Crafting Menu Customization

cfcohen

Figured it out ... sort of. I'm not sure how to add new type keywords, however you can change existing keywords to something else

In Creation Kit from the Top Menu, Go to (Gameplay) -> (Settings...)

you will get a long list of game settings

do a filter search (for example, type in sStudded)

you should only get one option with the same name. in the string value block type in whatever you want it to read (like for example FACTION)

save your mod, load it, enter the game, and head to the smithy.

in your smithing recipes where STUDDED was you will find FACTION in its place

i hope this helps out ... there are a bunch of others you could experiment with (there is one for FALMER and DRAUGR for example) it may be possible to key into those strings to make new smithing categories but I'm not sure what changing them would do.

good luck and happy modding :)

• 5 weeks later...

I have nothing to add, just wanted to thank all those that have added.

I've been reading each post carefully to see if anyone has figured out how to create new keywords that work.

I like all the work-arounds posters have meantioned. This is great to know.

I didn't fully understand this statement:

"They're stored in the game settings as strings in the form sXXX, where XXX is the material type. Since there's no clear connection between the material type keywords and they're translations, I've had to flail a little to find what is probably still an incomplete list:"

What I thought it meant was:

FORM "siron" = STRING "IRON"

so that "weapmaterialIron" calls "siron" when displaying it in the "Forge" Menu.

When I created a new FORM I get this error:

"Unknown GameSetting Type encountered in gamesetting::Copy."

Also, concerning changing FORM "sfalmer" STRING "FALMER"

If I were to rename the STRING to "Jsword" would that cause a problem with the game???

"It is possible to change these strings in the Game Settings menu, for example to make them mixed case, or perhaps more importantly to rename an unused category (Draugr? Falmer?) to something else (Arrows or Soups?). "

I ask this cause I am aware that Skyrim could use a condition to check if "sfalmer" == "FALMER". If it does, chaning the STRING will cause issues.

It's possible to export the Game Settings strings to a text file from the Creation Kit. I'm not 100% sure how that might help but it might be a step in the right direction. Of course there is no import option so once again I don't know if that little bit of info helps any, but you would think there is some sort of purpose for that function other than simply viewing the string values and their associated editor ids in a jumbled, unorganized mess...

I didn't fully understand this statement:

"They're stored in the game settings as strings in the form sXXX, where XXX is the material type. Since there's no clear connection between the material type keywords and they're translations, I've had to flail a little to find what is probably still an incomplete list:"

I've not been active in this forum or the Creation toolkit for some time, so this post doesn't have details that it probably should. Game Settings is a separate editable list under a different menu. They are basically assignments for strings, integers and floats. You're on the right track, but sFalmer and sIron are NOT forms, they're Settings. Just look through the menus for "Game Settings".

You're on the right track, but sFalmer and sIron are NOT forms, they're Settings. Just look through the menus for "Game Settings".

So sFalmer being a setting, would my question about changing it be correct as well???

Previous question:

"I ask this cause I am aware that Skyrim could use a condition to check if "sfalmer" == "FALMER". If it does, changing the STRING will cause issues"

Talk about Deja Vu :facepalm:

Been there, done that :biggrin:

See this thread here, it is not possible to create new crafting categories because the keywords for the material types are hard coded into the game engine.

Oh, btw, not a good idea to change the material keywords under Gamesettings. It will cause all items that used the default keyword to go under MISC in the crafting menus.

Edited by steve40

• 2 months later...

I've tried to look for this myself, with no luck.

It does appear that crafting keywords for categories are hardcoded.I also looked at the source code for CraftingMenu.swf but all I could find was a reference to a categories list from which the menu is built, which I assume comes out of the DOBJ.You can see the DOBJ in the Gameplay menu of the CK ("Default Objects"), where you can alter the value of keyword entries, but you can't add any new ones. There are also 2 FormLists linked to the DOBJ: MaterialsArmor and MaterialsWeapons, but adding any new category keywords to these lists did not add the categories to the game for me, so there must still be a hardcoded function in between or I am still missing something. The keyword for Falmer armor is not in the MaterialsArmor list, so that's probably why the above poster could not see Falmer Armor show up as a category. I haven't tested yet if Falmer would be recognized by adding it to the list.

I did however manage to simulate a sort of menu management using different furnitures. I created new furnitures and added a custom keyword to those, then linked recipes to those furniture keywords instead. This took the recipe out of the original furniture and made it craftable in the new furniture menu. For example, at first I had made soulgems craftable at the forge. I then created a new furniture called Gem Cutter, took the soulgem recipes, and changed their related furniture keyword to the Gem Cutter instead. This made them not show up in the Forge menu anymore, but they did show up in the Gem Cutter menu and were perfectly craftable. The items still show in their original keyworded categories (i.e Misc, Iron, etc) but you do achieve some form of list management that works if you're willing to create different furnitures. For myself, to save space and keep immersion, I scaled these furnitures to a small size and put them on a shelf or on top of the original furniture, for instance my Gem Grinder is now a small dwemer looking contraption placed on the tabletop of an enchanting furniture.

What you have to do to make this work is create a copy of an existing furniture (I took the Blacksmith Anvil). The important part is that the original furniture's keywords are preserved EXCEPT for the keyword that starts with Crafting. E.g. for the anvil, the keywords are: FurnitureSpecial, FurnitureForce3rdPerson, CraftingSmithingForge, WICraftingSmithing, isBlackSmithAnvil. The WICraftingSmithing keyword seems to determine which menu needs to be shown, while the CraftingSmithingForge keyword determines the list that will populate the menu based on linked recipes. Remove CraftingSmithingForge from the furniture and replace it with you own keyword, then link all recipes you want to craft on this furniture to your new keyword. I also found that if you remove IsBlackSmithAnvil (or IsBlackSmithForge) this will break the crafting menu (it crashed the game for me when I used the linked furniture) - so whatever kind of crafting furniture you make, the game must think that it the original furniture linked to the menu you're showing for this to work.

Hope this helps.

This is excellent, thanks for the write up.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone here looked into the fact that hearthfire has an added crafting category? as far as I know, this has been done in one of the scripts added in hearthfire, and not the game itself. So it should be possible to find out how they did it with hearthfire by looking at all the scripts in there...right? o.o

If you are right about the script addition, this would be the only reason for me to get Hearthfire. I hope it is true!