game or the CK to read are:

skyrim\data\textures\MitchelKnight

skyrim\data\meshes\MitchelKnight

Do I have to add the directories into ArchiveInvalidation?

Actually, a better question is, what are the general conventions for storing custom assets for use in either Skyrim or the Creation Kit?

UPDATE: No need, after working on a basic model hack, I found out the problem, poor nifskope alchemy and a crapload of tools not optimized for Skyrim! Niftools does NOT create CK-ready assets!

What did you do?? i have the exact same error and my nif files reference each texture in the skyrim data folder correctly and everything :sad:.