TUTORIAL: Assign Meshes to NEW Body Parts

FavoredSoul

TUTORIAL: How to Map Meshes to NEW, Non-Replacing Body Parts

Hello Modders!

As most of us should know there is a list of Body Parts to which we can assign armor, jewellery and other miscellaneous clothing items. You can always view this list whenever you're editing a piece of armor or clothing in the Creation Kit.
There is a problem though. Most people trying to get meshes assigned to one of the 17 new and unnamed body slots have been quick to discover that the meshes won't appear in game.

Well, let that frustration end cause i'm here to let you know that they DO work, and here's how:

Step One: Creation Kit

• Load your *.esp file in the Creation Kit
  • Open up windows for the Armor and ArmorAddOn Properties of your new item

Below is an example of the Armor and ArmorAddOn properties of a pair of Angel Wings which I want to be able to wear as a completely new body object.

http://www.favoredsoul.com/images/TESV-2012-02-21-16-40-06.jpg
As you can see in both windows there is a Biped Object list which you can make selections from. I want the wings to take up a new slot so I have clearly marked one of the unused slots: 44 - Unnamed. Whatever you select, the selection you make should be identical in both windows.

Don't save and close the CK just yet! Next comes the part people don't seem to know about.

Step Two: Nifskope

• Load up your custom armor mesh in Nifskope (don't forget to repeat the process for 0 and 1 versions)
  • Expand the NitriShapeData branch belonging to your armor mesh to reveal the BSDismemberSkinInstance block
  • In the Block Details window, scroll down to the bottom of the list to the row called Partitions
  • Expand Partitions until you can see a row for Body Part (depending on your mesh there can and will be multiple body parts. You will need to open them so you can check the values and/or make changes)

This is what it should look like:

http://www.favoredsoul.com/images/TESV-2012-02-21-17-11-26.jpg
As you can see in my example for Angel Wings, I have set the Value field for Body Part to 44.
44 is the SAME NUMBER as the slot for Biped Object I selected in my Armor and ArmorAddOn properties!
These numbers MUST MATCH otherwise your meshes will be invisible when equipped in game.

NEXUS WIKI Bodyparts List Suggested Usage:

44 - face/mouth

45 - neck (like a cape, scarf, or shawl, neck-tie etc)

46 - chest primary or outergarment

47 - back (like a backpack/wings etc)

48 - misc/FX (use for anything that doesnt fit in the list)

49 - pelvis primary or outergarment

52 - pelvis secondary or undergarment

53 - leg primary or outergarment or right leg

54 - leg secondary or undergarment or leftt leg

55 - face alternate or jewelry

56 - chest secondary or undergarment

57 - shoulder

58 - arm secondary or undergarment or left arm

59 - arm primary or outergarment or right arm

60 - misc/FX (use for anything that doesnt fit in the list)

FAQ: How do I get these Body Slots to show up in First Person Display?

By default only meshes using the Body, Hands, Forearms, Ring and Shield slots will be visible in First Person Display.

Additional Body slots can be activated for first person display by editing racial properties and selecting the desired body slot(s) in the column list for First Person. This must be done for EVERY race you want to activate the body slot for.

http://www.favoredsoul.com/images/TESV-2012-24-09-22-14-56.jpg

End of Tutorial.
Thanks for reading. Now go make some mods!

Edited by FavoredSoul

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You sir/ma'am, may have just given the community the information they needed for a mass number of stylish clothing mods, new ways to customize our character, and maybe even a few new systems into our game.

Your amazing. XD

Now, on to making face masks, wings, tails, and an assorted number of anime outfits. :D

Edited by Akinial

TUTORIAL: How to Map Meshes to NEW, Non-Replacing Body Parts

Hello Modders!

As most of us should know there is a list of Body Parts to which we can assign armor, jewellery and other miscellaneous clothing items. You can always view this list whenever you're editing a piece of armor or clothing in the Creation Kit.

There is a problem though. Most people trying to get meshes assigned to one of the 17 new and unnamed body slots have been quick to discover that the meshes won't appear in game.

Well, let that frustration end cause i'm here to let you know that they DO work, and here's how:

1. Load your *.esp file in the Creation Kit
  2. Open up windows for the Armor and ArmorAddOn Properties of your new item

Below is an example of the Armor and ArmorAddOn properties of a pair of Angel Wings which I want to be able to wear as a completely new body object.

As you can see in both windows there is a Biped Object list which you can make selections from. I want the wings to take up a new slot so I have clearly marked one of the unused slots: 44 - Unnamed. Whatever you select, the selection you make should be identical in both windows.

Don't save and close the CK just yet! Next comes the part people don't seem to know about.

Step Two: Nifskope

1. Load up your custom armor mesh in Nifskope (don't forget to repeat the process for 0 and 1 versions)
  2. Expand the NitriShapeData branch belonging to your armor mesh to reveal the BSDismemberSkinInstance block
  3. In the Block Details window, scroll down to the bottom of the list to the row called Partitions
  4. Expand Partitions until you can see a row for Body Part (depending on your mesh there can and will be multiple body parts. You will need to open them so you can check the values and/or make changes)

This is what it should look like:

As you can see in my example for Angel Wings, I have set the Value field for Body Part to 44.

44 is the SAME NUMBER as the slot for Biped Object I selected in my Armor and ArmorAddOn properties!

These numbers MUST MATCH otherwise your meshes will be invisible when equipped in game.

Choose at random!

If everybody uses the same slot for their custom meshes items will start replacing other items.

End of Tutorial.

Now for the Possibilities!

Yes! Cuirasses CAN be seperated from Leg Armor!

Yes! Multiple Rings CAN be worn!

Bracelets!

Anklets!

Capes!

Earrings!

Backpacks!

Decorative Weapons!

Hairpieces!

Anything!

Up to 17 additional meshes can be added to our characters : )

Thanks for reading. Now go make some mods!

I folowed this with uncertain results.

One item 50 (slave collar) will not dispay whatever slot (it uses the neck bone)

One item 51 (nose ring) seems to go up his/my nose

Only one item renders ok 52 (labret stud). This file actually had both stud and ring in so used slots 51 and 52; only the stud rendered ok. Th ring was up his nose.

I fear that the meshes may be corrupt cause getting nif in and out of blender and nifskope so difficult.

Edited by Andysaurus

TK's link to a thread by AmethystDeceiver says slots 50 and 51 should be left out; so that makes 15 slots, and not the available 17.

@andysaurus

Meshes MUST be rigged properly if you want to find success adding new custom meshes to new body parts. Skin data can be difficult to create properly in Blender without proper *.NIF support.

Edited by FavoredSoul

TK's link to a thread by AmethystDeceiver says slots 50 and 51 should be left out; so that makes 15 slots, and not the available 17.

@andysaurus

Meshes MUST be rigged properly if you want to find success adding new custom meshes to new body parts. Skin data can be difficult to create properly in Blender without proper *.NIF support.

Nothing to do with rigging (as such).

Not certain why what I did worked, but a rexport got them working. Can now be seen in the render windows.

Had something to do with the Blender models (yet not it's exported nifs) having unwanted bones (certainly dummy bones) in the bone set. Yet the stud whch worked had all the orignal bones in the set !!!!!